PDA

View Full Version : Snow = uuhh ooohhh

RJ-92
03-16-2004, 01:00 PM
My 88 LX has decent tires and tracks quite well whgen the weather is dry. But in the snow, WOW! Talk about the tail wagging the dog, its a bitch to hold on to at best. This ass end is everywhere and I can barely even drive it its such a hand-full. It feels like sonething is kinda out of alignment, actually it feels like the rear tires are pointed like this: \ / And what ever tire gets the most traction at the time is the way the car wants to go.

Is there an adjustment for toe on the rear of these cars? If not has anyone else experienced this?

Not like a rock
03-21-2004, 11:52 PM
The back ends on these accords are pretty bad when it's slippery. Make sure your back tires are the same as your front ones. My previous 3G had drum brakes on the back, and my current one has disc brakes on the back. The discs seem to help a bit...the back doesn't swing around so much when I try to slow down. I say make sure your rear brakes are top notch, but I don't know if that actually helps. Just speaking from my own perception.

k-roy
03-22-2004, 12:43 AM
I have never had a problem in the snow with my Accord. It actually suprised me how well it did (im used to trucks).
I have a few Questions
1. What kind of tires do you have?
2. Are they properly inflated with even wear?
3. When was your last alignment?

shepherd79
03-22-2004, 04:29 AM
i never had any problems in winter.

thegreatdane
03-22-2004, 06:14 AM
I had the excact same problem once. The problem was that one of my lower control arms was bent, causing the wheel to go out of alignment. So check your control arms, I bet one of them is bent, maybe from a curbe or something.

Bloodlust
03-22-2004, 11:42 AM
My only problem with my 3g in the snow was with a small encounter with a salt truck... But stupid me drove around in a foot of snow with low profile tires on. But now I have snow tires in the front and back and I dont have any problems in the snow.

Blkblurr
03-22-2004, 01:01 PM
Same with my 89 it's great in the snow.

markmdz89hatch
03-22-2004, 01:22 PM
thegreatdane could be right. Check out both top and bottom control arms in back. Also, many people don't realize this, but if your front end is out of allignment, it can make your car ass-happy in snow. If your toe is off up front, your tires are fighting eachother. If one get's traction, it'll pull harder and cause your ass-end to go all over the place. Also, how many miles are on that rear upper control arm? The ball-joint in that could also be the culprit.