PDA

View Full Version : **Help** Engine Revs from 1500-2000 will in neutral

3rdGAccordGuy247
03-15-2004, 09:43 AM
OK my engine will keep reving from 1200-2000 will in neutral. It will rev then drop, rev then drop. also if im driving and i shift back in to neutral it will rev even if i am goign 40. Would that be a bad sensor maybe the 02 sensor. There is no horsepower loss. Also i have my iat connected to a resistor that brings in more air into the combustion chamber. It is a 1989 lxi. It started after i downshifted from 5th at 48mph to 4th floored it, didnt fell like it was enough juice, so i downshifted again to 3rd to at about 4 1/2 revs to get through the red light. After that my engine started to act as just escribed.
Help anyone
Thank you :tongue:

shepherd79
03-15-2004, 10:01 AM
first, get rid of that resistor. it doesn't do jack shit. i bet you got that on ebay too, it is all BS.
second, check the ECU for any codes. move the driver seat forward and look behind and under, you will see small window or cap (pop the cap open). if the light blinks, count how many times. if the light is off, everything is fine there.
third, if the ECU is not giving you any codes, you have bad warm up valve, it is located near throttle body, you can adjust it a little, but it will get worse and worse, so it is easy to just replace it. It is $50-70 valve. and there is a diff between them if the car has manual or auto tranny.
i hope that helped.

1988starter
03-15-2004, 10:45 AM
Yea I would go with fast idle valve I got one new 70 shipped of www.hondaautomotiveparts.com

3rdGAccordGuy247
03-15-2004, 01:57 PM
Would either of u happen to have a picture of the location of the warm up valve, and does the fast idle valve do anything for performance. .. So the resistor is a piece of crap then. If i wanted to upgrade airflow and fuel regulation i would have to get a performance ecu, any recommendations. lol lastly with the dry nos system does the spray nossle go into the throttle body or the intake tubing, and how many buttons need to be installed. My friend said that one was needed under the accelerator that way when ever i floored it , it would arm the nitrous. Then put another button on my steering wheel to inject it. Does that sound rite at all.
Sorry for all the questions and i sincerly appreciate the help and fast replies
thank you

1988starter
03-15-2004, 06:23 PM
OK here is a pict it is #7. If you want to upgrade air flow start with your basic intake then headers exhaust ect. Also throw away that resistor. For an arming switch just mount a toggle somewhere on the dash.http://www.hondaautomotiveparts.com/catimgs/13SG70_D06.gif

shepherd79
03-16-2004, 04:16 AM
Would either of u happen to have a picture of the location of the warm up valve, and does the fast idle valve do anything for performance. .. So the resistor is a piece of crap then. If i wanted to upgrade airflow and fuel regulation i would have to get a performance ecu, any recommendations. lol lastly with the dry nos system does the spray nossle go into the throttle body or the intake tubing, and how many buttons need to be installed. My friend said that one was needed under the accelerator that way when ever i floored it , it would arm the nitrous. Then put another button on my steering wheel to inject it. Does that sound rite at all.
Sorry for all the questions and i sincerly appreciate the help and fast replies
thank you

the fast idle valve won't do anything to the performance, but if you don't change it, the idle will keep jumping.
if you want to control the Air fuel mixture a little better, i would recomend Apexi AFC. (air flow controller). it controls the MAP sensor output to increase the flow of the injectors. it is very nice thing to fine tune your car.
about the Nitro. do not use dry kit. you will have higher chances to blow the engine. use NX wet kit. if you need more info about the Nitro ask NXracer, he sells NX kits.

smufguy
03-16-2004, 08:00 AM
Alex, whats the difference bwt the auto and manual tranny based fast idle solonoid valves or the warm up valve you mentioned? I have a 5spd but i have an auto valve i guess, cause i pulled from like three 3geez if im not mistaken and my car fast idles at 1500 and when warmed up idles at 800. i dont see why it would make anything different at the intake tho :dunno:

NXRacer
03-16-2004, 08:12 AM
hmmm thats exactly what my car is doing. After i get on it it tends to idle up and down like that. I just thought it was due to me removing my stock intake system and replacing it with a short ram. . . . . . i'll have to look into that.

As for the nitrous setup, the switch on the throttle body is for spraying. It engages when the throttle is wide open and sprays a shot. The arming switch is inside the car. Its what turns on the system.

shepherd79
03-16-2004, 08:54 AM
i don't know what is the diff between fast idle valves, all i know is that when i went to honda dealer they had two valves. one for manualand the other one is for auto.
the cheap way to fix the problem is to remove the two screws on the top of the fast idle and take big flat screw driver and turn it clockwise while the car is warming up. the fast idle should be about 1400rpm.
if you fast idle is fine, adjust the valve when the engine is warmed up. turn it till it stops jumping up and down.

3rdGAccordGuy247
03-16-2004, 09:00 AM
Hey thanks for the posts,
Hey i found out it was the fast idle valve, got another one from the dealer for 81.45. ITs funny if u take ur car to pepboys, they act so superior in there " wre car people thing" that they dont bother to listen to ur problem rather just its a 90 dollar diagnostic charge. However when u take it to midas or more of a not so well known mechanic shop. theyll walk out to ur ca with u pop the hood, listen to the problem and tell u wut it is without charging a dime.
Nxracer , so u wre saying the switch on the sterring wheel/dash was to arm it and the switch on the bottom of the acclerator was to shot it. ??? What did u mean by wide open. And what are the dangers of using a dry system, compared to a wet.
Thank you
ps: 1988 starter , so the resistor doesent do anything , because i believe i can fell the car pick up a little bitter at top end speeds but maybe that is just my imagination. I read the advertisment for it but by any chance do u know exactly what it does
thanks

3rdGAccordGuy247
03-16-2004, 09:02 AM
Shephard 79 wut woudl the total be with shipping for the apexi afc and k&n filter.

1988starter
03-16-2004, 09:05 AM
What the resistor is soposto do is trick the computer into keeping the timing advanced usting the vacume advance I would ditch it and just advance the timing a couple degrees

smufguy
03-16-2004, 09:19 AM
Whats the main reason the fast idle solonoid valve does not work? is it the gasket seat? bad spring? cause its all there is to it, it keeps more air going in under cold start and the spring moves up and closes the inlet after the coolant warms up. I have three of them that i pulled from the junkyard sitting in my house and only one worked cause mine had the same erratic problem of idle jumping from time to time. Seems like its all there is to it. But the valves look exactly the same. Only the gaskets seem to have been worn out, one of them was soo bad that it had no gasket on it :)

shepherd79
03-16-2004, 09:21 AM
3rdGAccordGuy247 check your private messages.

smuf, i think the mail reason for the fast idle to fail has something to do with spring. i may be wrong about that.

1988starter
03-16-2004, 09:34 AM
I tried the dcrew thing it worked 85%of the time for about 2 months then I just got annoyed and got one from majestic honda

NXRacer
03-16-2004, 09:56 AM
Nxracer , so u wre saying the switch on the sterring wheel/dash was to arm it and the switch on the bottom of the acclerator was to shot it. ??? What did u mean by wide open. And what are the dangers of using a dry system, compared to a wet.
Thank you

The switch that triggers the system to shoot nitrous into the intake is on the throttle body. When the throttle is all the way open it activates a switch that tells the solenoids to shoot a short spray of nitrous. You can substitute the wide open switch on the throttle body for a button on your steering wheel although having a button on your steering wheel is more dangerous and less accurate.

wet systems are MUCH safer to use because it basically eliminated the possibility of detonation which happens quite often with dry kits due to the motor leaning out for lack of fuel.

3rdGAccordGuy247
03-16-2004, 01:57 PM
ok gotcha, stupid me u when u say throttle i thought u were talking about something else.

3rdGAccordGuy247
03-23-2004, 02:00 PM
LOl heres a funny story. It wasnt the fast idle vavle. It was the screw that controls the r[pm scale. I took it over to my mechanic and he kinda laughed then just put the screwdriver in and bam it was fixed. So anyone want to buy a factory direct brand new fast idle valve sealed in box. Asking only 60 bought it for 106.57 will provide receit.
Thanks
Accordguy

skull1441
03-23-2004, 02:32 PM
can't u return it ????

smufguy
03-23-2004, 04:59 PM
yeah you should be able to return it if its unopened to the dealer, but i guess u opened it. bummer

3rdGAccordGuy247
03-25-2004, 01:48 PM
Nah there saying because they had to special order it, and bullshit like that. BEcause it didnt come straight from the dealer. So anyone want it 60 bucks

superaccord
04-22-2004, 02:32 PM
Nah there saying because they had to special order it, and bullshit like that. BEcause it didnt come straight from the dealer. So anyone want it 60 bucks
i want it...my car is having the same idle problem so i'm fixing alot of parts...i replaced my egr valve. that wasnt it. but it was bad anyway. and now its still does it. so this is the last thing i think i can try....any suggestions....
let me know

superaccord
04-26-2004, 07:43 PM
i want it...my car is having the same idle problem so i'm fixing alot of parts...i replaced my egr valve. that wasnt it. but it was bad anyway. and now its still does it. so this is the last thing i think i can try....any suggestions....
let me know
ok guys...i replaced my fast idle valve.....the car still does it....Does any one know what else it could be? THis is really starting to frustrate me. is there a screw somewhere on a fuel injected engine that i can adjust or something....if so where is it? Suggestions needed...thanks

slickwilly
05-02-2004, 04:57 PM
I had a similiar problem. My 88 lxi would idle like that when warm and would be hard to start when warm. It turned out being the engine coolant temperature sensor on the thermo housing closest to the engine. It was $26.
HTH.

smufguy
05-04-2004, 07:37 PM
I had a similiar problem. My 88 lxi would idle like that when warm and would be hard to start when warm. It turned out being the engine coolant temperature sensor on the thermo housing closest to the engine. It was $26.
HTH.

i am running with the ECU throwing a code 6, which is the ECT and it does not do anything. my car always cranks on one key turn no matter if its cold or wet or warm.

AccordAddict
07-18-2004, 10:43 AM
Hey my car revs like that also, when in park and neutral, where do you turn the RPM Scale thing? wheres it located? PLZ HELP! get a picture and circle the area, OR SOMETHING! please help, thanks

A20A1
08-13-2004, 02:28 AM
I have a few valves I took off the EFI intake manifold, I don't need em.

A20A1
08-13-2004, 02:36 AM
How is your coolant level accord addict? didn't you say you overheated...
If so did you Properly bleed your coolant... do you know how to properly bleed your coolant? We can tell you how if you're not sure.

Do you realize that fluctuating idle could be because your valve or other coolant based sensors are not recieving coolant properly because of air in the coolant system? There should be no reason to adjust a throttle/idle screw when it was working perfect before... don't try to hide your problem by raising the idle... and certainly don't do it to avoid doing a simple tuneup/check to your engine, it's not worth it.

The basic things to check is your fluid levels... but the fluid level for your coolant can be full and you can still have air pockets...

AccordAddict
08-13-2004, 03:30 PM
it has been doing the revving thing since i bought the car, before all my mods. i think my car is totally fine now. it doesnt over heat anymore, the fans always come on now, and its running good. i just want that damn reving to stop in neutral and park. i found a gold screw i dunno if thats it or not, a red line is in front of it, its above my intake. is that it????

sgaddie
08-30-2004, 07:31 PM
I cracked open that bleeder fitting on the top of the water outlet, while my engine was warming, and it spit out nothing but air for nearly 2 min, then a little coolant, then a steady stream. Damn I guess I had some air in there! I also adjusted the cold start valve for a 1500 rpm idle. Now, after it kicks off the "fast idle" mode, the idle drops to about 500rpm, which makes it run "rough as hell" according to my wife. Then after it gets good and warm, the idle comes back to about 900-1000 and smooth with the A/C on, which I consider to be very good. But, if you turn off the A/C, it goes back to 14-1500. So what did I screw up (or in, or out.....)? Please help!

AccordAddict
08-30-2004, 07:41 PM
ok so you bleed the coolant for air. maybe thats my problem. do i simply unscrew that screw (forgot where the screw is located) and let air come out and then when coolant starts coming screw it back on?

AccordAddict
09-03-2004, 03:07 PM
Hello? also, do i have to take off the radiator cap when im doing this?

AccordAddict
09-03-2004, 03:31 PM
Ok i just bled the coolant and there was NO air! all but coolant came out. so i guess thats fine, and also toyed with the gold screw to lower rpm that did nothing either. man wtf is wrong, could my EGR Valve be doing this? it has a code 12.

Slavic
09-04-2004, 03:56 PM
AccordAddict You do need to have the radiator fluid cap off and you need to be adding the fluid as it leaks out. If you didn't do that you didn't do it properly and only made it worse by leaking even more coolant. As I told you in PM, from my own experience, air in the system is the reason for your surging idle. Make sure you turn your heater on all the way, wait until the fan has come on at least once revving your car to heat it up more quickly if needed and follow the instructions in the how to thread: http://3geez.com/showthread.php?t=6572

Also you want to keep it at least 50-50 coolant water in order to prevent rust so keep that in mind when adding.