PDA

View Full Version : Somethings Terribly wrong please help

ChaseR
03-11-2004, 12:12 PM
Ive been having lots of trouble with my clutch cable recently but thats not the topic of this question. the car seems to have no power until 2500 rpm, it is bogged down so much after it gets past that point it accelerates normally. I thought it was becuase my clutch cable was messed up but I disconnected it and drove around without a clutch (powershifting) but the problem still exist! please help!

Blkblurr
03-11-2004, 12:15 PM
Does it do it all the time or just when cold? Give more info so people can help!!!

k-roy
03-11-2004, 12:15 PM
Its normal for a Honda not to have power at low rpms. Try driving a Civic sometime.
Just make sure its tuned up with new fluids, filters, timing, pcv valve, etc...
If its really bad you should have a exaughst shop do a backpressure test, your cat could be clogged.

ChaseR
03-11-2004, 12:20 PM
well i have no Cat, so thats not the problem, And the amount of power I dont have at low rpms is noticable because the car Shakes a lot, this PCV valve would it make it seem as though the choke is stuck (it is not), and it does it when its warm and when its cold!

NXRacer
03-11-2004, 12:39 PM
could be your timing is a bit off also.

k-roy
03-11-2004, 12:41 PM
I bet the timing is retarded a little too much.

ChaseR
03-11-2004, 12:45 PM
how would I check my timing?

k-roy
03-11-2004, 12:52 PM
You have 2 options really. Pay a jackass to do it or just buy a timing light and be set for life.

Adjusting the timing is easy, all you need is a timing light and 2 vacuum plugs.

Get the engine nice and warmed up.

Then hookup the timing light to the battery and to cylinder #1 (Accesory belt side).

You need to remove the 2 vacuum hoses that connect to the vacuum advance solonoid on the distributor. Then plug them with vacuum plugs, some guns come with a set of them.

Then loosen the 2 or 3 mounting bolts for the distributor just enough so you can rotate the dist by hand.

Point the gun at the timing hole and rotate the dizzy till it is set to what it needs to be. The timing hole can be seen here (http://3geez.com/showthread.php?t=31438)

You should have a sticker under your hood stating the correct timing.

markmdz89hatch
03-11-2004, 01:01 PM
Kroy actually touched on another possibility. Check your vacuum advance solenoid to be sure it's still got good vacuum. I've seen that if that's shot, the car dogs in the low rpm's. Also check for other vacuum leaks throughout the system.

It's either that, or you're not getting good fuel delivery. Check the fuel filters, injectors, etc. Also check to see if your ecu is throwing a code. Does it idle funny too? If it does, I'd blame it on a vacuum leak.

ChaseR
03-11-2004, 01:27 PM
nope it idles normal, I looked under the seat and I didnt see an ECU, just a plastic thingy that wont lift up

markmdz89hatch
03-11-2004, 01:41 PM
nope it idles normal, I looked under the seat and I didnt see an ECU, just a plastic thingy that wont lift up

the ecu is under that plastic cover. it bolts down. unbolt it (3 screw/bolts) and the ecu is under there.

Still check out at least the disty vac advance sol. for good vacuum. Fuel filters and carb cleaner is also suggested.

k-roy
03-11-2004, 01:50 PM
Its easier to remove the seat to access the ecu. Its held in by (4) 14mm bolts.

NXRacer
03-11-2004, 01:51 PM
why the hell do you need to remove the ECU to check for codes?? just flip down the little window and look at the LED. . . . . . .

Michael Cote
03-11-2004, 07:34 PM
Sounds simular to a problem I had. Check low speed solenoild at back of carburator. Temperarlily hook power source from fuse box to the single wire on that solenoid. Find accessary pin on fuse box under coin box under dash that is only power with ignition on. Just run a wire out of door and fender to carb and If that is the problem run permanent wire with an inline fuse through one of the rubber plugs on firewall under dash. Goodluck, Mike C.

ChaseR
03-11-2004, 09:08 PM
thank you for all your help guys, I will try Micheals suggestion saturday when I have time. I however have a new symptom, I added some carb cleaner to the gas and now it only does it when it warms up, when the engine is below normal op temp it runs fine! Perhaps this will limit the options to whatever it may be!

Michael Cote
03-14-2004, 06:42 AM
Mine only did it when it was warm after running for 5 minutes or so at outside temp of 70f or so. It's worth a check. Can't hurt anything.