PDA

View Full Version : Oxygen Sensor

ahayford
03-16-2004, 01:58 PM
I am trying to install a new o2 sensor. When I bought one I received this
http://www.partsamerica.com/product_images/img/NIE/OS700.jpg

But I need this.
http://www.partsamerica.com/product_images/img/BOS/12050.jpg

I'm really looking for wire and connector that is connected to the sensor. (If that makes sense. I can't find it anywhere. Please help.

Vinny
03-16-2004, 05:07 PM
you bought the universal. It will work but you'll need to splice the wire from your old O2 sensor connector on to the end of the new one. Or at least I think thats what your asking. Do you not have your old O2 sensor or is the connector dicked up or what?

ahayford
03-17-2004, 07:00 AM
There is no wire from the old o2 connector. That is my problem.

Vinny
03-17-2004, 07:02 AM
How did that happen? Try a salvage yard or a u pull that will let you go roam around and just cut one off. Where are you located? I may have one or may be able to get one for ya if you can't source one

ahayford
03-17-2004, 07:08 AM
I don't know. I just bought my DX for $600. I live in Salt Lake City, UT. Where does it connect once I have the other wire?

Vinny
03-17-2004, 07:15 AM
Not sure on the DX. I know on my LX-i both sensors connenct to a harness that is on a bracket just to the passenger side of the exhaust manifold around about where the engine and tranny mate up

smufguy
03-17-2004, 07:33 AM
for a carb, there is only one O2 sensor like you mentioned with a WHITE clip connector. CHeck near the engine code on the block and u will see that clip.

The car did not come with a O2 sensor? can u take a pic of it? cause i doubt if ur car even ran any good with no O2 sensor.

Like vinny mentioned, u can just splice it up and it works, but dont use a butt connector tho. Just twist up the wires and then put a tape around it and use the wire protecting sleve of somesort so that the oil wont go in and peel off the tape.

ahayford
03-17-2004, 08:14 AM
I'll take a picture of it when I get home and then post it. I'll try to describe what I have now. The o2 sensor is connected to the exhaust manifold, but the wire isn't connected to anything.

ahayford
03-17-2004, 09:17 AM
Can I just buy the clip portion of the sensor?

Vinny
03-17-2004, 09:30 AM
as in the wiring? Yeah you can if thats what you mean. Like I said before go to a pull a part yard and find a car with the sensors in it. That way you can see where the connector goes and then just undo the connector from the harness and cut it as close to the sensor as you can. To elaborate on Praveen's idea go to a local autoparts store and see if they have enviromental splices. The look alomst like regular splices but the insulation on them is made of heat shrink. After you crimp the wires you heat the outter insulation for the splice and it creates a moisture/dirt proof covering.

smufguy
03-17-2004, 12:08 PM
I'll take a picture of it when I get home and then post it. I'll try to describe what I have now. The o2 sensor is connected to the exhaust manifold, but the wire isn't connected to anything.

is there a clip hanging on the end of it, or is it a snapped wire?

ahayford
03-17-2004, 01:55 PM
There's a clip, but it's not connected to anything.

smufguy
03-17-2004, 02:18 PM
There's a clip, but it's not connected to anything.

well then there should be another connector where the clip goes to. look for it under the distributor and above the tranny. It should be there.

ahayford
03-18-2004, 07:54 AM
How do I know if it is working once I get it connected?

smufguy
03-18-2004, 08:33 AM
the car should run better with the O2 sensor hooked up. thas the only prob with you carb fellas, cause unlike us efi guys, u dont have a check engine light that would light up when something goes wrong. for instance an unhooked O2 sensor.