PDA

View Full Version : spark plug hole threads

Silver86LX
03-18-2004, 11:57 AM
When I bought my car from the dealership, it ran great. It idled smooth and started up right away with no hesitation. Before I brought it home, the dealer changed the spark plugs on it. Since then it's been running like shit. It's hard to start when it's cold, and idles rough. I figured that the spark plugs weren't gapped properly so I decided to take them out one at a time and make sure they're all gapped properly. When it came time for me to do the second cylinder from the left (no. 3?), I had a bit of trouble getting it out of the hole. I eventually got it out and gapped it correctly and tried to put it back in, but I would give it about 2 or 3 turns and then it wouldn't turn anymore. I took it out of the hole and had a look at the threading of the hole. The threads look kind of rough, but the ones on the spark plug are fine. Then I tried using another spark plug in the same hole and the exact same thing happened. My question is how hard is it to have the spark plug hole re-threaded? Will it be expensive? Does the head have to be taken off to do it?

Thanks in advance

Steve

Mac
03-18-2004, 12:59 PM
You can actually do it yourself. You can get a thread chaser for spark plug holes at most auto stores. Just make sure that it is metric (14 mm I think). You just start it, and run it down. If you decide to have it done I think it should be pretty cheap.

Silver86LX
03-18-2004, 09:59 PM
Thanks alot. But one more question. If I were to use one of those thread chasers, would I have to worry about getting small metal shavings in the combustion chamber?

eightyfivelude
03-18-2004, 11:27 PM
you coat the chaser with motor oil before you start and it should hold onto most if not all of the metal that comes off

Matt

AZmike
03-19-2004, 12:16 PM
Thanks alot. But one more question. If I were to use one of those thread chasers, would I have to worry about getting small metal shavings in the combustion chamber?

I'd use grease on the tap so it held onto the chips better. It might not be a bad idea to only go a few turns at a time and then remove the tap and clean and regrease it to keep the combustion chamber as clean as possible.

MrBen
03-19-2004, 01:44 PM
I'd take it back and make them do it.

stolenracer
03-19-2004, 01:47 PM
dont use oil use grease so when you back out the chaser all the shaveings will come with it and not fall into the block and they cost around 24.00 bucks at any true value or farm and fleet

Silver86LX
03-20-2004, 11:33 AM
I went out today and bought a hole re-threader kit. It came with a few other things and it cost me $55. It was a bit expensive, but it was worth it cosidering how much it would've cost me to have a mechanic do it. Anyways, my dad and I fixed the hole and got the spark plug in there and it runs fine now. :)