PDA

View Full Version : Questions about my "new" '89 LXi coupe

Everyshadeofblue
03-16-2004, 06:45 AM
Hey everyone:

-----
I just got an 89 Accord LXi 2 door 5 speed with 177K miles; it's nice with fresh black paint and beige leather interior! I noticed the motor has bad valve noise/clatter under acceleration (after about 2K RPM's). The car sounds fine when idling, and the oil has been checked. I am guessing that maybe the timing is off, or the valves need adjustment. Any recommendations on what to check, and how to check it? Anything to watch out for when removing the valve cover and associated pieces to check on the valves and timing belt?

Also, where are the 'common' problem spots on this car? Oil leaks? It may have an oil leak but I'm not sure where. Clutch? Clutch cable? I think I need to adjust the play in the clutch cable or replace the clutch soon (how hard is it to replace the clutch..is there a 'how to' on this board?).

I would also like to replace the steering wheel with a 89 Prelude steering wheel. Does the Prelude steering wheel bolt up to the accord?

Glad to be back in the 3geez world other than selling armrests!

shepherd79
03-16-2004, 07:20 AM
try adjusting the valves. it is hard to explain the procedure, so just get a shop manual.
plus check the timming, make sure no one moved distributor from OEM setting.

NXRacer
03-16-2004, 08:00 AM
Search is your friend!