PDA

View Full Version : Black box in trunk of SE-i

Elijah
03-15-2004, 02:03 AM
Ok I was just looking in the trunk of my wifes se-i and saw this black box.It is mounted on the roof of the trunk not trunk lid.It looks like it could be a factory amp?Not sure though.Anybody know?

SteveDX89
03-15-2004, 03:03 AM
You are right, sir. Factory amp.

Elijah
03-15-2004, 03:10 AM
Thanks I was kinda stumped when I saw it

Dennis
03-15-2004, 08:02 AM
just curious, anyone know how many watts this factory amp dishes out?

Moodybluesr
03-16-2004, 02:03 AM
The factory amp would be part of a Bose setup, correct? Before you go messing with Bose crap, make sure you check the impedence on their speakers so nothing gets messed up. Bose regularly uses 6, 8, and even 12 ohm speakers in their setups which makes it especially difficult to mix and match aftermarket parts in there. In many cases, it is better to just rip out their crap altogether if you are wanting to upgrade your sound.

Hash_man_Se_i
03-16-2004, 11:48 PM
Yes Elijah it is the Stock Se-i Bose amp. It supposedly puts out 150watts, but I dont beleive it for a second.. especially when the "6inch" speakers in the front of the se-i's are really just 3" speakers in a small ported enclosure.

Anyways... I just had my Deck replaced in my Se-i a few months ago, and the only problem is, is that you have to rewire the speakers right to the deck, and you can not use the Bose amp, you must completely bypass it.
I have an Alpine 60W x 4 deck, and the Bose speakers ran at about 2.5ohms, not 10 like everyone thinks. The speakers seemed to hold up well to my deck, even though I cranked it quite a bit.

The only downside to putting in a new deck in an se-i, is that you will lose your steering wheel controls, but you can get an adapter to make them work again.

If you have any more questions, feel free to PM me.

smufguy
03-17-2004, 08:08 AM
you can send the stock honda headunit to Alpine and get the internals worked up to put out more power. I am guessing that who makes our 3g stock stereos. cause i know from the 4th gen onwards the factory headunits where alpines, thats why its awsome when u get a honda factory unit. But i dontknow, i never really liked the look of em, if they were totally hidden i wont mind having the stock one with different internals, atleast no one would steal it :).

jacc420
03-17-2004, 03:53 PM
i have the same little black box in the trunk of my stock lxi does any one know if that was an option for the lxi

accordlxi2.0
03-17-2004, 04:10 PM
it's more likely an amp, i have a amp in mine's and i hooked up my pioneer hu with no problem's.

DanLXI88
03-17-2004, 09:22 PM
Head units and Amps sure have come along way in the past 15 years :)

Hash_man_Se_i
03-18-2004, 10:06 PM
you can send the stock honda headunit to Alpine and get the internals worked up to put out more power. I am guessing that who makes our 3g stock stereos. cause i know from the 4th gen onwards the factory headunits where alpines, thats why its awsome when u get a honda factory unit. But i dontknow, i never really liked the look of em, if they were totally hidden i wont mind having the stock one with different internals, atleast no one would steal it

Ummm... no. Amp and stereo in the Se-i was made by BOSE. some say "no mids, no highs, gotta be BOSE". Not the best in car stereo, but they arent really bad at all, and that is what is used in many new honda's and Acuras. NOT Alpine.

And it is not "awesome" when you get any factory head unit. Most factory head units are somewhat cheaply made, and by upgrading to a good aftermarket Head unit like and Alpine, Eclipe, Nakamichi, Clarion.. You will notice a huge difference.

Head units and Amps sure have come along way in the past 15 years

Definately, after seeing my Factory amp out of my car, I almost laughed. Becuase they can fit a more powerful amp inside a Head unit along with all of the other things like a CD drive... lol.

it's more likely an amp, i have a amp in mine's and i hooked up my pioneer hu with no problem's.

Yes as I said, the black box is an amp... However.. It is not like any other aftermarket amp.. it is wired to work with this stereo setup, and as far as I know, not any others. If you are installing an aftermarket head unit, you CAN hook up an amp to it, but not the Factory BOSE amp.

i have the same little black box in the trunk of my stock lxi does any one know if that was an option for the lxi

Is this box plastic? if so, and it has many wires coming out of it, then it could be an amp, and maybe even the BOSE amp found in the Se-i's... However I do not beleive it was an option, I think it was only in the SE-i's... But may have for some reason been installed in another model aftet the car was bought from the factory.

smufguy
03-19-2004, 04:17 AM
hash_man, I was not talking about the SE-i headunit. if you read my post, you will see no mention of it. A regular honda headunit without any special audio package comes with alpine headunit internals. Atleast its what it is from the 4th gen on. :dunno:

HondaBoy
03-19-2004, 11:28 PM
my 6gee has the stock stereo made by alpine. its nice already, i'd love to just add an amp and some subs. dont know if thats possible with that ones, i've wondered if it has rca output things.

Hash_man_Se_i
03-20-2004, 11:58 AM
hash_man, I was not talking about the SE-i headunit. if you read my post, you will see no mention of it. A regular honda headunit without any special audio package comes with alpine headunit internals. Atleast its what it is from the 4th gen on.

Sorry, my bad.. I totally didnt know that, pretty cool if you ask me, but the 4th gen stock stereo sounds pretty bad alpine or not.

my 6gee has the stock stereo made by alpine. its nice already, i'd love to just add an amp and some subs. dont know if thats possible with that ones, i've wondered if it has rca output things.

Yes, you can add an amp and subs, but from what I have seen and heard with my own ears, it will sound much better if you get an aftermarket deck.

accordlxi2.0
03-20-2004, 08:10 PM
um . . . . . . . . . well when i had my lx-i it clearly said bose on all speaker's and the amp said bose.
i had the tape and cd option too.
the tape was messed up so i just lubed it it worked fine, the cd was fine till it dicided to crash on me.
which i invested on the pioneer, which i hooked up, you just gotta know which wire is which.
and i had added some 6x9 american pro's too, which sound better.
when i sold it i took that shit out, made time to put it in the lx, sound's pretty good.
i have to say with the factory i did'nt like cause the bass will go out at high volume's which was why i hated bose in the first place.
and plus smufguy alpine came in our's too, well i seen it on the speaker's.

POS carb
03-20-2004, 08:21 PM
#1 yea those bose speakers are not going to work with some head units because of the low impedance, depends on the radio's protection features.

#2 yes the Honda units in the 3gee has an alpine amp section

#3 if you're looking to bump any speaker more than 4" worth a damn you need an amp! If you want to keep costs down you'd be amazed at what a set of some Pioneer 2 and 3 ways with a 4 channel 50-75 watt each RMS will sound like

dXsquared
03-20-2004, 08:27 PM
its "no highs? no lows? its gotta be a BOSE"

see how it rhymes?? Hash Man must really do alot of oil, cuz he sounds pretty fucked LOL!!

Travis

Hash_man_Se_i
03-21-2004, 11:19 AM
see how it rhymes?? Hash Man must really do alot of oil, cuz he sounds pretty fucked LOL!!

Ummm... ok.. I already said that.

Elijah
03-21-2004, 12:49 PM
thanks everyone

accordlxi2.0
03-21-2004, 03:55 PM
hmm then pioneer must be really good, cause my mom's jbl are about 3.5 ohm's, and my bose are about 2.5 ohm's.
and these are 5 1/4. up front.

jacc420
03-21-2004, 04:23 PM
come to think of it when i bought the lxi there was like a car phone setup in it with the base to the phone on the center counsel and a phone cord pluged into it and a speaker next to the visor i never used it so the box could be the main unit for the phone anyway whatever it is i disconected it when i bought the car