PDA

View Full Version : recoil a subwoofer - possible?

POS carb
03-16-2004, 05:20 PM
Is there such a service as recoiling speakers? I have some big d.v.c. 15's I cooked and I really want to get them bumping again, and it would be nice if I could say "Make it one fat 2 ohm v.c. that can handle 1000 RMS"

:dunno:

shepherd79
03-17-2004, 04:27 AM
i don't think it is possible. i never heard of recoiling the speaker.
just get a new one.

AccordEpicenter
03-17-2004, 10:05 AM
yeah ive heard of it, some companies recone subs... id talk to a fosgate rep about that... it probably wont be cheap.

DanLXI88
03-17-2004, 11:04 AM
Unless the original manufacturers do it then you might as well get a new sub because it will never be the same. We had a company here in Columbus that used to do them for custom speakers and car speakers. But it was expensive. And I doubt it was ever as good as the originals. It's hard to compete with the big boys when that's what they do best.

KoNEY
03-19-2004, 11:04 PM
yes, fosgate does recone speakers, im not sure though about using other brabds speakers though, but i did have a set of Fosgate HE 15's reconed several times, and the final time i had to pay for the service because my warranyt expired, and it was exactly $71.00 per speaker to recone them, but id just talk to a local audio, one close to me will recone speakers for a fee, i think that all comapnies have a recone kit, u just have to have a license to sell their equipment to get it or something like that, but if thses are just some cheap speaker like pyramid, pyle, sony, jensen, audiobahn, or any other poorly manufactured breand, then id just get new subs, but id definitely try a local shop that sells the brand of sub you have

HondaBoy
03-19-2004, 11:10 PM
i had thought about doing that to my old Marantz 12s. i was also going to put new surround foam, but then i found out that i could get a better speaker for cheaper than refurbishing the old ones. i got some nice radioshack ones. that was a few years back. that was for my home stereo. but im not really familiar with d.v.c., what are those for home stereo or automotive? i know online they have kits to refurbish old speakers, also you can easily find new replacements.

DanLXI88
03-19-2004, 11:19 PM
yes, fosgate does recone speakers, im not sure though about using other brabds speakers though, but i did have a set of Fosgate HE 15's reconed several times, and the final time i had to pay for the service because my warranyt expired, and it was exactly $71.00 per speaker to recone them, but id just talk to a local audio, one close to me will recone speakers for a fee, i think that all comapnies have a recone kit, u just have to have a license to sell their equipment to get it or something like that, but if thses are just some cheap speaker like pyramid, pyle, sony, jensen, audiobahn, or any other poorly manufactured breand, then id just get new subs, but id definitely try a local shop that sells the brand of sub you have
I'll admit that on the super high end sony,audiobahn don't match the level fosgate does nor do they cost as much. But when copaired to the mid end of fosgate ( Series ) speakers they out perform them. Also "When a company does a Recone on a speaker thats not the same as the recoil

KoNEY
03-19-2004, 11:44 PM
no, the cone/coil/curround/spider are one assembly, and so is the magnet, and then the basket, a recone is simply a replacement of the moving parts, i.e., the cone/coil/surround/spider assembly, the whole sub is steamed to break the glue loose, and then the old assembly is removed, the "magnet-gap" is cleaned of any debris from a smoked coil, and thena new assembly is installed and the speaker is then refurbished, as far as the other, i never said that fosgate was better, i know fosgates arent bullet-proof, ive blown a set of fifteen-inch HE's 4 times before finally parting with them after about 8 months. i have had though, just about every type of sybs and amps from A-Z, audiobahn, fosgate, pyramid, pyle, sony, power acoustik, coustic, fahrenheit, audiopipe, MA, boston, ive had it all over the past 10 yrs, and by fa, the best subs and amp i have ever had is my current Punch 500a2 and the HE2 12's i have now along with a set of the very first series of Mobile ES 12's...so i know what ive head, and whats lasted, and whats hasnt, so far, the HE2 12's are the only speakers i havent blown, and the amp is the smallest most powerful thing i have owned, as far as the size/power ratio is concerned, so i have a LOT of experience, and even refurbished a cpl speakers of my ow, and trust me, is is hard to line up everything exactly, if ur off by even a millimeter, the sub will destroy itself......anyway, here is a pic of my poundin the HE2's to show you how i know whether a seaker will hold up or not...
http://images.cardomain.com/member_images/4/web/484000-484999/484343_123.jpg
http://images.cardomain.com/member_images/4/web/484000-484999/484343_124.jpg
it may not look it, but that's like 3 inches of travel, im not sure how to really measure, but its damn close

AccordEpicenter
03-26-2004, 03:18 PM
the older a rockford fosgate amp is, the better quality it is... those early punch's and older style A2 anything are very good, the newer stuff isnt as good

KoNEY
03-26-2004, 03:23 PM
i agree with AccordEpicenter, oldert fosgate stuff rocks, thats why all of my current equipment is 4 yrs old (2000 model 500a2 and 2000 model HE2's)