PDA

View Full Version : crashed it

markmdz89hatch
03-17-2004, 08:53 AM
Well, yesterday it snowed pretty bad here in CT. It's been real warm the past few days, but yesterday the temp dropped like a rock and the snow started falling. The pavement fought off the stick for a while, but eventually gave in and snow started sticking. This made for a nasty situation. Ice on the pavement and snow on top of that.

Well, simply put, I was driving up a hill, and tried to keep a momentum so I could make it up the hill. Made it up the hill no problem, but when i came to the top, I knew I was going too fast, but it was too late to slow down. So, my 3G became a 2300 lb. tobogan. Well, the rest is history, I shot off the road up an embankment and came to rest at a tree stump.

Suprisingly enough, the body of the car is not dented or smashed, just scratched up, but the suspension is another story. I did a hell of a job on the lower front control arm on the drivers side, and it looks like I may need a new radiator as well. The tranny also took a beating, so I fear I may have broken a mount or two. All in all, I was able to get the car back on the road and limped it home.

I had to drive in to work this morning, and as luck should have it, there was not fluid on the ground under the car this morning, so I don't think it's as bad as I originally thought. But the tire is way out of wack due to the buggered control arm, so that will have to be replaced asap.

Thanks to the 3G being built like a tank, I was able to walk away from it with just a bruised ego and a project for this weekend. I'm just so lucky that I wasn't going even one mph faster, b/c one more foot of sliding up that embankment, and the car would have ended up on it's roof. Whew...

I thought I was a great driver, and still think that I'm in the high percentage, but snow/ice is something that no-one can predict. Please, make sure that you take it VERY slow when driving in bad conditions like this. It's well worth the extra half-hour it'll take to get where you're going.

Cheeseburger
03-17-2004, 08:59 AM
dam that sucks man. good thing you are ok.

SteveDX89
03-17-2004, 09:00 AM
It snowed here too and I was worried I wouldn't make it anywhere due to my car being low but there was enough melting on the roads that I was able to get around. It's good to hear you made it out ok and the car isn't too fucked up. Good ole 3g. :bow:

Vinny
03-17-2004, 09:38 AM
Glad to hear you're OK Mark, thats the most important thing. Best of luck fixing it this weekend. I'd tell ya I'd think of ya while I was off in Daytona Beach, but that would be a lie. Good luck

RobT5580
03-17-2004, 09:53 AM
Sorry to hear Mark....Im so tired of this snow and 2 weeks ago it was in the 60's now this. I was all excited for my spring break last week only to get a cold crappy week so i didnt get much of anything done that i was planning on. But i guess it was a good thing because i was about to put my rims on and i would have had some major problems in the snow.

NXRacer
03-17-2004, 10:23 AM
DAMN that was a close call! glad to hear you saved it. hope all things go well this weekend on the repairs.

88LXi68
03-17-2004, 10:25 AM
Damn Mark, sorry to hear...but if it was more serious...I was about to call dibs on that interior! :)

DanLXI88
03-17-2004, 10:56 AM
Yesterday my wife had a hell of a time getting to work in with 3G it's just to light in the rear and she was all over the road. She said she was taking her time and being careful. Thank god that there was little to no traffic out that morning. I love to drive it in the snow it's a blast spinning around using the Ebrake :rockon: . But it sure scared the crap out of her. I guess that will teach her to drive my 3g. lol I told my wife that I think I’ll name the car Christine which got me a smack :beat:

i.c.
03-17-2004, 01:47 PM
sorry to hear that mark....it wasn't the hatch was it??

markmdz89hatch
03-17-2004, 02:03 PM
nope it was the coupe that no-one knows I have. Don't worry, the hatch is snuggled up nicely under it's cover, awaiting it's heart transplant.

ChaseR
03-17-2004, 02:23 PM
ohh, is the Hatch gonna get a B series heart?

markmdz89hatch
03-17-2004, 02:58 PM
ohh, is the Hatch gonna get a B series heart?

no B series. Another A20, but an A3 instead of an A1. An all-motor, high-compression, build-up. (But that's not for at least a year or so.)

SteveDX89
03-17-2004, 05:02 PM
Hey Mark, I know about that coupe. :D

lightbulblxi
03-17-2004, 05:45 PM
that sux man, glad ur ok