PDA

View Full Version : How much would a decent sold color paint job cost?

BKKloppenborg
03-18-2004, 09:27 PM
I wanted to change the color on my Honda Accord LX 89 to all white i hate the color on it now Bright Gold! :barf: :kekeke:

How much would it cost for a repaint, and if anyone has any place to suggest that would be nice. Thanks, Brian

A20A1
03-18-2004, 10:05 PM
Damn you don't like the gold... I've seen a few with the (I'm guessing factory) "5-SPEED" logo across the bottom of the door that looked prety good.

I'd say a decent job would at least be 1,000. or you could rent a booth the gun/compressor and do it yourself.

blazin3gen
03-18-2004, 10:06 PM
MAACO! there "best" paint job is like facken 250 as so i heard on the commercials :D call maaco!

BKKloppenborg
03-18-2004, 10:43 PM
MAACO! there "best" paint job is like facken 250 as so i heard on the commercials :D call maaco!
LOL maybye i not sure about them my friend got a paint job there and hated it. But she is really rich so maybye it wasn't her cup of tea.

Busted_Blue
03-18-2004, 11:39 PM
MAACO = really really cheap paintjob.. I wouldnt really reccomend it.

BKKloppenborg
03-18-2004, 11:42 PM
MAACO = really really cheap paintjob.. I wouldnt really reccomend it.

K ty thats what i thought to. It seems to cheap for them to do a good job.

SteveDX89
03-19-2004, 03:06 AM
A very very good job could cost up to $3000. I would imagine yours would since you're planning a color change and that would require door and trunk jambs, and also underhood. It could even be more than that.

paynt3r
03-19-2004, 08:53 AM
It all depends on whay you want. If you don't care about how your car looks, bomb can it for $25. If you want just an "OK" paint job that will look just "OK" for just a couple of years, and only cost $200/300, go to MAACO. If you want to do a color change that will look "Good" take it to a reputable body shop and pay in the vacinity of $3000 for it. If you want a "COMPLETE" color change that will look like it was the factory job, or if you want something custom that totally kiks ASS, better plan on spending upwards of $5000. If you ever decide to try and paint it yourself, you will understan why reputable body shops charge so much.

I am currently painting a friends Porsche 944. Just repainting the origional medium red color, in a base/clear PPG paint. So far just the supplies are running in $600 price range. That is just the Primer-paint-clear-degreaser-tape-paper. The rest is just time.

The big thing to remember, is that the finnished look is only as good as the base you put the paint on!

XxDark_AccordxX
03-19-2004, 09:05 AM
Maaco is good at first but their quality of paint is just crap. I wouldnt recomment them at all. A good friend of mine painted his mustang red there and 2 years later the paint was literally "peeling" off and it looked horrible. I mean its good if u just wana make the car good enough to sell but if ur plannin on keeping it, u might as well get a better job done. its expensive, but as they say you get what you pay for...

BKKloppenborg
03-19-2004, 09:09 AM
Maaco is good at first but their quality of paint is just crap. I wouldnt recomment them at all. A good friend of mine painted his mustang red there and 2 years later the paint was literally "peeling" off and it looked horrible. I mean its good if u just wana make the car good enough to sell but if ur plannin on keeping it, u might as well get a better job done. its expensive, but as they say you get what you pay for...

Ya thats true you do get what you pay for..

SteveDX89
03-19-2004, 10:16 AM
The paint at Maaco isn't crap. Their prep work is crap. You're friends paint peeled because Maaco doesn't prep a car well. They don't strip the old paint. They spray the old stuff with some kind of bonding substance that doesn't work very well. That's why it peels. Their gun work is pretty close to the reputable shops. My car was painted there 2 years ago and it's still holding up pretty good. I do take care of it almost religiously and any scratches or spots where it does begin to peel gets touched up right away. I only have 2 or 3 spots where it peeled. I touched it up and it's not peeling anymore. Any car's paint must be well maintained to stand the test of time.

BKKloppenborg
03-19-2004, 11:05 AM
The paint at Maaco isn't crap. Their prep work is crap. You're friends paint peeled because Maaco doesn't prep a car well. They don't strip the old paint. They spray the old stuff with some kind of bonding substance that doesn't work very well. That's why it peels. Their gun work is pretty close to the reputable shops. My car was painted there 2 years ago and it's still holding up pretty good. I do take care of it almost religiously and any scratches or spots where it does begin to peel gets touched up right away. I only have 2 or 3 spots where it peeled. I touched it up and it's not peeling anymore. Any car's paint must be well maintained to stand the test of time.

How hard is it to paint a car yourself? It will save me money how much would it cost if i had all the right tools?

Busted_Blue
03-19-2004, 11:22 AM
How hard is it to paint a car yourself? It will save me money how much would it cost if i had all the right tools?

You are better off with Maaco then.

customandsound
03-19-2004, 05:12 PM
no Maaco is not the place they did one for me and that 250 went to 2500... they suck ball's the paint don't match and it looks bad .... they did not even do the jambs .. and the small dent i paid to fix was painted over .... go to a good shop your car is your 2nd biggest investment ... other than a house .... and toys !!!!!!

BKKloppenborg
03-19-2004, 06:40 PM
no Maaco is not the place they did one for me and that 250 went to 2500... they suck ball's the paint don't match and it looks bad .... they did not even do the jambs .. and the small dent i paid to fix was painted over .... go to a good shop your car is your 2nd biggest investment ... other than a house .... and toys !!!!!!

K well i wont paint myself then and wont go to maaco. ty all for help.

customandsound
03-19-2004, 06:57 PM
my car is on my webapge ... it was to be a teal ... the link is at the bottom

i got some paint for my monte from house of color and it was not cheap either ...

BKKloppenborg
03-20-2004, 10:57 AM
my car is on my webapge ... it was to be a teal ... the link is at the bottom

i got some paint for my monte from house of color and it was not cheap either ...

i might just do it myself with my dad, he took a body class which taught him how to paint and fix dents, i will need that to Honda has one big dent in it.

BKKloppenborg
03-21-2004, 12:50 PM
My uncle said he will do it for me and he is good at painting. He painted he pt with black and Flames on side it looks nice. I asked him and he said he would do it for like 150 dollers LOL good deal, can't wait i have 100 dollers saved up already. (:

paynt3r
03-22-2004, 06:38 AM
What Brand of paint will he use? HOK is extrememly expensive. PPG makes a damn good product and is a bit less. As far as an everyday driver goes, I paint them with "Omni" brand paints. IT is made by PPG and holds up real well for everyday use.

BKKloppenborg
03-22-2004, 11:55 AM
What Brand of paint will he use? HOK is extrememly expensive. PPG makes a damn good product and is a bit less. As far as an everyday driver goes, I paint them with "Omni" brand paints. IT is made by PPG and holds up real well for everyday use.

I dont know what he uses, i dont care really because he pt cruz still looks great after he painted it 2 years ago, so its all good.

k-roy
03-22-2004, 12:43 PM
Just go to freakin Maaco and do all the prep work yourself.
Wetsand it all down with 600 grit, remove all the trim and mask off everything else yourself.
Make sure they primer, sand, primer, sand, paint, colorsand and clearcoat. Thats not the cheapass job right there. The more prepwork you do the better. Make sure when you take the car in you take a walkaround with the person who will be doing the work. Point out everything, hell make him a list while your at it. My car was painted by them 3 years ago and 90% of the paint is still good, it would be closer to perfect if more prepwork would have been done. Unfortunately the job was done before I purchased the car.

http://monolith.projectgamma.com/~kroy/3geez/car7.JPG

XxDark_AccordxX
03-22-2004, 01:17 PM
hmm thats not a bad idea. I was always told their paint quality was crap but according to everyone else its how they prep. Maybe i should just do that and bring it in. I just dont want it to peel like my friends car

BKKloppenborg
03-22-2004, 01:28 PM
hmm thats not a bad idea. I was always told their paint quality was crap but according to everyone else its how they prep. Maybe i should just do that and bring it in. I just dont want it to peel like my friends car

Ya, i might do that prep my self then have them paint it. But first im gonna see how much my uncle will charge me he said he only would charge me for the paint. If thats to much then i will take it to Macco.

XxDark_AccordxX
03-22-2004, 01:38 PM
yeah if u can get it cheaper u might as well do that. I just think thats alot of prepin to do and now thats its getting hot (well at least here....whew!!) i dont really wanna do it lol. So we'll see what happens. My paint isnt that bad, just fading on the top, hood, and trunk but nuthin really noticable. I might as well wait till i get a body kit so i can just do it all at once

BKKloppenborg
03-22-2004, 01:41 PM
yeah if u can get it cheaper u might as well do that. I just think thats alot of prepin to do and now thats its getting hot (well at least here....whew!!) i dont really wanna do it lol. So we'll see what happens. My paint isnt that bad, just fading on the top, hood, and trunk but nuthin really noticable. I might as well wait till i get a body kit so i can just do it all at once

I am changinng my color because i hate bright gold and plus its also fading in certain spots, well good luck.

XxDark_AccordxX
03-22-2004, 01:46 PM
I am changinng my color because i hate bright gold and plus its also fading in certain spots, well good luck.

haha i dont blaim ya. im probably keepin the same color. What color u goin for? and make sure u post pics when ur done so we can see how it turned out

BKKloppenborg
03-22-2004, 02:07 PM
haha i dont blaim ya. im probably keepin the same color. What color u goin for? and make sure u post pics when ur done so we can see how it turned out

I either will paint it White, Midnight Blue, Black, Red, or silver

I am still not sure yet but out of all those Midnight Blue or White is the most likely.

k-roy
03-22-2004, 02:23 PM
White is not an easy color to paint over a darker color.
You would be better off with Midnight Blue.

XxDark_AccordxX
03-22-2004, 02:31 PM
Ooooh do midnight blue. Thats a really nice color

BKKloppenborg
03-22-2004, 02:49 PM
Ooooh do midnight blue. Thats a really nice color

Thats what i was probaly gonna do ez to keep clean and is a good color.

BTY i saw your car on your web site looks nice, are you gonna do and mods to it soon?

XxDark_AccordxX
03-22-2004, 02:56 PM
Thats what i was probaly gonna do ez to keep clean and is a good color.

BTY i saw your car on your web site looks nice, are you gonna do and mods to it soon?

Yeah white and black show every scratch. yeah im not sure what yet tho. I really wanna work on getting it to accelerate faster but i know NUTHING really on engines so right now im just saving the money up. Plus my lil harness issue lol. what about u?

BKKloppenborg
03-22-2004, 03:41 PM
Yeah white and black show every scratch. yeah im not sure what yet tho. I really wanna work on getting it to accelerate faster but i know NUTHING really on engines so right now im just saving the money up. Plus my lil harness issue lol. what about u?

I got a repair mannual for my car of of ebay yesterday and it should be here soon. As soon as it does i have some minior things to fix. Then the next things are working on mufflers, cold air intake, new sparks, wires, cap, roater, ignition, a new suppension because right now its buppy as hell when you ride in it, and lots of new pipes. i plan to but a Turbo in there so the hardest part will be converting the engine to Fuel injection. So after i am done with all my mods it gonna be a really fast car. :cheers:

XxDark_AccordxX
03-23-2004, 03:32 PM
I got a repair mannual for my car of of ebay yesterday and it should be here soon. As soon as it does i have some minior things to fix. Then the next things are working on mufflers, cold air intake, new sparks, wires, cap, roater, ignition, a new suppension because right now its buppy as hell when you ride in it, and lots of new pipes. i plan to but a Turbo in there so the hardest part will be converting the engine to Fuel injection. So after i am done with all my mods it gonna be a really fast car. :cheers:

wow sounds nice. Are you doing it all urself or are you getting help with all that?

BKKloppenborg
03-23-2004, 03:40 PM
wow sounds nice. Are you doing it all urself or are you getting help with all that?

I am doing most myself, but also will have some help as far as the turbo, i have no idea how to set one up. I got a reapir manual and i am looking though it and seeing what i can do. Most is easy except the turbo, so my Uncle knows how to do that and is gonna help me on it.

speedpenguin
03-23-2004, 05:10 PM
a little off-topic, but since maaco is being discussed, i was wondering how they would work if i was just having it repainted the same color. (factory red, baby)
or is there prep problems either way. (i don't know much about bodywork)

BKKloppenborg
03-23-2004, 06:34 PM
a little off-topic, but since maaco is being discussed, i was wondering how they would work if i was just having it repainted the same color. (factory red, baby)
or is there prep problems either way. (i don't know much about bodywork)

It would probaly work better. See what i had heard from my friends whop have been there about half have changed the whole color off car and they all hated how they did it. The other half just repainted car same color and they said its ok, so as long as its the same color you are better off probaly.

Elijah
03-23-2004, 07:04 PM

250 is for them to spray it only. that is no sanding, no prep no thing just point the gun and they go. I called about my wifes old accord she had she paid some guy and he was taking months so we were going to get it sprayed that was all that was left and maco said it would be 250 just to spray not even masking it off.

BKKloppenborg
03-23-2004, 08:21 PM
250 is for them to spray it only. that is no sanding, no prep no thing just point the gun and they go. I called about my wifes old accord she had she paid some guy and he was taking months so we were going to get it sprayed that was all that was left and maco said it would be 250 just to spray not even masking it off.

Ya i would prep it my self, that is easy then i would let them do the painting.

XxDark_AccordxX
03-24-2004, 12:12 PM
No prep and just spray? what about the faded parts or the deep scratches? wouldnt it look uneven?

BKKloppenborg
03-24-2004, 01:14 PM
No prep and just spray? what about the faded parts or the deep scratches? wouldnt it look uneven?

I would prep my self, because i heard Macco does bad prep work. So i will prep my self, but let them do the painting i am just gonna repaint my car a whole different color Mabye Midnight blue, black, or white.