PDA

View Full Version : Ecu ?

zerotap
03-14-2004, 01:07 AM
When you do some modifications to your cam i.e. get a stage 1 grind done to it, throw on some adjustable cam geers etc, but keep the block fairly stock will I need to get a new ECU chip or just have it reprogrammed at shop certified to work on our ECU's. Also If I keep my A20 block but just go EFI will I need to change stock ECU or again just have it reprogrammed at a shop. Thanks. These are just questions I am writing down for now while I am planning a rebuild project for the summer time.

shepherd79
03-14-2004, 05:44 AM
you don't have to reprogram the ECU with all the mods. reprogramming will help out, but it will cost you about $300 to reprogram it.
everytime you add something to your car, it is best to reset ECU. pull the fuse under the hood fuse box, wait 10-15 seconds and plug it back in.

zerotap
03-15-2004, 01:03 AM
Cool thanks. If I decide to change to EFI can I reset the ECU as well or will more need to be done ?
you don't have to reprogram the ECU with all the mods. reprogramming will help out, but it will cost you about $300 to reprogram it.
everytime you add something to your car, it is best to reset ECU. pull the fuse under the hood fuse box, wait 10-15 seconds and plug it back in.

bobafett
03-15-2004, 09:20 AM
eeeek... carbed accords dont really have ecus... sorry...

2ndgenludedude1986
03-16-2004, 02:13 PM
eeeek... carbed accords dont really have ecus... sorry...

auctually i think they might have a computer. my lude has one that just controls simple engien commands. it dones not throw codes tho. it is totally uninteligent. jsut runs misc. sensors leikt he oxygen sensors and stuff liek that. like i said i dont kno if the carbed accords are similar to that or not. but either way it shouldnt give you a problem.

A20A1
03-16-2004, 02:40 PM
Bobafett, the carbed chip controlls when to hold or bleed vacuum from the solenoids in the black box, and from there vacuum controlls the diaphragms or valves.

zerotap, The cam on it's own may alter idle / vacuum signal a bit so you'll need to adjust the carb, but thats it.
The adjustable cam gear is a bit more involving and I wouldn't reccommend adjusting it untill you first get the carb set up with the reground cam.

zerotap
03-17-2004, 06:13 AM
A20A1

Cool thanks for info. When I rebuild the engine this summer I'll decide to go either EFI or stay carbed. Once I know that I'll come back here with some more questions. I'll definately be asking a bunch of questions about going with adjustable cam gears ( If I can find any for our cars that is ). Right now I just have a stock A20 block with 2.5" exhaust and fart cannon muffler. I'll keep what I got stock so I won't have to mess with the computer. I'll wait for that when I drop the new engine in. I'll also email Sean and ask what kind of stock computer an 88 carbed dx has so I know where I am starting from.