PDA

View Full Version : How to remove At tranny?

mike king
03-11-2004, 07:42 AM
I'm thinking to take my AT tranny off,could someone give step by step how to do that also can I drop a 88-89 tranny in my 86 Accordlx?

k-roy
03-11-2004, 12:25 PM
There is an artical posted in the HOWTO section for AT to MT conversion. That should help you out.
You really should download the manual, its at the very top of the page.
http://www.pauldesign.ru/honda/shopmanual.html
:bow: :bow: :bow: Thank you again PaulAerodeck for the PDF!

markmdz89hatch
03-11-2004, 01:16 PM
It's really not that bad at all. Just takes time, and patience, but the difficulty level is not too bad.

First of all, yes, the tranny from the 88-89 will bolt right up. If it's from an LX-i or SE-i, it's gearing is a little different. Actually better then your currently.

Without going into much detail....
disconnect the battery.
pull the air box off the carb and remove necessary vacuum lines.
remove the starter.
drain the tranny.
take off the axles (requires popping the lower ball joint on each knuckle and removing the fluted retainer bolt on the suspension fork.)
remove the right (pass. side) radius rod arm.
disconnect the dog-bone mount and mounting bracket. (top mount; under the airbox)
remove the front and rear lower engine/tranny mounts.
remove the lower center cross-beam (remember to support the engine while/after doing this)
remove all the bolts (14mm) that hold the tranny to the motor (don't forget the rear bolt that's bolts in opposite of all the rest.

Really, just check out the how-to. It's your best bet to getting this done as fast and easy as possible.

**Edit: I'm sure I forgot plenty.

ah shit, don't forget the cover plate on the lower side where the tranny and block meet. There's a little cover that you have to take off so you can loosen the torque converter bolts. It's a bitch to take off the tranny with the t/C still bolted up.