PDA

View Full Version : temp gauge isnt woking

hondamanlxi
07-11-2002, 08:21 AM
my temp gauge doesnt work right, it sits on cold and sometimes bounces up and down a little

neways where is the sensor that controls this needle?

88LXi/87CRXSi
07-11-2002, 02:31 PM
The sender for the temp. gauge is mounted on the thermostat housing. Its the one pointing towards the firewall. If you have access to an ohm meter you can test it by:
1. Disconnect the YEL/GRN wire from the sensor.
2. With the engine cold, use an ohmmeter to measure the resistance between the positive terminal and the engine(ground).
3. Check temperature of the coolant.
4. Run the engine and measure the change in resistance with the engine at operating temperature (cooling fan comes on).
Here are the temp/resistance values:
133°F(56°C)=142ohms
185-212°F(85-100°C)=32-49ohms
5. If the obtained readings are substantially different from the specifications, replace the gauge sender.
If you need to test the gauge:
1. With the igntion switch OFF! connect the YEL/GRN lead to ground with a jumper wire.
2. Turn the ignition switch ON, check to see if the needle starts to move towards the H mark.
CAUTION: turn the ignition switch OFF BEFORE the needle reaches the H mark or you WILL damage the gauge!!!!~!!! And that sucker's gonna shoot, so be prepared if you do this procedure!!!
Also check the lead condition. Probably more than you wanted to know. Also it's from my 88 Helms, but it should be the same for your 89. Didn't mean this to be such a long post! Oh well :)

-Steve

shepherd79
07-11-2002, 05:35 PM
dude i had the same problem yesterday.
i had the air buble in the system.
try to bleed the system first.

hondamanlxi
07-11-2002, 08:47 PM
post a pic

mines been doin this for a good while and ive flushed it since

whats the sensor called?

88LXi/87CRXSi
07-12-2002, 12:51 AM
I'm guessing they call it a coolant temp. gauge sender? :confused:
Also check fuse #2 (10 amp) in under dash fuse box.

-Steve

hondamanlxi
07-12-2002, 10:52 AM
Ahhh!!!!!!!!!!!!

THE PLUG ON THE END OF THE WIRE IS CRACKED!

what should i do?

88LXi/87CRXSi
07-13-2002, 07:40 AM
Well if that seems to be the cause, I guess what I'd do is cut another connector with part of the wire off a "donor car" at a boneyard & solder/splice it in it's place. I take it the little round stakeon type thing is broken & not making good contact.

-Steve

StUpiD8000
01-01-2004, 03:21 AM
sorry to bring back old stuff, But is this the same for FI's Im haveing the same thing right now..and were would you get a NEW sender...(please dont say $dealer$)

AZmike
01-01-2004, 10:52 PM
If I remember right the dealer part is under $20 and elsewhere is more like $35. Sometimes the dealer's not so bad.

StUpiD8000
01-02-2004, 12:12 AM
Thx.Ill try

Vinny
01-02-2004, 02:12 AM
Adavnced Auto or parts plus whichever they are called in your area carries GP Soenson P/N 385059 runs 13.49
Autozone caries Wells P/N TU121 which runs 17.99 but should pricematch

Immeraufdemhund
01-02-2004, 08:45 AM
yah for advance price match... ( i will no longer work there come jan 10th)

StUpiD8000
01-02-2004, 11:23 PM
I went to Adcance and look at some temp thing thats not even close, then had to order something els...Heres what the receipt sez...."BA TEMP SEND SW W/GAUGE" theres no part number on it...Weird!! The [rice was $18.99....So im going back tomorrow to se what the part # was and what the part you sey was .......Thx for the help!!

StUpiD8000
01-07-2004, 12:43 AM
Adavnced Auto or parts plus whichever they are called in your area carries GP Soenson P/N 385059 runs 13.49
Autozone caries Wells P/N TU121 which runs 17.99 but should pricematch
Thos are not the ones we need for the gauge....I think thats for the fans..The one I got that I think was it was Advanced Auto was G\P Soenson 38-5051....

And I see there two sensor right there and thay both have the same plug on the ...I have no clue if Im gitting the right part....

Vinny
01-07-2004, 07:11 AM
Thos are not the ones we need for the gauge....I think thats for the fans..The one I got that I think was it was Advanced Auto was G\P Soenson 38-5051....

And I see there two sensor right there and thay both have the same plug on the ...I have no clue if Im gitting the right part....

Trust me on this one. The numbers I listed are for gauge I just changed the thing 2 weeks ago. There are no 2 sensors side by side that look like temp sending unit for the gauge. Its not on top of the thermostat housing. Its on the backside of it. It has a single yellow wire with a green stripe. 385051 is the TW sensor or coolant temp sensor which gives output to the ECU not for the temp gauge itself. If the sensor you have has a 2 pin connector on it you have the wrong one. It should have a metal nipple on it not a pin connector.

Here let me try and make this easy for you, even though I thought giving the part numbers made it idiot proof
This is the P/N cross from NAPA
385051http://www.napaonline.com/images_products/full_sized/78185.jpg 385059http://www.napaonline.com/images_products/full_sized/78321.jpg
This is straight off Advance Auto Part's website
385051http://www.partsamerica.com/product_images/AAP/GPS/TN-TZ/TX37.jpg 385059http://www.partsamerica.com/product_images/AAP/GPS/TN-TZ/TS172.jpg

If you have a switch that looks like the first switch in each line YOU HAVE THE WRONG SWITCH

Your right you have no clue. Please stop trying to live up to or exceed your user name. :rolleyes: Not trying to be an ass. This whole trend on here as of late with members asking for help then telling the members who try to help out that they are wrong and don't know what they are talking about is really getting old. No thats not directed strictly at you so please don't take it that way.

StUpiD8000
01-07-2004, 02:37 PM
The sender for the temp. gauge is mounted on the thermostat housing. Its the one pointing towards the firewall. If you have access to an ohm meter you can test it by:
1. Disconnect the YEL/GRN wire from the sensor.
2. With the engine cold, use an ohmmeter to measure the resistance between the positive terminal and the engine(ground).
3. Check temperature of the coolant.
4. Run the engine and measure the change in resistance with the engine at operating temperature (cooling fan comes on).
Here are the temp/resistance values:
133°F(56°C)=142ohms
185-212°F(85-100°C)=32-49ohms
5. If the obtained readings are substantially different from the specifications, replace the gauge sender.
If you need to test the gauge:

1. With the igntion switch OFF! connect the YEL/GRN lead to ground with a jumper wire.
2. Turn the ignition switch ON, check to see if the needle starts to move towards the H mark.
CAUTION: turn the ignition switch OFF BEFORE the needle reaches the H mark or you WILL damage the gauge!!!!~!!! And that sucker's gonna shoot, so be prepared if you do this procedure!!!
Also check the lead condition. Probably more than you wanted to know. Also it's from my 88 Helms, but it should be the same for your 89. Didn't mean this to be such a long post! Oh well :)

-Steve
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
Is this the one that I was trying to mess with?? I see two switch/sensor's on the top of the thermostat..Thay both look like the part I bought...Where is the one that I need to change at??? ...Thax for your help...If I knew where it was and knew the part, I never would have had to ask

Your right you have no clue. Please stop trying to live up to or exceed your user name. :rolleyes: Not trying to be an ass. This whole trend on here as of late with members asking for help then telling the members who try to help out that they are wrong and don't know what they are talking about is really getting old. No thats not directed strictly at you so please don't take it that way.
WTF...I cant find any other switch/sensor on the thermostat...So Im sorry that I sed that and It looks like the switch that I was told to get to with the wire colors that I was told....What color wire am I looking for???

EDIT: I found it...And just for curiosity...What are the two switch/sensors on the top of the thermostat? The switch I bought..

Moo!!

Vinny
01-07-2004, 04:47 PM
dude please READ
I told you already what one of the 2 switches is, its what they call the TW sensor ECT (eng coolant temp) or coolant temp sensor that goes to the ECU. The other is said to be Temp switch B which has to do with the cooling fans. Its only on the 88 and 89's. It routes through the fan timer/relay under the passenger seat and controls the condensor fan. If it senses a temp over 226 degress or something in that range after you turn the car off the fan should run for a 15 minute cycle i believe

StUpiD8000
01-14-2004, 06:57 PM
Ok, I went and got the 385059 and it still dont work...The gauge it self is funkerd up I think,,I hope its just that...What els might it be???

StUpiD8000
01-31-2004, 02:49 PM
ok..How do I test the gauge itselfe?..Out of the car.. I need to get this working fast

PLEASE HELP