PDA

View Full Version : Spark Plug Wires Smoking???

erics86dx
03-17-2004, 01:02 PM
Well anywho I bought some new wires about two to three weeks ago, they are accels 8mm superstock ones or something like that, you have to put the ends on and put the metal things inside also, I also bought some ngk's to go with the new change, well today when i started my car i let it warm up for about ten minutes, and i then got in my car and i smelled something strange kinda like burning electronics but not as distinctive, so i pop the hood and the third wire down has smoke coming from it :dunno: , i then get back in the car turn it off and go pull the wire off and the metal thing is a sky blue color, all the others are like that too, originally they were brass, so am i having some type of high heat problem? Any help would be greatful thanks for your help...

DanLXI88
03-17-2004, 01:12 PM
Maybe they have some kind of coating ? The other ones burnt off too ? Was the car missing or did it show any problems?

erics86dx
03-17-2004, 01:16 PM
doesnt show any problems, runs just fine and, smells a bit but thats it

Blkblurr
03-17-2004, 01:24 PM
Sounds like you have a bad connection and it's arcing across the bad connection.

erics86dx
03-17-2004, 01:27 PM
explain a lil more please, im not sure what that arcing stuff is about

DanLXI88
03-17-2004, 01:35 PM
Like when you take your ground terminal off and put it back that spark/arc is what he's talking about I think. Why would they be blue and wouldn't they be dark brown or black? Wouldn't he also notice performance a change rough idle or something ?

Blkblurr
03-18-2004, 04:35 AM
Arcing is what causes the spark on the spark plug. It's a high energy spark that is very hot. If you have a bad connection in your wire ends the spark will jump the gap like it does on your plug and heat up the surrounding area when it does. If your coil is good you can easily jump a gap like you may have with bad connections. If you're running low resistance wires it makes it even easier to jump a gap.

erics86dx
03-31-2004, 01:10 PM
well today I started the car and let it warm up, came back and what do i smell??? the same smell as before, I pop the hood and find out that the black boot is cut through all the way and that the wire is about to be messed up, i then close the hood and take my dads truck, stupid wires........

A20A1
03-31-2004, 01:37 PM
how did you crimp the ends on... my accels are fine... you have to make sure you expose the core with the black and white strands... make it about an 1/2" to 3/4" long then fold it under the metal connector you are crimping on and crimp the core between the metal and the outer shielding.

also some accel wire boots are too long on the spark plug side (or the plugs tower is shorter) which keeps the ends of the wire from snapping on the end of the plug... i trimmed my boots down a bit and they fit nicely.

soljaboy2000
03-31-2004, 05:44 PM
how did you crimp the ends on... my accels are fine... you have to make sure you expose the core with the black and white strands... make it about an 1/2" to 3/4" long then fold it under the metal connector you are crimping on and crimp the core between the metal and the outer shielding.

also some accel wire boots are too long on the spark plug side (or the plugs tower is shorter) which keeps the ends of the wire from snapping on the end of the plug... i trimmed my boots down a bit and they fit nicely.
Yeah this the same thing I did when I broke one my plugs off by pulling to hard. I just recrimped it. But you have make sure that inner core is touching the metal part like A20A1 said and also check the resistance of the wires.

urd_86hb
04-06-2004, 01:08 PM
Maybe you got a defective wire or something. I would try buying just a single wire and put it on and see if it does the same thing. Individual wires dont cost too much, so its worth a shot.