PDA

View Full Version : Converted from auto to 5 speed - Now the car doesnt start!..

thegreatdane
03-13-2004, 10:45 AM
I just got finished converting it to 5 speed, but now the damn thing wont start... Before I started it would start instantly, now nothing... The only things i havent done is replace the gauge cluster the ECU and connected the back up light. Sometimes when i turn it over it will run for 1 rotation or so. The fuel pressure is fine and it has a spark.

:EDIT: It does start :)

thegreatdane
03-13-2004, 10:50 AM
The ECU doesnt show any codes.

BITESIZE
03-13-2004, 11:47 AM
Did you pull the whole engine?

hondamanlxi
03-13-2004, 12:19 PM
is it turning over? if not then you didnt disable the AT trans safety switch!

if you did that, its prob the ecu

thegreatdane
03-13-2004, 12:22 PM
No only pulled the transmision, but no need to worry because i got the car running now. It turns out that it was because of moisture in the engine that it wouldnt start. The car had been sitting outside for about an hour with the hood open while it was raining a bit and aparently that was enough to prevent the car from starting. After it dried for about half an hour it started instantly. So the swap was succesful. It runs very fine and shifts easy. :cheers:

skull1441
03-13-2004, 02:33 PM
one less automatic 3g on the road ... thats great :thumbup:

BITESIZE
03-14-2004, 08:36 AM
Good to hear, post some pictures of that ugly ass automatic!!!!! Yippee!

HondaBoy
03-14-2004, 08:55 AM
i'd love to do that, but i think i may just look for an engine to drop in along with a 5 speed. so, got any pix? you know we all wanna see what you did. did you take any through the process?

thegreatdane
03-14-2004, 09:37 AM
I didnt get any pictures in the process. My camera is so damn lousy, that I decided not to take any pictures. Plus most of the work I did in the evening and my camera doesnt have a flash - how stupid is that... But i'm glad i didnt pull the engine out, that would have made it take longer. It's a pretty easy swap it just takes some time to get that giant huge automatic pulled out. The pedal assembly bracket thing is easy to change. As soon as you get the auto tranny out you'll get finished pretty quickly. As written I didnt change the ECU and the dashboard. I dont really think it makes any difference to change the ECU.

thegreatdane
03-14-2004, 09:39 AM
And I should probably add that all the work was done with 2 jack stands and one floor jack, so you dont have to use a lift.

jayp6969
03-14-2004, 09:42 AM
nice....good work man