PDA

View Full Version : Assistance Please?

RobbyKlotz
03-17-2004, 05:29 AM
When my car is cold (been sitting more than 5 hours) in the cold weather, when you first start it, it is hard to start, it will fire, run for a few seconds, decrease in RPMS and die, if you hit the gas it dies, then if you let it set for a minute, try again, give it alot of gas it runs fine. Its the 89 LX Accord. Flipped airbox lid and glasspack is the only thing done to it. Anyone got any ideas

smufguy
03-17-2004, 07:24 AM
you should have posted this is the carb tech and not esp in the performance or even did a search because there were many threads that mentioned this.

So you have a carb and it would start up after hard cranking and run shitty and would die under warm up? well how about if u stay on the gas for a little while? Keep the gas pedal depressed and keep it steady at 2K rpm? cause when i had a carb, my thermovalves were soo messed up that even my mechanic who used to work for honda could not find out the problem. i even used carb cleaner and adjusted the AJC and mixture screw and idle stop screw and whatever i can adjust i did, i even adjusted the throttle screw, but it did not work. So yeah, this is what i can tell u, which is more of a trial and error stuff.

1. Adjust your idle stop screw
2. Adjust your AJC

This is all i know that can be adjusted, how is your fuel? does it freeze up? get yourself a good fuel cleaner and clean ur fuel system and also get a can of gas treatment for the cold to prevent fuel line freeze.

When was the last time u had a tune up or ur fuel filters changed? you are better of changing both urs. Also how does the screen on ur fuel pump look like? Hope that kinda gives you a little bit of insight about how and where to go on with your problem. :)

MrBen
03-17-2004, 08:45 AM
Normailly when mine does it, it's after a really cold night. I go to start it up and it fires up, runs for a couple seconds, and shuts off. Then I restart and it runs just fine. It's a fairly normal thing to happen. Mine does it. My mom's does it. Friends does it. I don't worry about it because it is normal and never causes any problems.

Dennis
03-17-2004, 08:54 AM
same here :cool2:

2ndgenludedude1986
03-17-2004, 08:56 PM
my dual carb lude does the same thing. but my carbs need rebuilt.

Dopefish
03-18-2004, 05:31 PM
mine used to do that, but then i rebuilt the carb and it has not died on me even a single time in 6 months

RobbyKlotz
03-19-2004, 08:02 AM
Does anyone sell a rebuild kit for our carbs?

shepherd79
03-19-2004, 08:45 AM
autozone does as well as adavance auto, carquest, napa, and many other autoparts stores.