PDA

View Full Version : list your suspension

lightbulblxi
03-14-2004, 12:42 AM
i figured i would make a thread for every one to list there suspension and describe it. this is for people who are thinking of what kind of struts and springs to get. so tell what springs and struts u have, and describe them, i.e. ride quality, turning ability, quality of peices.....

me, i have dropzone coilovers and stock struts. the ride is VERY bumpy, but i can turn at higher speeds with out having all the body roll. i also like them cuz they have many different heights to adjust to. i also have a rear strut bar, which i have noticed a big difference with, when cornering, it makes the back feel like its on rails.

86AccordLxi
03-14-2004, 01:22 AM
On my 3rdgenner I had h&r springs (1.5 inch drop) with tokico struts (after blowing out brand new monroe sensatracs in 8-9 months). The tokicos were a big improvement over the monroes, but the front still had a bounce to it. I also had a dc sports strut bar in front (cheap ebay find :) ) that made a pretty big difference; almost too much so: I think the front became too stiff with it. Though it felt much more confidence inspiring with the bar, I think the car may have pushed a bit more (might just be my imagination too). Also, I put in poly urethane swaybar bushings, just for the endlinks that stiffened up the front nicely.

Overall, I really liked my susp. setup, even with the bounce. The drop looked good and performed reasonably well, especially with my 16x7.5 TSW wheels (205/40 toyo proxes fz4). I found the tokicos for a total of $90 (bought the front and rears seperately; both pairs used) and the springs were around $160 shipped). I will say that it's incredibly important to do suspension right the first time or else you're just wasting money; for me, it was buying the monroes and hoping they'd last with the lowering springs (which they didn't).

Sorry for the novel. Any other questions about my susp, shoot me a pm.

Alex

NOAHS88accord
03-14-2004, 02:33 AM
I have ractive coilovers for 90-93 accord
custom built front strut bar
koni struts

everything is still sitting in boxes until i return from Korea, I may sell the Koni's for a good price, brand new never opened.

SteveDX89
03-14-2004, 05:43 AM
Sprint springs
Koni struts up front
Revalved Bilsteins in back

This is a good setup. The ride is stiff but the look and the feel is great. I feel so much more connected to the road. It feels like I go faster. :cool2: The handling is a great improvement as well. I don't have any strut bars and I have the stock front DX sway bar in the front and no sway bar out back and I took a 90º turn at 35 mph and I felt cofident it could do more.

shepherd79
03-14-2004, 05:58 AM
on my old accord i had intrax springs with stock struts. stiffer ride without bounce.
my new ride will have something special, i can't say that right now, because it will be suprise.

AZmike
03-14-2004, 07:55 AM
I have H&R springs with Koni specials dampers. The difference from stock was huge. The combination produced a well balanced much better handling car. The ride is firm but not stiff and works fine even on poorly maintained roads. I'd say the car handles bumps better than it did before. The dampers make a huge difference in the slalom when autocrossing. I left the rear camber uncorrected at -0.5 degrees for improved corning traction. I set the front the same with the Prelude control arms and have had extremely even tire wear for the 20k I've driven this setup. Setting the caster to the maximum setting for my car, 2.2 degrees improved the turn-in repsonse. The Konis are set one turn from full soft front and rear. I highly recommend spending the extra money for good dampers--consider getting revalved bilsteins, at least for the front, if you plan to lower your car.

RobT5580
03-14-2004, 09:14 AM
Koni Struts (set 2 turns off soft per Jim)
H&R Springs
Suspenstion Tech Sway Bars
DC Front Strut Bar
Justin's Custom Rear Strut Bar

Soon to get Ground Controls and Ingalls front/rear camber kits and the suspension is done. I think it rides great and handle awesome for what i have on it. My other coupe has Eibach Sportlines and Tokico's and the ride is not even comparable to the Koni's but sadly enough they are no longer available.

cody509
12-20-2005, 11:58 PM
where do you guys get your h&r's from and how much shipped?

jonrichert
12-21-2005, 12:17 AM
got mine through lordco, and had to pay out the ass for them. benefits of living in the great white north i guess:uh:

my gear: worth about as much as the car itself haha
-H&R's
-Tokico's front/rear
-Lude front UCA's
-15x7 aluminum wheels (powdercoated white)
-Toyo Proxes T1's

Acid X
12-21-2005, 02:48 AM
I have Tokico Blue's (HP's) with Dropzone 2.25" SPRINGS (not coilovers). The ride is GREAT and it looks just as good as it feels. The springs are very firm, not stiff.. It rides really smooth on alot of places, but sometimes you can really notice the bad roads. On the worst road i can think of that i've driven on though, the ride was very good for a lowered car. It wasnt shaky and bouncy and throwing me around, it took the bumps nicely, but still made me feel like i had enough feedback to know what i was going over.

The ride is not bouncy what so ever, either. Unfortunately i didnt put the rubber pieces in the spring mounts on the rear struts so its a bit noisy.. But i'll probably put the rubber pieces in.

Anyway.. Yeah. :)

Aer0deck
12-21-2005, 06:47 AM
i want to know if bomz coilover lowering springs are any good in combination with stock shoks!!! if anybody can help me........

Hash_man_Se_i
12-21-2005, 11:05 AM
I had H&R springs with tokico shocks all around... Had a bit of a bounce in the front on rough roads, but for normal driving it was fine. The car handled great after the drop, understeered less and reduced body roll a lot too. This spring I have new tokicos for the rear, Koni's for the front, and the same H&R's. I'll also be ordering some ST sway bars asap.

NXRacer
12-21-2005, 11:16 AM
Civic Aerospeed coilovers on 98 Civic SI struts in the rear, and the same coilovers on the front on stock struts.

With the struts, you can lower your car 3.5" without getting a harsh/bouncy ride. The struts bolt right in the rear, but i havent worked with trying to get the fronts to bolt in. The ride is awesome for a car thats been dumped at least 3".

EricW
12-22-2005, 04:50 PM
Koni's (at 3/4 stiffness)
Ground Control coilovers w/fully threaded sleeves for koni's that sit on the snap rings 350 front/250 rear
Suspension Tech front sway bar w/poly bushings
Addco rear sway bar w/poly bushings
All of Justin's bars(lowers not installed yet)
Ingalls front camber kits
The set up handles great. The ride is a little stiff for daily use but isn't that bad with the stock tires. The set up works great for autoX on my 14's with azenis sport's (RT-215). When autocrossing I get under steer at lower speeds and the rear end comes loose at higher speeds. I would like to have to corner balance the car to tune the suspension better but can't find anyone with scales and I don't wont to $1000+ for them. Overall if all these parts where still available I would recommend the setup to anyone.

3gn86lxi
12-22-2005, 08:02 PM
Koni's at max stiffness.
Springtech 2.5 inch front, 2.25 in the rear.
Modded pinch forks for an extra .5 drop.
Tokico Blues in the rear.
E-Bay rear lower tie bar.
Poly bushings on stock LXI sway bars.
Front Ractive strut bar.
It's a good setup, although I could have lived without the Koni's. I guess now I need to autox to justify them.
With my 16's and my Zexius Xi326 tire(siped) I have yet to find the limits of the suspention.

Busted_Blue
12-22-2005, 11:14 PM
Koni's at max stiffness.
Springtech 2.5 inch front, 2.25 in the rear.
Modded pinch forks for an extra .5 drop.
Tokico Blues in the rear.
E-Bay rear lower tie bar.
Poly bushings on stock LXI sway bars.
Front Ractive strut bar.
It's a good setup, although I could have lived without the Koni's. I guess now I need to autox to justify them.
With my 16's and my Zexius Xi326 tire(siped) I have yet to find the limits of the suspention.

No kidding. The konis aren't much of a difference unless sway bars are installed.

88Accord-DX
12-23-2005, 04:59 AM
Koni Reds in the front w/ dampers, set max. stiffness
Stock shocks in rear
Suspension Tech. springs 2 1/2" front 2" rear drop
Prelude uppper control arms
New upper ball joints in front
Toyo tires

cardoc33
12-23-2005, 09:33 AM
Koni's (at 3/4 stiffness)
Ground Control coilovers w/fully threaded sleeves for koni's that sit on the snap rings 350 front/250 rear
Suspension Tech front sway bar w/poly bushings
Addco rear sway bar w/poly bushings
All of Justin's bars(lowers not installed yet)
Ingalls front camber kits
The set up handles great. The ride is a little stiff for daily use but isn't that bad with the stock tires. The set up works great for autoX on my 14's with azenis sport's (RT-215). When autocrossing I get under steer at lower speeds and the rear end comes loose at higher speeds. I would like to have to corner balance the car to tune the suspension better but can't find anyone with scales and I don't wont to $1000+ for them. Overall if all these parts where still available I would recommend the setup to anyone.

If you don't mind me making a suggestion, try putting the stock front sway bar back on with poly bushings, set the front shocks a click softer, the rear shocks to full hard. You may find the slow speed understeer much less and the snap oversteer at speed more controllable. It would rotate much better, more progressive. If you have the bucks, move up to a 50 series 15" set-up. You get more tire, less sidewall.

halxi
12-23-2005, 09:33 AM
Tokico HP Blues - front
Tokico HP Blues - rear
Intrax 1.7" Drop - front
Intrax 1.7" Drop - rear
General Exclaim UHP Tires
16x7 Nippon F2's

planning to buy Justins complete suspension bar set
upper strut bar - front
upper strut bar - rear
lower tie bar - rear

2dsei
01-07-2006, 01:39 PM
bomz coil-over springs
bulsten struts
front dc strut bar
FRONT UPPER CONTROL ARMS ADJUSTABLE 4-DEG Cam 4-DEG cas polly bushings

Strugglebucket
01-09-2006, 03:50 PM
sprint springs 2¼" drop
koni reds front and rear
suspension techniques front and rear sway bars
dc front strut bar
prelude arms in front and spacers in rear for camber
all bushings replaced (some moog, some honda)
205/45/16 bf goodrich sports on rota subzeros

the konis i have set at max stiffness with the rear spring perch on the higher slot, so i have 2¼" drop in front and a bit less than 2" in the rear. camber is -0.5 front and rear with the caster set at 2.2. ride is firm but smooth until you hit a bump. then it's kinda hard. haven't really done toooo much crazy driving with it yet but the grip is rediculous compared to stock. i get nice oversteer when lifting off the throttle while cornering near the limit. i'll probably try adding a rear strut bar some time in the future since the rear twists a bit with the stiff springs.

paso100
01-11-2006, 07:55 PM
Revalved Bilsteins to match
Suspension Techniques 1" drop springs (331 ft/lbs front, 124-180 ft/lbs rear)
Suspension Techniques front and rear anti-sway bars w/ poly bushings
AIM adjustable camber plates at 0 deg.
Full set of Justin's strut/tie bars: front, rear, upper and lower
16 x 7 Rota Slipstream wheels (about 13 lbs each) shod w/
Falken Azenis

Incredible grip, stability, tracking, etc. Car feels better at 90 mph than at 40 mph. And that's in the canyons.

menace01
01-12-2006, 04:34 AM
Aerospeed springs-1.5" drop
stock struts

SteveDX89
01-12-2006, 09:49 AM
Sprint springs
Koni struts up front
Revalved Bilsteins in back
This is a good setup. The ride is stiff but the look and the feel is great. I feel so much more connected to the road. It feels like I go faster. :cool2: The handling is a great improvement as well. I don't have any strut bars and I have the stock front DX sway bar in the front and no sway bar out back and I took a 90º turn at 35 mph and I felt cofident it could do more.

I'm gonna update here. I put on a LX-i front sway bar and a DC Sports strut bar. I have Prelude arms too which I never mentioned and spacers out back. I put 16's on as well. Good lord does that car handle. There's still understeer which typical in a FF car. I need to stiffen up the rear with a strut bar and sway bar so I can get it more neutral.

Strugglebucket
01-13-2006, 02:20 PM
I'm gonna update here. I put on a LX-i front sway bar and a DC Sports strut bar. I have Prelude arms too which I never mentioned and spacers out back. I put 16's on as well. Good lord does that car handle. There's still understeer which typical in a FF car. I need to stiffen up the rear with a strut bar and sway bar so I can get it more neutral.
i think you understeer because you're missing some iron in the front end:kekeke:

SteveDX89
01-14-2006, 05:45 AM
i think you understeer because you're missing some iron in the front end:kekeke:

Haha. It would def. understeer more with that stinkin slab of iron.

89LXcoupe
03-26-2006, 03:46 PM
Eiback Sportline (1.5")
15" wheels with 205/50/15 Toyo Proxes
I'm looking to put a camber kit on. It looks like most people are using the kit from Ingalls. Is this the best? Will it give me enough adjustment for the 1.5" drop? Thanks for your help.

87accordhea!
03-27-2006, 02:10 PM
i have a question?
im about to lower my car, but..............
i was going to buy:

tokiko blues hp:
front
rear
coilovers:
dropzone 0-4'

and i was wondering if this would be a good set up?

i want the ride to be kinda stiff, but not stiff to were i'd be bouncin out of my seat.

EricW
03-29-2006, 05:40 PM
and i was wondering if this would be a good set up?
i want the ride to be kinda stiff, but not stiff to were i'd be bouncin out of my seat.

You will need better shocks than the tokicos to handle the coilovers.

87accordhea!
03-30-2006, 09:01 AM
You will need better shocks than the tokicos to handle the coilovers.

what would u prefer, besides koni's?

Mike's89AccordLX
03-30-2006, 09:12 AM
I have my car lowered 1.5" in the front and 1" in the rear.

Tokico Blues front and rear.
Tokico 1" lowering springs.
Modified damper fork for an extra 1/2" in the front.

The ride is really good on my winter wheels. When I have my 17's on I don't like the ride on bad roads. But on smooth decent roads it's a great setup with rims.

AZmike
03-30-2006, 06:49 PM
what would u prefer, besides koni's?

Revalved Bilsteins.

87accordhea!
03-31-2006, 01:26 PM
aye thanks man!
i bought some :
TOKICO STRUTS and SPRINT SPRINGS! 2.25 drop
i havent put them on yet, they wont be here until monday, but i hope this setup is cooh!

2dsei
04-11-2006, 04:43 PM
just ordered FRONT UPPER CONTROL ARMS ADJUSTABLE 4-DEG Cam 4-DEG cas polly bushings

Hash_man_Se_i
04-11-2006, 05:04 PM
^^ What kind of control arms did you get that have that much adjustment? and whered u get them from?

T-Funk
04-11-2006, 07:00 PM
ive got tokico blues all around and new honda springs because they all broke in half lol, and ls mesh rims with 195X55X15's

ive been unable to find tokico springs short of calling tokico myself, but is that pretty much the only option to get the springs by themselves?

2dsei
04-18-2006, 09:03 AM
hey i got them from http://www.truckn-store.com/product.asp?returnURL=default.asp&ID=95445 should be getting them today will post pics when i recieve them

smufguy
04-18-2006, 09:53 AM
yeah i would like to see how they look

2dsei
04-20-2006, 04:00 PM
http://memimage.cardomain.net/member_images/1/web/601000-601999/601612_145_full.jpg here is a pic of the front upper arms they were acually cheaper then buy them from the parts store

smufguy
04-20-2006, 04:04 PM
looks interesting. put it on the car ASAP and take some pics. maybe i might end up getting this :D

EricW
04-20-2006, 05:14 PM
How thick is the plate that the ball joint is on?

Hash_man_Se_i
04-20-2006, 09:24 PM
^^ Ya i'm kinda wondering the same, it doesnt look like that solid of a piece to me, IMO i'll stick to camber wear lol.

2dsei
04-27-2006, 03:34 PM
its 1.25 plate