PDA

View Full Version : Degreasers

troutz15
03-17-2004, 05:59 PM
My mom warped the head on her previosuly owned '89 LX b4 she gave it to me. The gaskets fucked up too cuz theres oil leaking from between the head and block. I already have the head, waiting 4 a gasket so i can put it on. Now she ordered the head about say 6 or 7 months ago and its been sitting around gettin dusty. So i decided to clean it up. It was already lubed up from the way it looked, and 5 of the valves needed to be set or gapped. So i got some engine degreaser and sprayed it down. Now the instructions on the bottle says to spray the degreaser on, scrub anywhere that the dirt and grime and shit doesnt come off by itself, and then wash with water. I did that and then i wondered to my self. Wouldnt water cause the valvetrain components to rust and shit? And the degreaser seemed kinda greasy anyways. So i sprayed the remainder of the degreaser on the head and have the head on a thick piece of cardboard draining at the moment. Will the degreaser fuck up my head or not? If so, what do i need to do right now?

smufguy
03-17-2004, 06:33 PM
im def gonna be a prick tonight cause i am having a bad day. This is not performance related, so dont post it here man. its not even technical shit. :rant2: :mad: this is not ur first post that has nothing to do with performance but its in this section.

to answer your question. get yourself some carb cleaners from walmart. Supertech ones cause they are only 75 cents. Spray them on whereever you have dirt and grease or oil. They willl come right off and u can wipe them off if u want with a paper towel. They evaporate real fast and they do get cold cause they are alcohol of somesort. but they do work. So do that. The headgasket is like 30-40 bucks from autozone and get it fixed by using pauls manual from his site.

customandsound
03-18-2004, 06:48 PM
what i use at the shop is simple green and a steam cleaner .. the hotter the water the faster the part's come clean

2ndgenludedude1986
03-18-2004, 07:41 PM
it wont rust the springs and stuff, it mite start a lil bit but once you get the head on and oil gets aroudn them it really wont matter. i buy this stuff called greazed lightning, seems to work awesome on degreasing. it is a bit greasy adn the stuff needs rinsed real well.

k-roy
03-18-2004, 07:48 PM
If your worried you can spray down your valvetrain with moly lube. That way its pretected at the first startup.

carotman
03-18-2004, 09:03 PM
Simple Green does wonders! Plus it doesn't stink too much and is biodegradable, will not damage paint and acts nicely if you use hot water...

This is one of Carot's best buys!

HondaBoy
03-18-2004, 11:02 PM
ok, i may be not getting it right, but your trying to degrease the cylinder head? like the inner workings of it? if its gunky, what i know the old school guys did is use gasoline. carb cleaner works too. i would try and not use anything that is water based. cleaning the outside of the engine with degreasers is good though. so tell what is dirty. like is the oil really thick and kind of caked up inside?