PDA

View Full Version : Shimmy and Shake!

paynt3r
03-16-2004, 11:09 AM
When I get on the brakes, my steering wheel shudders back and forth. The car doesn't seem to get outa controll or anything, but it just drives me nuts! Now this is not constant. Some days it's really bad, but ther days It is harldy noticeable. On the bad days, I can even feel it slightly when I am just driving and not on the brakes. So far, I have replaced the disks, brakes, calipers and axles.

Any other Ideas? :dunno:

86ACRDLX
03-16-2004, 11:34 AM
check your tire balance and if they are old check if they need to be replaced, thats what it was when mine did that.

Busted_Blue
03-16-2004, 11:42 AM
Perhaps your car needs an alignment... Occasionally bad toe and cast as well as camber can cause vibration.

NXRacer
03-16-2004, 12:06 PM
Does it do it only when you get on the brakes?

if so, its not your alignment, your rotors are warped. Usually caused by lots of hard braking. Get your rotors turned or get new ones and it'll fix your problem.

*edit* guess i should read the whole post. . . :rolleyes:

sounds like maybe your ball joints are going bad?

paynt3r
03-17-2004, 05:17 AM
New tires don't help, and the allignment has been done twice with no improvement. Rotating the wheels and tires hasn't helped either. Actually, it still does it when I put my stock wheels and tires also, so I don't think that has anything to do with it.

I guess my next move might have to be new ball joints then.

dj99
03-17-2004, 08:13 AM
Did you have your new rotors turned out of the box?

paynt3r
03-17-2004, 08:35 AM
Yup, had a friend that works at a local shop at the time turn them. On any other vehiles I have had, if the rotors are warped, it causes the car to surge or pulse when breaking. I have never seen a steering wheel shimmy due to warped rotors. Besides, when I am breaking, the car still slows down smoothly. Just the steering wheel vibrates. :dunno:

But lately I have been considering telling the wife that I warped another set, just so that I can get some slotted rotors this time :kekeke: Also, I would like to do the rear disk conversion.

whyterice
03-17-2004, 05:32 PM
check the tie rod ends...