PDA

View Full Version : oil leak

Dragonfly
03-16-2004, 11:51 AM
ok i got an oil leak.....ya i know sooo what... iv put a new vale cover gasket on and she is still driping i know the oil i coming from the upper half of the engine (not the oil pan) how common is it for the head gasket to blow? just a little kinda blow just so it leaks oil and burns some...?

NXRacer
03-16-2004, 12:04 PM
9 out of 10 times, an upper oil leak is a bad distributor O ring. Replace it and see if that fixes your problem. Its a cheap and easy fix.

Dragonfly
03-16-2004, 04:59 PM
9 out of 10 times, an upper oil leak is a bad distributor O ring. Replace it and see if that fixes your problem. Its a cheap and easy fix.
ohhh done did forgot to say i pulled the dist. off cleaned it all up put a new cap and rotter and o ring on it the puddles in the drive way got smaller but thier still thier :burn:

NXRacer
03-16-2004, 05:10 PM
did you clean up inside the head? residual oil gunk can screw with the seal too.

Mac
03-16-2004, 05:16 PM
Did you pull the dist. off the head or just pull the cap off? To change the o ring that NX mentioned you must pull the whole dist out not just the cap.

cubert
03-16-2004, 05:21 PM
dont bitch about oil leaks until you leak at least a quart a day

HondaBoy
03-16-2004, 09:21 PM
ha, xl cubert lx, i thing i heard you say something about that a while back. Dragonfly, do you know about which side it seems to leak oil from? also, about the head gasket. if its leaking, you will likely find water in you oil, like in my moms neon. they head leaks a bit. i found the oil to be a chocolate milk color. eewww. that was some nasty shit. anyway, yeah, see about what side it may be comming from. i thought mine had a head leak, but it is the distributor.

cubert
03-17-2004, 05:02 AM
ha, xl cubert lx, i thing i heard you say something about that a while back. Dragonfly, do you know about which side it seems to leak oil from? also, about the head gasket. if its leaking, you will likely find water in you oil, like in my moms neon. they head leaks a bit. i found the oil to be a chocolate milk color. eewww. that was some nasty shit. anyway, yeah, see about what side it may be comming from. i thought mine had a head leak, but it is the distributor.yea..ive been leaking for awhile now.....im getting sick of people always telling me "your car is leaking!!" no shit..i almost missed the 5 foot puddle under my car....:dunno:

smufguy
03-17-2004, 07:44 AM
your camshaft seal might be gone too. It leaks on the crank side, rather than the usual tranny side. It could also be a leaky pwr steering hose kinda shit or the old oil that has been there might be leaking too. Also get yourself a supertech carb cleaner from Walmart (its only 75 cents a can) and clean off all the oil residue u see, cause the carb cleaner is the only one besides WD40 that can clean off oil and gunk real fast. Try that and see where it leaks again. Good way to find a problem is to have your work environment clean so that its much easier to find out the problem. :)

Dragonfly
03-17-2004, 06:47 PM
thiers oil all over the tranny (i think its old) and thier oil driping off the pan

XxDark_AccordxX
03-17-2004, 06:50 PM
i think our cars are big on those. My cars been leaking for god knows how long and no matter how much i put into it or who i go to it continues to leak. I brought it in again and the guy told me its all fixed and to just get the engine steamed. so i did but theres still drops here and there. nuthing big but my folks dont want me on the driveway cuz of it :(

Dragonfly
03-17-2004, 06:52 PM
imtry to get my leaks fix so i can park in the garadge i think its a lost cause

XxDark_AccordxX
03-17-2004, 06:54 PM
lol it was for me. u just figured oh well its running and the mechanics say its in great shape so thats good enough for me :dunno:

XxDark_AccordxX
03-17-2004, 06:55 PM
:burn: stupid keyboard. i mean ***i just figured :burn:

johndej
03-17-2004, 07:24 PM
yeah, mine leaks a tiny bit out of the valve cover seal thing. i only noticed it the other day after i drove about 20 miles and when i pulled up to a stoplight there was a little bit of smoke that blew out from under the hood. i poped it open and saw there was oil and junk clotted above the headers and heat shield. my dad (was w/ me) said it was fine and that a bit was prob dripping down onto the headers or something and getting burned off.

smufguy
03-17-2004, 07:54 PM
So do u still have leaks under the distributor now?

Like i said, clean off every oil leak u have with a carb cleaner and u should be able to pin point it.

Blkblurr
03-18-2004, 06:25 AM
Stopping oil leaks is usually just a matter of how you clean the area the new seal touches especially the valve cover gasket. You need to check for scratches on the valve cover seal surface. If you find them I would use a flexible gasket sealing paste you can get at any auto parts store. make sure the seal surface is clean with all old gasket material removed. I used a fine stone on mine and then used laquer thinner to remove all oil from the surface. I put the new rubber gasket I got from Honda and bolted it down. No more leaks