PDA

View Full Version : Damn RPM needle...stop jumping!

Jokez
03-15-2004, 02:53 PM
My RPM needle jumps between 2000 and 4000. I can feel my car stumble a little when it jumps. Any suggestions?

-Jokez

cubert
03-15-2004, 05:40 PM
i have the same problem..i changed plugs and it fixed it a little....im thinking it could possibly be the distributor...someone confirm this or correct it please?

thegreatdane
03-16-2004, 06:33 AM
Yea one of my accords has the same problem, I think it might be the ignition coil but i'm too lazy to check :rolleyes:

DenverLXI
03-16-2004, 07:25 AM
I have the same problem with my car. I have yet to find out how to fix it. I'm thinking that it's either the ignition coil or my injectors. Does it happen when you slow down or apply the brake?

smufguy
03-16-2004, 07:41 AM
i have the same problem..i changed plugs and it fixed it a little....im thinking it could possibly be the distributor...someone confirm this or correct it please?

thats what i heard too. its defenitly ignition related, but im not sure about how it can be fixed.

SrvZro
03-16-2004, 08:31 AM
I had that same problem. I replaced plugs, wires, coil, dist cap & rotor, and pcv valve, since i was under the hood anyways. All these made it not happen as often. The only thing left would be the distributor. If yours is leaking oil below the distributor than it is likley that is the problem. I only noticed a slight stumble if I was really trying to notice. I think someone else had the same problem and replaced the distributor and that took car of it. Whatever thats worth. :bandit:

smufguy
03-16-2004, 09:13 AM
if ur leaking oil under the dist, it means your o ring at the pickup is not good. The jumping of the tach needle is due to electrical probs, not mechanical.

Jokez
03-16-2004, 10:26 AM
It ONLY happens upon acceloration or choke idle. I was kinda thinking it was the distributer. I don't know how to confirm my suspicions. Also how do I go about checking the engine coil?

smufguy
03-16-2004, 01:38 PM
It ONLY happens upon acceloration or choke idle. I was kinda thinking it was the distributer. I don't know how to confirm my suspicions. Also how do I go about checking the engine coil?

best bet, go to the junkyard and grab one and test fit it and see if it works or not. i dont think the coil would be at fault cause they never go bad 95% of the time. also, if its the distributer, try changing all ur parts, the cap and the rotor, if the problem still exists, after changing all the plugs, wires and cap and rotor, get a new dist from the junkyard and see if it fixes the problem.

The only problem with the junkyard dist is that u cant really return it if it does not work and they cost like 25 from the junkyard. the only diff is that my junkyard (the one i go to) lets me use and see if it works or not cause they know me and i have gotten a lot of parts for my car from them and always give them the money without any argument or anything. Also they are resonable to me (always 5 or 10 bucks cheaper) when they sell things to me than to anyone else. :)

NOTE: i just realized u have a carb. I have a spare Carb dist lying in my garage that i took out from my car after i did my efi conversion, i can give it to you but all u have to pay is just the shipping. The dist is free cause i was gonna throw it out anyway.

Jokez
03-17-2004, 10:16 AM
I found the problem...my distributor was hanging on by one screw. Problem solved. Thanks Everyone

Jokez
05-02-2004, 05:02 PM
Ok........that wasn't the problem. The problem has gotten a little worst. I think it might be a seal. I found a little oil in my distributer cap so I think there is a leak in a seal. There is a little stumble upon accel. I just replaced my ignion coil. NOT THE PROBLEM! Sorry, Its pissing me off. Any have an answers?

A20A1
05-02-2004, 05:21 PM
Did anyone say this yet? Anyways check the wires to the igniter... open up the distributor and they are the blue and green ones.... they come loose or get corroded sometimes.

AccordEpicenter
05-02-2004, 06:27 PM
guys this is simple, check the dizzy when the car is running between 2-4k, if it sounds like there is a small rock kicking around then its going bad, get another from the jy

johnwc723
05-02-2004, 06:43 PM
well probably not this, but i remember right before my alternator went out the TACH would do crazy stuff, maybe the alt is gettin worn out?

snakeman
05-07-2004, 01:56 AM
mine waz doing it i changed the dizzy and now its sweet :)

AccordEpicenter
05-07-2004, 08:58 AM
if you can feel it run funny it has little or nothing to do with the alt... its usually ignition related

Jokez
05-10-2004, 12:12 PM
if you can feel it run funny it has little or nothing to do with the alt... its usually ignition related
Its not the ignition coil. I changed it out. I even took my distributer apart. The o-ring is fine. BTW whats a dizzy?

Mac
05-10-2004, 02:01 PM
BTW whats a dizzy?

Distributor.

When you had the dist. opened up, did you check the wires like A20A1 said?

Jokez
05-10-2004, 02:05 PM
I couldn't crack it open completly, the 4 screws that release the rotor were crumbling. They are old and stripping.

POS carb
05-11-2004, 05:24 AM
I have that prob. I'm going to try hooking up the MSD today to the 3gee and see what happens but first I need to solve this bucking/hesitation problem it picked up over the weekend :mad:

superguillermo
05-11-2004, 01:30 PM
yeah I had the same problem just a week ago. I checked the ECU and it was giving me the code to one of the distributor sensors. Sure enough I checked the resistances to the distributor and they were all off. So I went to the junkyard...checked the resistances and found a OK distributor. Replaced and no more funny idling.