PDA

View Full Version : Compressed air idea from another student @ my school???

Mike's89AccordLX
03-16-2004, 02:38 PM
Well this is from a buddy of mine. He thinks that if I got a 10 gallon air compressor and put a air regulator on so I could control the air. And he thinks that if I attached the end of the air hose to the port on the intake that it would be like forced induction. And I could run like a low psi to be safe since shop air would have close to 200 psi. I laughed at him right away, but it seems like this ghetto rigged idea could work with low psi so I don't F up my motor. I was thinking that a lot of the air might actually go out the filter since it wouldn't be forced straight towards the carb. Now I was thinking that I could either hook it up to a vaccum port on the intake manifold or on the intake pipe. The air compressor wouldn't need to be filtered since it's clean air. And when the tank gets empty I could just plug it in and let if fill up. I could have it in the trunk or in the back seat. And I could just turn on the air from the console and run the hose through the firewall then into where ever.

Alright guys I know it's totally ghetto but keep an open mind on this. What do you think about it?

It would be forced air and would be cheap option to turbo or superchargers. But just post what you think and I will let my friend know what you guys say.

-Mike

Note: If this turns out to be a good idea I guess my car was nominated for it to be done to. Damn friends with their ideas.

NXRacer
03-16-2004, 02:54 PM
i've thought about doing that before. it would be similar to (but not as good as) nitrous since you're just forcing air into the system. You'd need to up your fuel output somehow to take care of the increased air flow.

It might work, but probably not worth the hassle of working out all the bugs.

Mike's89AccordLX
03-16-2004, 02:57 PM
Well I said something to them about you would need to accomidate for the lack of fuel.

They said that since you wouldn't force too much air into the motor that you wouldn't need it. They said just start at 3-5 psi and then go from there.

Mike's89AccordLX
03-16-2004, 02:59 PM
I admit this wouldn't be big increase b/c doesn't nitrous work on these same principles? Except nitrous would have the extra fuel.

A20A1
03-16-2004, 03:12 PM
Nope tried it already... I even posted about it in this board or automotive forums...
at 125 psi at idle, it will raise the rpms a bit... like 200 or so rpm. The tank runs out way too quickly and doesn't keep up with the demand above idle.

I left the 7 gallon tank on the front seat... ran an orange air hose along with a reg from an air compressor to a manual valve that i bolted to the aluminum shifter case i made... (I have a pic of the hole in my valve cover after i removed all the hoses), then from there I ran the hose to thru the firewall to the lid of the carb where I had a 90 degree brass joint that poked thru the lid to a nozzel pointing down the primary barrel. 7 gallons lasted about 3 - 5 seconds then the pressure dropped.

In the pic below you can see the notch I made in the flipped lid to keep the hose from being smashed by the hood when I closed it. The hole is covered by duct tape.

A20A1
03-16-2004, 03:29 PM
I also tried propane, but the bottle I had must have been empty or I had a problem with the valve (too much / too little propane)... it worked and bogged things at the same time... It was too much trouble and money to keep experimenting with.

Who knows though, with a 10 gallon and with the weber it might be different.

Mike's89AccordLX
03-16-2004, 03:37 PM
Do you think I should just hook it up quick? So you ran 125 psi and it was ok? I guess ir couldn't hurt to try. Will I have to worry about blowing any seals or gaskets in the carb or motor? I could just do it to shut the guys up at school.

NXRacer
03-16-2004, 03:40 PM
i think your biggest problem is that air is not a fuel and with such low CFM's you wouldnt notice much increase in power. I think thats why compressed air won't work and nitrous does.

A20A1
03-16-2004, 03:51 PM
Do you think I should just hook it up quick? So you ran 125 psi and it was ok? I guess ir couldn't hurt to try. Will I have to worry about blowing any seals or gaskets in the carb or motor? I could just do it to shut the guys up at school.

Nope... because the intake is not sealed... and excess pressure, if you can actually get any, would just bleeds out the filter. And if you could get a lot of pressure then you'd have to worry about fuel flowing out of the venturies properly.
LOL, the guys at my school all wanted to ride in my car and watched as I threw the lever and nothing happned... :D I went to the gas station to fill up again for the ride back.

smufguy
03-16-2004, 06:00 PM
you guys pretty much answered it.

This is kinda similar to the electrical superchargers that are out in the market right now. yeah they are cool and stuff, but they are not efficient. There is always a reason why a lot of new ideas dont get into production, cause when they run the priliminary tests on a concept, and the efficiency is not considerably higher, its not a profitable investment to produce.

There was a similar idea about having compressed Oxygen pumping in the engine, a while back on this same forum. but its what the Nitrous does as Caleb mentioned. Ur feeding more Oxygen in, but the Nitrogen is there only to cool the chamber. you pretty much know why u need to cool the Combustion chamber because of the extra oxygen that was combusted produces a little more heat.

besides, anything artificially fed into the motor is effective if its in liquid form and then have it vaporized (atomized) for better efficieicy. This is because a liquid has a much larger density compared to a vapour and hence more heating value which means more power output per volume (or mass).

<<<<Superchargers and Turbos are different>>>>

PhydeauX
03-16-2004, 06:43 PM
...but the Nitrogen is there only to cool the chamber...

The nitrogen is there because injecting pure oxygen into your intake is a bad idea. Dumping pure oxygen into your intake is going to make for a rather large bomb. The more oxygen that is present the more easily something will ignite. You start to add oxygen to your intake with the air fuel mixture and the latent heat in your intake could be enough to set it off. It'll be pretty much guaranteed to go off in the cylender well before you want it too. Nitrous doesn't break down into nitrogen and oxygen untill its exposed to very high heat (ie the combustion process has started). Its doing pretty much the same thing as injecting pure oxygen, but the oxygen is safely packaged untill your ready to use it.

Pumping compressed air from a tank isn't really going to get you much since you can't physicaly carry enough volume to make a diference. You engine consumes half a litre per rpm in the ideal world at ambient pressure. Think about how much volume you'd need to add to bring the pressure up just one psi?

andy

lightbulblxi
03-16-2004, 08:22 PM
originally posted by A20A1
Nope tried it already... I even posted about it in this board or automotive forums...
at 125 psi at idle, it will raise the rpms a bit... like 200 or so rpm. The tank runs out way too quickly and doesn't keep up with the demand above idle.

what if u used an air compressor for tires? like the kind that sucks in air from around it?

A20A1
03-16-2004, 09:15 PM
most small air compressors wont keep up, plus they generate a lot of heat and noise.
And if you go larger you'll be losing out cause of the weight you'll be adding. Plus you'd still have to deal with fuel. All in all it's better to supercharge or turbo... or go with nitrous.

smufguy
03-17-2004, 07:06 AM
what if u used an air compressor for tires? like the kind that sucks in air from around it?

good thought but what is their pumping rate? as in volume/second or volume/hour. Like Andy said, they dont push enough volume to keep up with the engine need.

customandsound
03-17-2004, 07:00 PM
it is much better with a nos setup .. and from what i can see safer and longer lasting ...

evans 86prelude
03-19-2004, 07:26 PM
i was thinking if you used a windshield washer canister and put that on the intake tube like nitrous and then put a little switch so it kicks in at full throtle like nitrous and have a switch on the dash just in case u don't want it on amd maybe run high octane gas in the can or octane booster

smufguy
03-19-2004, 10:19 PM
i was thinking if you used a windshield washer canister and put that on the intake tube like nitrous and then put a little switch so it kicks in at full throtle like nitrous and have a switch on the dash just in case u don't want it on amd maybe run high octane gas in the can or octane booster

:rofl: :kekeke: :rolleyes: :rice:

evans 86prelude
03-21-2004, 08:52 PM
yea exactly

Accordtheory
03-22-2004, 08:31 PM
This is some of the funniest shit I have read in a long time. I can picture some of you guys passing around the bong and saying "damn, what if I injected my intake manifold with compressed air???" Although that actually would work if you had enough air and set up the nozzle so it would suck more air into the intake with it's airflow (like how the exhaust on a piston engine aircraft sucks cooling air through the cowl to cool the engine) and also you would need a way of adding fuel

Justin86
03-23-2004, 11:21 AM
You might as well try to hook up a blown dryer to the intake. If you were to disable the heat and able to make it spin faster you might get like a slight increase.

smufguy
03-23-2004, 04:58 PM
You might as well try to hook up a blown dryer to the intake. If you were to disable the heat and able to make it spin faster you might get like a slight increase.

that was a good one :rofl:

copper700
03-23-2004, 05:00 PM
Why not just light up a joint and stick it in the intake..........the dope might make it faster????????(sounds just as good as the rest of these ideas Lol)

A20A1
03-23-2004, 05:22 PM
Okay I think it's time we let this thread go... for now.