PDA

View Full Version : Alternator light question

SeanTypeR
03-18-2004, 05:52 PM
As you know, there is like a battery light on the dash. Mine comes on all the time and I don't know why. It mostly happens when I drive the car hard(fast) and all I have to do to make it go away is push the gas to about 5500rpm and it leaves for a minute but then comes back. I read in one of those 3rd generation accord books that it will usually be an alternator problem. But I got a new alternator about 2 months ago, and it was doing it before that. It is starting to piss me off. What could this be?

Neuspeed87lx
03-18-2004, 07:04 PM
test the battery .... then test the charging system .... some places like auto zone will test that stuff for free... it sounds like an alternator problem....

pixiesfan78
03-18-2004, 07:11 PM
the only time my alternator light came on the alternator was going bad it took a few weeks for it to die completely but if i were you i would go to autozone asap and get it tested being stranded sucks.

HondaBoy
03-18-2004, 07:21 PM
hey, maybe the new alternator is bad too? it wouldnt hurt to get it tested if you can. luckly i havent had any electrical problems since ive had the car, ok only the battery. maybe test the battery also. maybe test your positive and negative wires running from the battery, also the ones on the alternator. maybe it could be a stupid ground wire. those love to do this. thats about all i can think of.

Mac
03-19-2004, 04:38 AM
Check the condition and tension of the belt.

shepherd79
03-19-2004, 05:24 AM
-check the belts first.
-take it to autozone so they can check it.
-replace the alternator is it needs to.

Blkblurr
03-19-2004, 05:37 AM
I agree. check the belts first. It's most likely your problem. This question comes up all the time and it happens on most cars.

accordlxi2.0
03-19-2004, 07:10 AM
check to see if the choke is opening when the engine is cold running, then if it's not open after ten minute's or so then check to see the top post where that one wire terminal goes, is loose or sparking, that could be your problem.

KoNEY
03-19-2004, 11:12 PM
yeah, i had the same exact problem, still do, my belts are tigh, and my alt. is brand new and in proper working order, ive had it teste, it just lights up at like 5 grand or so for a second, u should definitely check the wiring from the alternator to the battery, i completely burned my positive wire in two where it plugs in the alternator, so check thatand make sure, also, a bad body ground will cause this as well, so make sure u have a good solid wire going from your engine to your car's body, the stock body ground is on the valve cover on the "most-leftiest" bolt on top. just check all tour geonds and stuff, but if not, then just ignore it, mine just blinks sometimes, but it doesnt really hurt anything

89 Accords Rock
06-08-2004, 03:52 AM
A blinking battery light is something to always worry about. Mine blinks like mad. Now it comes on when i start the damn car. I think something is majorly wrong. I dunno what I am going to do about it, But i have 3 alternators so i am going to go to get mine rebuilt again today. Pisses me off. Ive replaced the alternator like 4 times in the last few months. Only takes me like 20 minutes to get the axle out and the new alt back in! LOL!

FoX
06-08-2004, 05:54 AM
A blinking battery light is something to always worry about. Mine blinks like mad. Now it comes on when i start the damn car. I think something is majorly wrong. I dunno what I am going to do about it, But i have 3 alternators so i am going to go to get mine rebuilt again today. Pisses me off. Ive replaced the alternator like 4 times in the last few months. Only takes me like 20 minutes to get the axle out and the new alt back in! LOL!
first off, i would remove it through the top by removing the top two screws on the airbox if F/i or out by the vacuum control box on a carbed. second off, most of these cars have a white/green wire coming off the alt. that gets broken, usually if you just cut it by the connector leaving some slack you can tie into it and connect it to the positive terminal of the battery and usually that stops all the alt. problems.

philth2
06-09-2004, 07:04 AM
I had the exact same problem no idea what caused it.. then went out and refilled the tranny (Leaky seal too lazy to fix) and it's been out for 3 days now. I finally can listen to music for over 20 mins. Sadly I have bought a new alt for it and was just waiting till the weekend to change it. It's a really pissy problem thats too irratic to properly diagnose.