PDA

View Full Version : Ok with turbos how more HP will i get about?

BKKloppenborg
03-18-2004, 09:30 PM
Ok with turbos how more HP will i get about? I have two possible engines i would put them on 1 old boring engine that comes with a 89 LX Accord 2.0 L 98 HP, or 2 a new engine swap 160 HP engine which i am hopeing to get. So what is a good guess? P.S. Sorry about all the damn questions but i am bad at cars and am just learning now and 2 i want a faster car.

Thanks, Brian :stupid:

Volitech
03-18-2004, 09:37 PM
Try doing a search for turbo you should be able to find all the ansers you need!

A20A1
03-18-2004, 09:43 PM
The more important thing about turbocharging is the increase in torque.

86AccordLxi
03-18-2004, 09:45 PM
Are you honestly going to convert your car to EFI, do a b16 swap (160hp) and turbo it???

Survey says: no, probably not. While your dedication is to be admired, you must search thoroughly through all of the threads that have been posted at 3geez to find your answers. It's not as simple as you may have lead yourself (or someone has led you) to believe. It takes a lot of time, and more important, money. Do you have this?? If not, just drive your LX stock or with a couple of bolt-on goodies and call it good. We don't need a billion threads in the performance section about "h0w much m4d hOrsEpoWeR wi11 i gEt wiTh NaWs or TURBO!!!??? Do your research, then ask questions when you realize the time commitment to complete the project which you are referring to.

Alex

BensAccordLxi
03-18-2004, 10:14 PM
Man, you guys are tuff with the newbies. Don't turbo charge a b16. If you want to turbo your car, just turbo the a20. It'll be alot cheaper. The b16 won't get you too far with a turbo unless you build the hell out of it. You could build an LS/Vtec and turbo that. I'm thinking of just slapping a turbo on my a20 for my drag car. I was thinking myself about the b16 turbo but it's gonna cost too much.

BKKloppenborg
03-18-2004, 10:16 PM
Man, you guys are tuff with the newbies. Don't turbo charge a b16. If you want to turbo your car, just turbo the a20. It'll be alot cheaper. The b16 won't get you too far with a turbo unless you build the hell out of it. You could build an LS/Vtec and turbo that. I'm thinking of just slapping a turbo on my a20 for my drag car. I was thinking myself about the b16 turbo but it's gonna cost too much.

ty for the help with a a20 a turbo and Vtec how much horse power will i get from that?

BensAccordLxi
03-18-2004, 10:20 PM
I know a guy who has a built b16 turbo and he puts 238 to the wheels. I'm not sure about the a20. I figure if you get an a20a3 and rebuild it your self, slap the turbo on it, probobly some where in the 140-180 wheel horse power range. It could be more.

86AccordLxi
03-18-2004, 10:21 PM
VTEC is not something you just add to a car....

Alex

BKKloppenborg
03-18-2004, 10:22 PM
I know a guy who has a built b16 turbo and he puts 238 to the wheels. I'm not sure about the a20. I figure if you get an a20a3 and rebuild it your self, slap the turbo on it, probobly some where in the 140-180 wheel horse power range. It could be more.

wow ty :bow: so much now i know what mods i will get on Honda.. :rice: :lock:

BKKloppenborg
03-18-2004, 10:24 PM
VTEC is not something you just add to a car....

Alex

He said i would have to buy a Vtec header and rebuild the top of the engine to make it have vtec. P.S. he is the one who fixed up a old thunderbird and many other cars.

89AcCOrDmike
03-18-2004, 10:26 PM
BKK-

i suggest you do some more research before you go and buy anything. Horsepower is not the only thing that makes your car fast, its a bit more complicated than that. Also, I have yet to see a working A20 engine with vtec, so that is another problem you will run into. Just research more by using the search button, then ask questions.

86AccordLxi
03-18-2004, 10:26 PM
And you're going to put this on an a20? I think not. Please learn what everything is that you want to 'jack up' your car with (as another one of your noobie brethren put it) before you get too dreamy.... Learn how a turbo and VTEC works. Try www.howstuffworks.com. Spend about a month there and then get back to us. And as I and others have already mentioned...don't forget to use the 'search' button in the upper right hand part of the screen (integrated into the black toolbar at the top).

Alex

BKKloppenborg
03-18-2004, 10:29 PM
And you're going to put this on an a20? I think not. Please learn what everything is that you want to 'jack up' your car with (as another one of your noobie brethren put it) before you get too dreamy.... Learn how a turbo and VTEC works. Try www.howstuffworks.com. Spend about a month there and then get back to us. And as I and others have already mentioned...don't forget to use the 'search' button in the upper right hand part of the screen (integrated into the black toolbar at the top).

Alex

Wow you guys really do hate newbies o well i quit anyways i got all the info i needed, thanks to other people who tired to help me and rembered that they used to be in my spot so i have everything i need now bye. :gun:

BensAccordLxi
03-18-2004, 10:32 PM
If you want Vtec, you have to get a Vtec engine. Place Racing is the only place I know of that has a mount kit for a "B" series engine for our cars. You have to get mounts, engine harness, axles, and you may need brackets for power stearing or A/C if you decide to keep them. It would run you about $3K for every thing installed and if you have a shop do the work. You have to get a B16 with cable tranny and the ecu. That's gonna run you $900.00-$1,250.00 depending on if you want a tranny with an LSD. The mount kit, axles, and engine harness is around $1K. Than you want to turbo that. That's another $1K-$3K depending on if you build the b16 or not. If you get an a20a3, you have to get the LX-i fuel lines, LX-i gas tank( I think ), LX-i ecu, and LX-i fuel pump. The you can bolt up a turbo lit to that. There may be more to the carb to efi swap than that.

BKKloppenborg
03-18-2004, 10:35 PM
If you want Vtec, you have to get a Vtec engine. Place Racing is the only place I know of that has a mount kit for a "B" series engine for our cars. You have to get mounts, engine harness, axles, and you may need brackets for power stearing or A/C if you decide to keep them. It would run you about $3K for every thing installed and if you have a shop do the work. You have to get a B16 with cable tranny and the ecu. That's gonna run you $900.00-$1,250.00 depending on if you want a tranny with an LSD. The mount kit, axles, and engine harness is around $1K. Than you want to turbo that. That's another $1K-$3K depending on if you build the b16 or not. If you get an a20a3, you have to get the LX-i fuel lines, LX-i gas tank( I think ), LX-i ecu, and LX-i fuel pump. The you can bolt up a turbo lit to that. There may be more to the carb to efi swap than that.

Great right i my price range ty.

BensAccordLxi
03-18-2004, 10:42 PM
No problem. If I had that kind of cash to spend, I'd probobly get a fast car. My 95 Talon TSi was $5K and come stock with 210hp. I upgraded the Turbo for $575.00 and now I have almost 250hp. You can get a 90-94 Eclipse/Talon turbo all-wheel drive for a few grand and you can get those to run 12's for cheap. That's just my thoughts.

86AccordLxi
03-18-2004, 10:43 PM
But does it have vtec?? I think not :rolleyes:

You're a good person ben, for helping the ignorant, misguided noobies out.

Alex

BKKloppenborg
03-18-2004, 10:45 PM
No problem. If I had that kind of cash to spend, I'd probobly get a fast car. My 95 Talon TSi was $5K and come stock with 210hp. I upgraded the Turbo for $575.00 and now I have almost 250hp. You can get a 90-94 Eclipse/Talon turbo all-wheel drive for a few grand and you can get those to run 12's for cheap. That's just my thoughts.

Ya thats true to, i was thinking about drive my honda to hell and back and wait until it dies or until i see a car i like then jack it up. You have been the most helpful on this whole form i am a beginner so i ask stupid questions ty for help.

BensAccordLxi
03-18-2004, 10:48 PM
lol...who needs Vtec when you got boost....Toda Racing removes the Vtec from it's race engines. If you run really large cams, you don't need the Vtec.

BKKloppenborg
But does it have vtec?? I think not :rolleyes:

You're a good person ben, for helping the ignorant, misguided noobies out.

Alex

Damn i wonder if he is always this mean Mr. Perfect... know it all and all the other junk. I just remembered Vtec engines didn't come out until early 90's. Damn ok ya at least ben is nice.

86AccordLxi
My point wasn't to berate you (well partly) but just to encourage you to do some research so you don't have to ask stupid questions. I'm serious about the www.howstuffworks.com. I looked at it and it helped me. Get informed before you start throwing money at a car or going to a shop and asking for vtec for your carbed LX 3g and they laugh at you.

Alex

BensAccordLxi
03-18-2004, 10:50 PM
BKK, your Accord will out last you lol. :) I raced mine every day on the street and out at the track. i took it to 6,800 RPM's all day and it never had problems. It took a Dodge Ram 1500 to kill my Accord. Got rear ended and it was too much to fix.

BKKloppenborg
03-18-2004, 10:52 PM
My point wasn't to berate you (well partly) but just to encourage you to do some research so you don't have to ask stupid questions. I'm serious about the www.howstuffworks.com. I looked at it and it helped me. Get informed before you start throwing money at a car or going to a shop and asking for vtec for your carbed LX 3g and they laugh at you.

Alex

See ppl hate newbies o well i feel better since i threw something across the room and broke it. *Sigh* damn i have a bad temper Part German, Irish, and Indian. My last school wanted me to take anger managemet classes... Right spend a lot of money on them when i have my own method just throw stuff and break shit that is alot cheaper then paying 50 dollers a hour... :lol:

HondaBoy
03-18-2004, 10:53 PM
um, you know you said header? you mean head, VTEC that is. anyway, big dreams, big money. ok, so you want more power? duh, so do all of the rest of us. being that a 3gee is fairly light weight, what looks like little power is a whole lot. as i've found old integras are somewhat easy to find at the junk yard with engines and transmissions left in them. a B16 from one is cheap and some what easy to build. personally i'd say not to do the VTEC thing. unless you know a lot about what your doing, which you said you dont, i'd keep it simple. although a motor swap isnt the easiest thing! the engines ive been finding are the 1st gen integra engine, early to mid 90s civic 1.5 engines. those sound kinda bad to put in but they have potential considering the parts they make for them. there is the mid 90s D16 with VTEC head. uh, the CR-V B20, those are becoming more available. i'd say nothing over 2.0 litres to start with. you can stroke and boar them out. i think the only big difficulty is dealing with transmission choice. also making custom axles to fit properly. with my 3gee, i will probley build the A20 it has. maybe keep it carburated, maybe switch to FI. i dont plan on using nos or a turbo to prolong the life of the engine. well, you might know the possibilities are endless, buts is all a matter of time and money. i'd check around 3geez and see how some of the other members did a engine swap and or what you can do with the engine you have.

BKKloppenborg
03-18-2004, 10:57 PM
um, you know you said header? you mean head, VTEC that is. anyway, big dreams, big money. ok, so you want more power? duh, so do all of the rest of us. being that a 3gee is fairly light weight, what looks like little power is a whole lot. as i've found old integras are somewhat easy to find at the junk yard with engines and transmissions left in them. a B16 from one is cheap and some what easy to build. personally i'd say not to do the VTEC thing. unless you know a lot about what your doing, which you said you dont, i'd keep it simple. although a motor swap isnt the easiest thing! the engines ive been finding are the 1st gen integra engine, early to mid 90s civic 1.5 engines. those sound kinda bad to put in but they have potential considering the parts they make for them. there is the mid 90s D16 with VTEC head. uh, the CR-V B20, those are becoming more available. i'd say nothing over 2.0 litres to start with. you can stroke and boar them out. i think the only big difficulty is dealing with transmission choice. also making custom axles to fit properly. with my 3gee, i will probley build the A20 it has. maybe keep it carburated, maybe switch to FI. i dont plan on using nos or a turbo to prolong the life of the engine. well, you might know the possibilities are endless, buts is all a matter of time and money. i'd check around 3geez and see how some of the other members did a engine swap and or what you can do with the engine you have.

O well just might get used car again not sure yet.

BensAccordLxi
03-18-2004, 10:58 PM
I wouldn't put the word light and Accord near each other. I don't think 2660lbs is light. I'm pretty sure that's the stock weight of the 3rd Gen hatch. If you want light, get a CRX or Civic hatch.

BensAccordLxi
03-18-2004, 11:00 PM
Late 80's Supra Turbo's are cheap. I just go to autotrader.com and do a used car search for the cars I like with a price range of $1-$5,000 and look at what come up.

BKKloppenborg
03-18-2004, 11:01 PM
I wouldn't put the word light and Accord near each other. I don't think 2660lbs is light. I'm pretty sure that's the stock weight of the 3rd Gen hatch. If you want light, get a CRX or Civic hatch.

Ben i like your car wut are specs? i am think of just selling honda and getting a faster a little newer car.

BensAccordLxi
03-18-2004, 11:10 PM
My car:
1995 Eagle Talon TSi (it's the same thing as a Mitsubishi Eclipse)
2 wheel drive
2.0L 16v DOHC Turbo 210bhp/220ft-lbs of torque
5spd
It's heavy, 2980lbs.
Some of them are AWD.
Stock FWD Talon/Eclipse runs low 15's
AWD runs 14.3 stock
I upgraded to a T28 turbo an it added almost 30 wheel hp.
There are pro's and con's to the DSM (That's what an Eclipse and Talon are called)
The 90-94's came with 195hp stock.

BKKloppenborg
03-18-2004, 11:12 PM
My car:
1995 Eagle Talon TSi (it's the same thing as a Mitsubishi Eclipse)
2 wheel drive
2.0L 16v DOHC Turbo 210bhp/220ft-lbs of torque
5spd
It's heavy, 2980lbs.
Some of them are AWD.
Stock FWD Talon/Eclipse runs low 15's
AWD runs 14.3 stock
I upgraded to a T28 turbo an it added almost 30 wheel hp.
There are pro's and con's to the DSM (That's what an Eclipse and Talon are called)
The 90-94's came with 195hp stock.

That is what i was thinking is to get a newer car with more HP and start off that way, it would be easier and cheaper. I love my Honda Accord though ): It dosn't have to be crazy fast but Hell i dont know decisions decisions decisions :dunno:

BensAccordLxi
03-18-2004, 11:15 PM
Here are some more pics of my Talon.
http://images.cardomain.com/member_images/8/web/536000-536999/536387_2_full.jpg

http://images.cardomain.com/member_images/8/web/536000-536999/536387_3_full.jpg

http://images.cardomain.com/member_images/8/web/536000-536999/536387_1.jpg

BKKloppenborg
03-18-2004, 11:18 PM
Here are some more pics of my Talon.
http://images.cardomain.com/member_images/8/web/536000-536999/536387_2_full.jpg

http://images.cardomain.com/member_images/8/web/536000-536999/536387_3_full.jpg

http://images.cardomain.com/member_images/8/web/536000-536999/536387_1.jpg

damn you live in Tucson AZ? me any my parents are gonna move their if i see a red Talon driving and wants to race i better watch my back....

BensAccordLxi
03-18-2004, 11:18 PM
Well, with the turbo upgrade I got, I can beat GTP Gran Prix's, Porsche Boxster's, and cars like that.

BKKloppenborg
03-18-2004, 11:19 PM
Well, with the turbo upgrade I got, I can beat GTP Gran Prix's, Porsche Boxster's, and cars like that.
Ya i can belive that i better watch my back when i move their and see a car like yours and if i race hope its not you. i would be :owned:

BensAccordLxi
03-18-2004, 11:22 PM
I try not to race 3rd Gens. I have respect for them. I did race one and killed him but that was because he was talkin sh!t. You're moving to Tucson?

BKKloppenborg
03-18-2004, 11:24 PM
I try not to race 3rd Gens. I have respect for them. I did race one and killed him but that was because he was talkin sh!t. You're moving to Tucson?

I will be moving their soon, maybye next few months not sure yet.

1988starter
03-18-2004, 11:26 PM

I believe sean slapped down 225whp with compleatly stock internals with his turbo a20

BensAccordLxi
03-18-2004, 11:27 PM
Cool, there are a few well known shops here and alot of fast cars. I know several people who have turbo charged Hondas. A friend of mine had Tucsons first H22 powered CRX. Thing ran a 14.2 stock.

BKKloppenborg
03-18-2004, 11:27 PM
I believe sean slapped down 225whp with compleatly stock internals with his turbo a20

What does 225 WHP mean?

BensAccordLxi
03-18-2004, 11:32 PM
Ooops. I was wrong. My frind put down 377whp and 247ft-lbs of torque.
http://images.cardomain.com/member_images/8/web/536000-536999/536387_14_full.jpg

There is a video of him spinning tires on the Dyno.

86AccordLxi
03-18-2004, 11:33 PM
225 wheel horsepower. Horsepower ratings from the factory are measured at the crank whereas wheel hp is measuread at the....you guessed right, the wheels. The difference in measurements is this: power from the engine experiences a loss due to having to turn the transmission/the wheels, etc; this is called drivetrain loss. So horsepower measured at the wheels is usually %15-%20 lower than what it would be measured at the crank. So...if you see 225whp you can add between %15-%20 and find out how much power is making at the crank.

Alex

BensAccordLxi
03-18-2004, 11:33 PM
he beat me to it.

BKKloppenborg
03-18-2004, 11:34 PM
Ooops. I was wrong. My frind put down 377whp and 247ft-lbs of torque.
http://images.cardomain.com/member_images/8/web/536000-536999/536387_14_full.jpg

There is a video of him spinning tires on the Dyno.

Damn thats fast....

BKKloppenborg
03-18-2004, 11:36 PM
225 wheel horsepower. Horsepower ratings from the factory are measured at the crank whereas wheel hp is measuread at the....you guessed right, the wheels. The difference in measurements is this: power from the engine experiences a loss due to having to turn the transmission/the wheels, etc; this is called drivetrain loss. So horsepower measured at the wheels is usually %15-%20 lower than what it would be measured at the crank. So...if you see 225whp you can add between %15-%20 and find out how much power is making at the crank.

Alex

LOL i thought you didn't like newbies... i read how a tubro works interesting...

Thats for translation guys..

86AccordLxi
03-18-2004, 11:39 PM
I don't like newbies who ask the same questions over and over again and who say they're going to do x, y, and z with their car because they read about it somewhere. When you ask a question that is legitimate and not 'dreamy,' then that is definitely worthy of an answer.

Alex

BKKloppenborg
03-18-2004, 11:41 PM
I don't like newbies who ask the same questions over and over again and who say they're going to do x, y, and z with their car because they read about it somewhere. When you ask a question that is legitimate and not 'dreamy,' then that is definitely worthy of an answer.

Alex

I am gonna start to look at the site you gave me more. Its interesting i read about a tubro already and enjoyed it ty for web site. :cheers:

BensAccordLxi
03-18-2004, 11:42 PM
My Talon with the T28 and cone filter put down 206whp and 229ft-lbs of torque. i don't have the dyno graph of my Talon on the computer yet. I'll post it soon.

BKKloppenborg
03-18-2004, 11:45 PM
My Talon with the T28 and cone filter put down 206whp and 229ft-lbs of torque. i don't have the dyno graph of my Talon on the computer yet. I'll post it soon.

Their is no way i can get that from a new Honda Engine, to put in older Honda not with every upgrade i was planning for a decent price.

86AccordLxi
03-18-2004, 11:46 PM
I am gonna start to look at the site you gave me more. Its interesting i read about a tubro already and enjoyed it ty for web site. :cheers:

Well, guys...I think we saved one. No prob on the website.

Alex

BKKloppenborg
03-18-2004, 11:48 PM
Well, guys...I think we saved one. No prob on the website.

Alex

well i g2g its been good. i better go to bed before parents wake up at 4:00.

thanks for everything guys.

BensAccordLxi
03-18-2004, 11:49 PM
Those stats are on 11psi(how boost is mesured on turbos) and the only upgrade I had was a cone filter and the T28. I am now running 14psi.

BensAccordLxi
03-18-2004, 11:50 PM
Talk to you later man.

BKKloppenborg
03-18-2004, 11:51 PM
Those stats are on 11psi(how boost is mesured on turbos) and the only upgrade I had was a cone filter and the T28. I am now running 14psi.

Nice well i think i will keep honda until i save up enough money for a faster car it is not worth it to try to make it that fast 2 much money more then 10G to get above 200 HP.

Elijah
03-19-2004, 12:50 AM
Where do you get 10g for over 200hp.Did you not see the post sean had 225 to the wheels with stock internals.Oh his car was carb to he did a efi swap.I would say around 2-3g and you have well over 200hp.I have already bought a turbo setup from sean.If you r serius talk to sean.Go check out www.accordcentral.com

Elijah
03-19-2004, 12:52 AM
I'am sure he will come on this thread and clear some things up for u.He is a mod for performance.Oh 10g would get you a 10-11second monster with atleast 400whp.And I think it would be pretty reliable to.Can we say sleeper

BKKloppenborg
03-19-2004, 09:16 AM
I'am sure he will come on this thread and clear some things up for u.He is a mod for performance.Oh 10g would get you a 10-11second monster with atleast 400whp.And I think it would be pretty reliable to.Can we say sleeper

That alot and i wouldn't get :owned: as much, that would be fun to race a car that think i can beat me then show him what i have under the hood. :rofl: Mayabye i will keep my honda and do it that way o well i am one confused teen.

Elijah
03-19-2004, 03:21 PM
Nobody would own you.How many 10 or 11 second street cars have you seen my guess is none.

BKKloppenborg
03-20-2004, 10:11 AM
Nobody would own you.How many 10 or 11 second street cars have you seen my guess is none.

Yup and i like that i know wait to build now and am starting now...

BKKloppenborg
03-21-2004, 12:44 PM
Yup and i like that i know wait to build now and am starting now...

This is my Longest Post (:

4sillypwr
03-22-2004, 09:48 AM
Sean also put down the 225 on a mustang dyno. I say the sheets last night. That 377 hp was on a dynojet wich gives much bigger numbers. Put seans motor on a dyno jet and I bet it makes 377 at least with even more TQ. I can't wait to go over there in a couple weeks and throw the engine in with the bigger turbo and *supposedly* better clutch.

-David

SteveDX89
03-22-2004, 10:31 AM
Here's the great turbo and N/A debate. VTEC or not. Power to weight. All that stuff. Turbo charging is the best bang for the buck. However, you have to convert to EFI first. Then you're thinking B16. If you've read posts from OldSchoolSwap, he took a stock B16 to mid 15's. I believe he added a 50-75 shot and runs 13's (check up on that, it's been a while since I read that.) Remember, B-series has tons of aftermarket support. You can build one and turbo it and get over 600 whp. You can get close 200 whp on a non-turbo setup with a B16. B16 will cost more in the long run but gives you more options as far as tuning. As far as weight, LX-i weigh over 2600 lbs. The others are less. This choice is a matter of preference. What do you want now and what do you want in the future?

BKKloppenborg
03-22-2004, 11:57 AM
Here's the great turbo and N/A debate. VTEC or not. Power to weight. All that stuff. Turbo charging is the best bang for the buck. However, you have to convert to EFI first. Then you're thinking B16. If you've read posts from OldSchoolSwap, he took a stock B16 to mid 15's. I believe he added a 50-75 shot and runs 13's (check up on that, it's been a while since I read that.) Remember, B-series has tons of aftermarket support. You can build one and turbo it and get over 600 whp. You can get close 200 whp on a non-turbo setup with a B16. B16 will cost more in the long run but gives you more options as far as tuning. As far as weight, LX-i weigh over 2600 lbs. The others are less. This choice is a matter of preference. What do you want now and what do you want in the future?

I think im just gonna keep old engine, and do what sean did. I can't really afford a new engine right now so i want to make my accord quick.