PDA

View Full Version : Got rear-ended....

danronian
03-18-2004, 04:50 AM
On the hour long drive to school today, I was going to stop at this blind intersection and the idiot behind me in his new jetta locked up the brakes and slid into me in the snow. The old man said he didn't think I was going to stop but I told him I usuallly stop at stop signs. He gives me his info and he was all shaken up and he knew it was his fault. He told me he would just like to pay me instead of going through the insurance. I figure he hit me pretty hard since I had quite a jolt. My rear bumper isn't visibly cracked but I am sure the inside foam or plastic is. I went on Majestic and added up all of the rear bumper components (which I am fairly sure are damaged in some way) other then the cover. It added up to $318 without shipping and crap. How much do you guys think I should make him pay? Keep in mind he has no idea that my car is old or has beat paint since it was snow covered, so all that he knows I could be driving a show car. On top of that my back is now hurting me, so how much do you think I chiropractr (sp) appointment would be? I want to get back to him soon since he is probably old and forgetful and will forget about the accident in a day or two. Any ideas on how much would be reasonable? Or how much do you guys usually ask for getting rearended at about 15-20 mph? I don't want to tell him too much and have him take it to the insurance since I reallly don't want to pay more than I already do, but at the same time I don't want to rip myself off.

shepherd79
03-18-2004, 04:56 AM
sorry to hear. don't trust the old people man. go through insurance. it is longer but it is worth more.

cubert
03-18-2004, 05:17 AM
yea..go through insurance....dont trust him

$mokenB'$
03-18-2004, 08:52 AM
give him a bunch of bs and try to get some money out of him... not saying rip him off but make him pay for everything u can.

hondamanlxi
03-18-2004, 08:57 AM
Before you go thru insurance.....just make sure the damage wont total your car (doesnt sound that way!)

If you want a bodykit heres you chance to get started! :idea:

DanLXI88
03-18-2004, 11:29 AM
On the hour long drive to school today, I was going to stop at this blind intersection and the idiot behind me in his new jetta locked up the brakes and slid into me in the snow. The old man said he didn't think I was going to stop but I told him I usuallly stop at stop signs. He gives me his info and he was all shaken up and he knew it was his fault. He told me he would just like to pay me instead of going through the insurance. I figure he hit me pretty hard since I had quite a jolt. My rear bumper isn't visibly cracked but I am sure the inside foam or plastic is. I went on Majestic and added up all of the rear bumper components (which I am fairly sure are damaged in some way) other then the cover. It added up to $318 without shipping and crap. How much do you guys think I should make him pay? Keep in mind he has no idea that my car is old or has beat paint since it was snow covered, so all that he knows I could be driving a show car. On top of that my back is now hurting me, so how much do you think I chiropractr (sp) appointment would be? I want to get back to him soon since he is probably old and forgetful and will forget about the accident in a day or two. Any ideas on how much would be reasonable? Or how much do you guys usually ask for getting rearended at about 15-20 mph? I don't want to tell him too much and have him take it to the insurance since I reallly don't want to pay more than I already do, but at the same time I don't want to rip myself off.
Your insurance shouldn't go up it wasn't your fault. And I would go to the insurance & the doctor man does not play with back pain what if in two weeks your back is worse? I feel bad for the old dude but I mean come on he hit you that fast? He needs some kind of penalty for his carelessness IMO.

HondaBoy
03-18-2004, 02:39 PM
id say stick with the insurance company. uh, well thats why we have insureance. anyway, dont know about how to price bills and shit. but i know if you got rear ended you should replace the whole bumper assembly. the actual steel bumper, inner foam shock absorber. those are to be replaced because they can make a big difference if you get hit harder again. bumper cover is not neccesary unless you dont like the look of it. hope you get that straitened out.