PDA

View Full Version : stupid front speaker question

Dopefish
03-18-2004, 06:16 PM
I am already fairly confident, but i just want to be safe and ask to make sure there are no potential problems that I don't forsee.

Also, I am sorry if this has been covered a million times before, but I was unable to quickly find a similar topic.

Anyway, I recently got a new deck & rear speakers installed professionally, but kept my original front speakers because I am a cheap bastard. Upon realizing that they sound like absolute shit, I want to replace them on my own.

I Know that the front speakers are standard 5¼", etc. What I am wondering is what will be involved in replacing them? Will I only need to screw in the new speakers and solder/clip the wires? Or is it more complicated than that?

Dragonfly
03-18-2004, 06:24 PM
I am already fairly confident, but i just want to be safe and ask to make sure there are no potential problems that I don't forsee.

Also, I am sorry if this has been covered a million times before, but I was unable to quickly find a similar topic.

Anyway, I recently got a new deck & rear speakers installed professionally, but kept my original front speakers because I am a cheap bastard. Upon realizing that they sound like absolute shit, I want to replace them on my own.

I Know that the front speakers are standard 5¼", etc. What I am wondering is what will be involved in replacing them? Will I only need to screw in the new speakers and solder/clip the wires? Or is it more complicated than that?
thats all u have to do its easey

neoblue89lxi
03-18-2004, 09:16 PM
The front speakers are 6.5".

Dopefish
03-18-2004, 09:29 PM
Not on the Lx, bud. Rears are 6.5, fronts are 5.25.

I beleive the LXi's have rear 6x9's and front 6.5's

edit: although, that reminds me: is there a way i can use 6.5's even though the mounts will probably be for 5.25?

Bigmaxxin
03-18-2004, 10:20 PM
on my lxi i have 5.25's up front, but i do have the 6x9's in the rear.

Dopefish
03-18-2004, 10:33 PM
hrm. perhaps neoblue is mistaken, or he has a unique setup?

MattsAccord
03-18-2004, 10:36 PM
I have an Lx and and have 6.5's all the way around. :werd:

Moodybluesr
03-19-2004, 04:30 AM
The front speaker baskets are made to fit either 5 1/4 or 6 1/2, although aftermarket 6 1/2 drivers usually have magnet structures that are too large to fit without cutting. This is where having a dremel tool will help you out immensely. I currently have a pair of Boston Acoustics RX67's (6 1/2) mounted in the front, although I had to cut away pretty much the entire basket to accomodate the massive magnets.

neoblue89lxi
03-19-2004, 05:19 AM
I have 3 way pioneer 6.5 up front and 6x9 in the rear and they fit with no problem. Didn't know the dx came with smaller speakers.

shepherd79
03-19-2004, 05:51 AM
i have 6.5" all the way around on my LX and LXI.

MrBen
03-19-2004, 11:05 AM
The only way you can know for sure is by checking yourself.

DanLXI88
03-19-2004, 02:50 PM
I think it depends on hatch or trunk. Go here this will help. Pick some speakers you like it'll show you if it fits.

http://www.crutchfield.com/cgi-bin/S-dVcxg3ZodDy/ProdMenu.asp?s=0&cc=01&c=3&vst=Y

Dopefish
03-19-2004, 05:27 PM
Bah, ghettoaccord is right. Ill just buy some 6.5's and hope they fit. otherwise, i have a dremel.

HondaBoy
03-19-2004, 11:17 PM
hmm, 5 1/4 for the fronts eh? maybe that was on the american made 3gees? mine was made in japan. anyway with the LX trim, it had the 6 1/2's in the doors and in the rear shelf. i still have my old ones and they measure 6 1/2. i know the SE-i came with something like 5 1/4, well it was smaller than 6 1/2. they were better though somehow, mounted in a bass reflector thingy, for the fronts anyway. i dont think there is any soldering required to put new speakers in unless the female connectors is broken off or the new speaker has different male connectors. in fact i may need to be replacing my door and rear shelf speakers. i've upgraded to 6x9 speakers on the rear shelf, much better sound! oh, and usually there is like univeral fit holes in the speakers. different off set of holes. what brand are you going with, and which ones are they?

Dopefish
03-22-2004, 06:51 PM
have not yet chosen a brand, but i have sony xplod's in the rear and i am pretty happy with them

mag_pbg
03-22-2004, 07:18 PM
Mine must be messed up or I've got 5 1/4 all the way around and it's a hatch from Japan, but unfortantly (sp) I was cheap and only got speakers for the front. Good Ol second hand Boston Acoustics.

Raduque
03-22-2004, 08:32 PM
It depends on year, too, I think.

88 LXI Coupe, 6.5 front, 6x9 rear. Pioneer all the way around, had to assault the rear pods with a dremel to fit them perfectly, though.

PortugalFocus
03-23-2004, 12:54 PM
I had just 5.25"s in the front of my DX when I had it. I custom cut holes in the rear deck for (2) 6.5"s and (2) 5.25"s.......

sccrsteve5
03-24-2004, 09:37 PM
i have 6.5" speakers all around...i only use the front two right now...left the two in the back out cuz they needed time correction...and it helps get sound from the subs through now that the holes are empty :rolleyes:...but then i roll with my back seat laying down and flip it almost all the way up when i stop(just reach back and flip it) then get in and pull it back down...pretty nice so i am gonna take out the back of the seat and put some padding and fabric that isn't as thick for better sound. get back to yas lata. peace

Bigmaxxin
03-27-2004, 05:48 PM
ok iv just noticed a new problem on my lxi coupe, the tension rods to hold the trunk open are scraping the magnet on my rear speakers, is it okay to cut these with a dremel? or should i try to slide it away with some pliers or something?

fuzzy audio
03-27-2004, 09:13 PM
I'm wondering this same thing. I just ordered some Infinity's and I'm sure they are going to rub up against that bar...

Hash_man_Se_i
03-27-2004, 09:16 PM
I never even thought about that bar... I was going to get some Focals back there soon, and maybe I will have to take that in to consideration now.

fuzzy audio
03-27-2004, 09:18 PM
ooops i messed up....

POS carb
03-28-2004, 10:57 AM
ok the speakers are different in all the cars I dunno why but ex my
USDM '87 came with 5 1/4 all around

As far as upgrading the best way to do it is to get the adapter for the right car (a 3gee with 6.5 and 6x9, you can take the mounting pods out and install them in your car if it's like mine)

The only way to know for sure what size is to measure it.

The speaker wires in the door are both standard size female terminals, usually when you buy speakers they bring a length of terminated wire. If your seakers have a pair of matching terminals just use the factory wires. If it has a big + terminal and a skinny - terminal then you need to solder (or tape) the new wires in or put new terminals on the factory wires. Also, you will probably need to modify the front speaker mounting pod, when I upgraded the new magnet wouldn't fit in the basket (you'll know when you see it) so I cut off the back of the pod with some diagonal cutters.

Massive speakers will prevent the window from coming down all the way though, if this happens you need some kind of spacing ring to move the speaker outwards so that the window clears the magnet

POS carb
03-28-2004, 10:59 AM
PS DO NOT CUT THOSE RODS IN THE TRUNK

the damn lid won't stay up you'll have to put hydraulics on the lid or something first. For now just pull them out of the way, they would be hard to bend. I've never taken them off for fear of not being able to reinstall them