PDA

View Full Version : What do you fill the holes with after removing the emblem?

lonesouldier
03-19-2004, 08:48 AM
What do you fill the holes with after removing the emblem? I didn't find any instructions specific on this. (If there is I must be blind). This is probably common knowledge, but I have no idea whatsoever. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Much thanks.

Zedrick

paynt3r
03-19-2004, 09:00 AM
If you are talking about filling the holes left behind in the hood and trunk lid when removing the stock emblems, there are a couple of ways to do it. You could just slap some bondo in them, but it will only take a year or two befor it falls out. I welded mine up, finnished up the bodywork on the car and painted custom embelms in the place of the old ones. The third way, I would never do, but I have seen it done, is to stick a bolt through the hole with a little silicone. Why anyone would do that is beyond me! :dunno:

lonesouldier
03-19-2004, 09:12 AM
How do you weld it up? Is this something I can do myself, or do I have to get it professionally done?

Zedrick

Nate2310
03-19-2004, 09:16 AM
You just do a basic spot weld

paynt3r
03-19-2004, 09:30 AM
That depends, do you have a wire feed welder? I would guess you don't due to your question, and I would suggest haing it professionally done. And in what kind of condition is your car? Is there other body work that needs to be done? Because you will have to sand the area around where you are going to weld down to bare metal. Also, the area around where the welding will be taking place will get hot enough to blister the paint off in about a 3" radius. If your car is in "Good" condition, and you don't plan on doing any paintwork, then I would say to just run down to your local vinyl graphics place and have them cut you out some custom graphics that will cover the holes, and forget about filling them.

T-Funk
03-19-2004, 10:28 AM
k i know the "H" on the hood and trunk has pegs to keep it on, but how are the "honda" or "lx" words on the back held on? same peg type things or just stuck on like newer cars?

ivanfbi
03-19-2004, 10:40 AM
they are just glued on, you just need to take it off(don't use a knife)and then you will need to take the glue off with any alcohol thing

MrBen
03-19-2004, 11:03 AM
There are other products that last just as long as spot welding, yet have the same application qualities as bondo. Metal body fillers, polyester/fiberglass fillers, regular body filler.. etc. http://www.parasolinc.com/Product/View.asp?pId=1

AZmike
03-19-2004, 12:26 PM
they are just glued on, you just need to take it off(don't use a knife)and then you will need to take the glue off with any alcohol thing

Both the 'Honda' and 'Accord' emblems have two pins each on my car. Only the 'LXi' emblem was just glued on.

lonesouldier
03-19-2004, 12:47 PM
Yeah, I don't have a welder. The only other "body work" I plan to do is to remove the side mouldings. And I plan on painting later. So I'll be probably have to do something permanent to such as the welding-work suggested.

The idea for using those fillers (http://www.parasolinc.com/Product/View.asp?pId=1) looks promising, but will it hold when I paint later?

Zedrick

pimp86LX
03-19-2004, 01:02 PM
short-strand fiber glass resin.

-sand all around down to metal
-apply fiber resin
-sand 180gt
-sand 300gt
-base primer
-sand 300gt
-base coat
-sand 300gt or finer
-2nd coat
-very fine sanding
-final coat
-clear coat

the # of coats and sanding may very from person to person but if your like me it doesn't matter toooooo much. then again my car's paint job sucked to begin with.

MrBen
03-19-2004, 01:40 PM
To be honest, I use bondo. In the places I sanded the rust down to bare metal, it is holding and I haven't had any problems. However, in the two spots I skimped on and spray rust killer on, the bondo is coming off. Summer project.

Just do it right with bondo. By this I mean sanding the hell out of the area you apply it to, to bare metal. Do not leave the metal bare for very long as rust can form on the surface just by air. Make sure the surface is clean of any oils. Primer it. Apply bondo in thin layers, sanding in between layers. Use a tack cloth to get rid of the dust after the final sanding (for the final sanding use the finest grit sandpaper you can find). Primer it. Paint it. Clear coat it. Do NOT leave the surface bare with primer or paint on it without the clearcoat. Water can soak in and thus separate the bondo from the surface.

lonesouldier
03-19-2004, 02:31 PM
Much mahalos (thanks), folks. I'll start on this right away.

Zedrick

Andrew
03-19-2004, 09:20 PM
If you don't have a welder you can always rent one. Try Hertz Rentals.
The only problem with renting a welder is that it is not cheap, as well as renting the machine you will have to buy tips wire and gas. My guess is that it will cost you about a hundred dollars by the time the dust clears.

RE: Bondo-if you prep the area correctly it shouldn't come off, I've also heard of people using JB Weld although I've never tried it myself. Read Ghetto's post, it preety much says it all.

HondaBoy
03-19-2004, 10:54 PM
id say use an arc welder. im good with those. and the idea of fiberglassing it is good too. bondo is not good for going over holes. even if you've painted it it will go in a bit sometimes. i say if you can go to a body shop and have it done right. i thought of putting a Mugen emblem over the holes where the H or HONDA emblem was.

A20A1
03-20-2004, 04:23 AM
I have a welder... :D

lonesouldier
03-20-2004, 12:50 PM
I couldn't even begin to know how to use a welder, bro. Is it easy?

paynt3r
03-22-2004, 07:15 AM
If you want it welded, I would say find someone who knows how to, or find some scrap to practice on. You run the risk of not having your weld hold, or blowing a bigger hole in your hood than what you started with. I would say, that if you decide to bondo the hole, you need to find some way to back it.

lonesouldier
03-23-2004, 01:27 AM
I don't think that I can back it. The hole's not reachable from inside the trunk

Zedrick

FoX
03-23-2004, 04:00 PM
I took the two center holes and added 12 volt led's and hooked the the the third brake light. now they light up red with the brakes being applied.