PDA

View Full Version : Hot Engine!!

My 89 Accord Lxi
07-10-2002, 09:52 PM
i need help my engine seems to get hot someone told me that older engine do that but i dont think thats the problem cuz my fan comes on after i turn it off and it sounds weird and there is a loose wire in the fan so i dunno what it could be and my car the car reads it like normal it doesnt show it getting hot or nothing and i thought it was broke but one day me and some friends dumped the anti freeze in it to make it heat up and see if the needle read it as getting hot and it read it. so can someone plz tell me whats going on? :wtf:

L Squared
07-10-2002, 10:07 PM
Well a little more info is needed. But I'll take a shot at this. If just the fan turns on after you run the car then that's fine and normal. The cooling system is desgned to do this.

However, if the needle goes above the middle then there is something wrong. It could be a many things but in my experience it's something simple like the theromstat. But, if you do have too much coolant in youor system that will cause it to over heat.

I could be wrong, but that's what it seems too me.

-Lē

DBMaster
07-11-2002, 06:02 AM
Yeah, it's not unusual for the fan to come on after the car is shut off. The fan that runs is the auxiliary fan (the smaller one on the driver's side of the radiator)

The "loose wire" sound you are talking about is probably related to wear in the motor bushings. The smaller fan motor has a tendency to wear out before the larger one. Mine is definitely louder than when it was newer.

A lot of people on this board have had to replace their fan motors so count yourself lucky that it still works!

89LXiR-acer
07-11-2002, 05:39 PM
Timing belt/water pump also in option for your overheating problem

POS carb
07-11-2002, 05:45 PM
swap in a 185* thermostat for under 6 bucks with a new gasket and run a bottle of prestone super flush followed by a bottle of prestone super clean or something like that for about a week *you leave it in* and then replace with 50/50 water and antifreeze or go straight water with a corrosion inhibitor if it doesn't drop to freezing where you live that would work even better.

89LXiR-acer
07-11-2002, 06:23 PM
POS carb.... ur not supposed to leave the radiator flush in for a "week" :wtf:
as it read on the back of the bottle
1. drain out all fluids in the radiator
2. pour in the whole bottle of "radiator flush" in to the radiator
fill remaining with water.
3.run engine for 15 minutes after reaching normal temperture(thermostat will read all the way to HOT) keep running regardless
4. let engine cool off ( maybe 15 or 20 minutes)
5. drain fluids from radiator
6.refill radiator with just water... let it run for another 15 minutes after reaching normal tempertures again...
7. repeat step 4.
8.loosen the coolant bleeder screw in the thermostat housing
9. add 50/50 mixture into the radiator until you get bubble free coolant flows thru the screw...tighten bleeder screw...and continue filling radiator till full .......

shepherd79
07-11-2002, 06:28 PM
it doesn't take a week to flush your coolant system.
go get a flush kit made by Prestone, preston flush, and prestone clean.
follow the instractions.
for the first time it took me a while but after that only a few hours.

Vinny
08-08-2003, 07:29 PM
Prestone flush, run for 10 minutes.....prestone super flush leave in and drive normally for 6-8 hrs, read the can and make sure if its REAL bad you use the SUPER FLUSH. I also used their flush kit, just cut my heater line and attatched it clamped it down and hooked the hose to it. Run it til the water runs clear with the car running and heater on full, then I shut it down and let it run some more, If you bring the idle up it forces the water through and cleans a lil better. Becareful though because on our cars the kit forces the cold tap water right to the thermostat which may cause it to not open because the cold water is cooling the thermostat as the block's temp is increasing it