PDA

View Full Version : attention carb techies! whys my 3gee a little biach?

pixiesfan78
03-14-2004, 11:34 PM
ok you guys have been a great help to my 3gee and i. every since i took out the vac lines and a/c my car is a lot more fun to drive. but i got one more question 4ya of course. it idles perfect seems to have more power and runs cleaner but it still did not fix the thing that bothers me most about my accord. in fact i think ill make a post called what annoys you the most about your accord. any ways the thing that annoys me the most about my car is that i absolutely have to wait untill the thing is completly warm before driving wich takes about 10 minutes or more its done this even before the vac removal.if i try to drive early idle could go to high for one thing but most of the time even after it idles down i still need another minute or two of reving the engine or it just stalls out and then i cant get it started for like 5 minutes carb has been rebuilt its pretty clean and mixture seems good'float level is good. how can i be absolutly sure my accelerater pump is working ?it also hesetates on the take off if i push the accelerator with to much force it hestates and bogs down almost dieing until i let up on the accelerator then it takes off rather slugishly untill 2500 rpms then its good to go. most of all though why does it die if its not totally warm? if i could get around these really annoying little problems i could devote more time and cash to restoration of the intierior and extierior hey mabye then i wont be scared to post pics of my ride up here haha . :werd:

A20A1
03-15-2004, 11:36 AM
Do you have a choke? If not then it's going to have a hard time keeping idle... also which thermovalve did you use if you kept the choke?

Mike's89AccordLX
03-15-2004, 01:10 PM
It might have a vac. leak and that would cause the hesitation. Spray some carb cleaner or brake cleaner around the carb surfaces if the idle changes you know you have a vacuum leak.

pixiesfan78
03-15-2004, 07:15 PM
yes i kept the choke im not sure about the thermo valve i thought the choke operated strictly off the electrical plug. i know i pluged the themovalve mounted right behind the cam cover on the left so could that be a problem do i need a thermovalve hooked up if so could someone mabye show me a pic of how they hooked up thers any help is always much apprieciated.

accordlxi2.0
03-15-2004, 07:46 PM
if the choke open's all the way then the problem is it's getting too much gas not enough air, at least that's what it was with mine's.
so i made a custom air filter it seem's to be doing the job.
if you make your own remember this : the further away the filter is the better.

pixiesfan78
03-15-2004, 08:11 PM
cool ill check out the choke tomorrow how far should it open at full operating temp?if its opening all the way do just loosen the tension in the electric choke?thanks a lot

pixiesfan78
03-29-2004, 02:14 PM
fixing my accelorator pump fixed 90 percent of the problem it starts on the first turn every time now. still a little hesitation sometimes if hit the gas hard. im calling that a vaccume leak between the carb and efe thingy so im gonna pull the carb again and use some sealant hopefully it should kill the hesitation alltogether. ill let you know what happens.

Mike's89AccordLX
03-29-2004, 02:43 PM
Hey I just want to let you know not to use a sealant that can be eaten away by gasoline. I know that RTV won't work. I'm using this Blue stuff that starts with an H.......

I forgot the name but I can find out for you tomorrow. The stuff is really good and my instructor told me to use that with a gasket so it will seal better.

-Mike

pixiesfan78
03-29-2004, 07:52 PM
cool let me know what it is?also i did use rtv on the accelerator pump it was leaking and it was all i had it has not started leaking again its been three weeks or more i thougt it might be a problem but i used very little around the edges so not to plug the small ports do you think the gas will eat it away and send it into my engine if so does this cause a problem?