PDA

View Full Version : How do you live without choke?

dysiu
03-18-2004, 07:16 AM
Hi,

Step by step I got rid of all the vacuum powered accessories around my engine. Just recently I tossed my choke since it started malfunctioning. I left the plate (in open position). It's not so warm here yet so I had problems starting the car after the engine got cold. It would start, then die after 3 seconds, second time it would run if I kept it at 2500 rpm or so. I had to rev it for 2 minutes just to be able to drive. Annoying. I decided to put manual choke on it. $10 kit from Autozone and 30 minutes later it was installed and working correctly (mechanically). Unfortunately I still have the same problems and closing the choke doesn't help. If it's closed the car wont start or would die immediately. I know I'm supposed to keep throttle slightly open but no difference if I do. The only way I can start the car is by keeping the choke plate open and do what I did before, that is rev it at 2500 for 2 minutes.

Can you guys that don't have choke (and have cold nights) describe some of your problems? Thanks.

accordlxi2.0
03-18-2004, 07:44 AM
hey you can start it with the choke open! i tried that once well maybe i did'nt do it long enough

SteveDX89
03-18-2004, 08:36 AM
That is normal. When it's cold, you have to let it sit for a couple mins. before driving. When I go to start mine, I pump the gas pedal twice. Then I turn the key to on so the fuel pump turns on and pump it 2-3 times. I turn it to start and it starts turning over, then you have to push the gas in. I hold it at 2000 rpm for about a minute, then drop it down to 1500 for about 2-3 minutes. You should be good to go after that. Once the car is fully warmed up, it will idle normal.

hondamanlxi
03-18-2004, 09:04 AM
i went all winter with the choke wide-open! no biggie just assist the idle in the morning (foot)

shepherd79
03-18-2004, 09:08 AM
it sounds like your carb needs to be rebuild.
on my old car, i didn't have choke at all, not even a plate. SteveDX89 has that carb.
i never had any problems with starting. half a turn and the car will crank it with no problem. to be a total redneck, i just cut a piece of wood and stick it between gas pedal and seat. i would adjust so it idles at about 1500rpm. let it idle for 2 minutes and drive.
still i think your problem is the carb. you may want to rebuild it or clean it very very good.

dysiu
03-20-2004, 11:15 AM
OK, no more choke for me... I removed the cable for manual choke as well as choke plate. It starts fine now and with foot assistance works just like some of you described. I just hope I will be able to start that thing next winter.

Thanks.