PDA

View Full Version : Bastard AMP!!!!

$mokenB'$
03-19-2004, 01:53 PM
I have a 200Watt Jenson Amp that says its bridgeable but when i bridge it the pertection light comes on and the subs cut out!!!!!!!! :mad: wtf !!!!!!! either its just a shitty amp or im stupid or somthing. is there a way i can bypass the pertection thingy or am i just shit out of luck and have to get a new BETTER one???? btw i bought the system for $50, 2 10s and 200watt amp in a box. Its noting special i really want to replace the whole thing but i was thinking a new amp might be the answer, cuz it bumps before the light comes on. :dunno:

goldyaccord
03-19-2004, 02:08 PM
well.. how many channels is the amp and the stable ohm? You need to explain how you have it all wired up.

MrBen
03-19-2004, 02:21 PM
You probably hooked it up wrong.

What ohms is the amp stable at and what ohms are the subs stable at together?

Is the ground wire the same guage as the power? Is it a solid ground?

What guage speaker wire?

DanLXI88
03-19-2004, 02:28 PM
Yeah on the Jenson's it most likely means 2ohm stereo. If you have to bridge it to get the power you need you should just buy a bigger amp man. Also when you bridge and amp you change the amount of current it draws so you may need to beef up you wires. And also make sure you use the right + and - in bridge mode. Good luck man.

dXsquared
03-19-2004, 04:21 PM
you can bridge it to 4 ohms.. 2 10's for 50 bucks are prolly just 4 ohm subs.. just run it stereo.. its only 50 watts RMS to each sub and its not gonna be loud at all... you need another one.. bridge each amp to each sub and it will bump pretty good

Travis

Moodybluesr
03-20-2004, 04:26 AM
Actually if you wire the subs in series (for an 8 ohm load) and run that to the bridged channels, you will get more power than running the subs in stereo (one to each channel). You are probably running the subs bridged in parallel (for a 2 ohm load) which that amp would not be able to handle.

dXsquared
03-20-2004, 08:57 AM
actually your SOOO WRONG.... at an 8 ohm load.. that amp will push like 75 watts RMS X 1.. OR 50X2... you figure it out... i dont know how you think it would push more at 8 ohms bridged than 4 ohm stereo

Travis

Moodybluesr
03-20-2004, 02:02 PM
Wattage output on a class AB amp in a bridged vs. stereo state is not linear as you seem to think... the actual output of the amp in stereo with two 4 ohm loads would be roughly equivalent to the output into a bridged load of ~12-14 ohms depending on the amp; this has alot to do with amplifier efficiency and whatnot which I am not going to get into here because nobody here would probably understand it. Therefor, output will be higher bridged into an 8 ohm load than it would be stereo into two 4 ohm loads as I already stated above.

Try it for yourself if you don't believe me... but don't tell somebody they are wrong when you don't have the facts to back yourself up...

Dennis
03-20-2004, 02:45 PM
Both of my Jensen amps used to do that. I had a 250watt jensen and a 300watt jensen. When I turned it up to loud it would cut out. I used a bigger ground and it worked fine. Use a 4gauge ground and power wire and tell me if that works.

TJ89Accord
03-20-2004, 06:13 PM
Jenson sucks, just get a better amp :).

tim

PortugalFocus
03-20-2004, 06:24 PM
Jenson sucks, just get a better amp :).

tim

:werd:

what he said

dXsquared
03-20-2004, 06:32 PM
you cant speak too loud Portugal, your running Legacy and Pyramid!! haha

Travis

PortugalFocus
03-20-2004, 06:57 PM
Yes I do and they are great quality products.

DanLXI88
03-20-2004, 09:19 PM
Wattage output on a class AB amp in a bridged vs. stereo state is not linear as you seem to think... the actual output of the amp in stereo with two 4 ohm loads would be roughly equivalent to the output into a bridged load of ~12-14 ohms depending on the amp; this has alot to do with amplifier efficiency and whatnot which I am not going to get into here because nobody here would probably understand it. Therefor, output will be higher bridged into an 8 ohm load than it would be stereo into two 4 ohm loads as I already stated above.

Try it for yourself if you don't believe me... but don't tell somebody they are wrong when you don't have the facts to back yourself up...

I'm sure some of us would understand.. :cool2: . But keep in mind the more ohms you add the more power you'll need. So you bridging the amp would give you more power BUT bringing up the ohms will require more power. If you took 2 (8) ohms and hooked them Mono you would do best that the amp could (4 ohm mono) :cheers: .

dXsquared
03-20-2004, 09:29 PM
i know for a fact, a small amp in a small car stereo system will sound better and louder with 4 ohm stereo over 8 ohm mono.. maybe with a 14 volt competition system it might be different, but in the real car audio world, 4 ohm stereo is better

Travis

Moodybluesr
03-21-2004, 03:33 AM
If you took 2 (8) ohms and hooked them Mono you would do best that the amp could (4 ohm mono) :cheers: .

True... but that would require buying different subs. I was trying to offer the most efficient way to wire up the amp/subs combo he already has so as to avoid spending more money. :)

$mokenB'$
03-26-2004, 01:19 PM
haha i forgot about this thread.... ok im confused but i have a 10guage positive and a 4 guage neg.(all they had at best buy and i needed it really bad) i dont really understand wtf u guys are arguing over but i think i just need to replace it.

DanLXI88
03-26-2004, 01:46 PM
haha i forgot about this thread.... ok im confused but i have a 10guage positive and a 4 guage neg.(all they had at best buy and i needed it really bad) i dont really understand wtf u guys are arguing over but i think i just need to replace it.

Most likely you’re trying to push your $50.00 system beyond its means. If you don't understand anything of what was said above I would suggest not bridging the amp and bang with what you got. If it's not loud enough for you pay a shop to correctly install a louder system. You have to take ohm's law & voltage into consideration when bridging an amp if you don't know about these things get a book or look it up on the NET. If you bypass the protection circuit of your amp you'll end up blowing it. I really couldn't fault the power wire for this I think your expecting too much from your system and it's clipping. :cheers:

AccordEpicenter
03-26-2004, 03:27 PM
whoa whoa whoa... make sure youre ground cable is bolted to the rear shock tower nut... thats an excellent ground. Using shitty grounds can make amps go into protection when playing. I havnt seen too many amps where using a smaller than reccomended load results in the amp going into protection unless it goes thermal and gets very hot, does it do that? Also please tell me you set your gains at a resonable level instead of maximum... ditto for bass boost.

Pyramid/Legacy/Pyle/Boss/Jensen/Urban = shit

You get what you pay for people.

sccrsteve5
03-26-2004, 04:15 PM
^ exactly...get a new amp. but for now wire both ur subs in parallel to run it 2 ohm stereo for now...set the gains down and bass boost and u'll be good to go.