PDA

View Full Version : I have a question.

BKKloppenborg
03-19-2004, 10:16 PM
With my 89 Honda Accord LX i was wondering some things one. With new K&M Filter, Cold Air Intake, Mufflers, new sparks, wires, cap, rotaer and ignition. How much HP will i get about a guess is fine. What brand of Mufflers are better? Flowmaster, Magnaflow or other brands. no one would put a turbo on a 98 HP 2.0 L engine right? when my engine dies i am gonna get a B16 so i would wait until then to get the turbo right? Last questions how much HP would i get out of a turbo with a 98 HP engine or with a B16 160HP one? What is a good ignition for racing? Thanks, Brian

Elijah
03-19-2004, 10:21 PM
I'am trying to be patiant with you.But please stop makeing new threads with the same ?'s.You should gain anywhere from 10-15 hp if ur lucky.And I would suggest to never think about a b16.And how much hp do u want to gain?The sky is the limit it doesnt matter how many hp you start with.And yes there r alot of people that would turbo the a20.Me for one have 1 turbo a20 and will have 2 soon.Please take a couple days of reading and searching.You will be happy after.

Elijah
03-19-2004, 10:39 PM
Oh there's a saying I like to quote hp sell's cars and touqe wins races.The b16 comes with 160hp and 111foot pounds of tourqe.If u do a b series swap do ur self a favor and make it a b18.Try a b18ls vtec turbo.Other then that I would say stick with the a20 it takes really well to boost.Personaly I would stick with the a20

A20A1
03-19-2004, 11:02 PM
Elijah, I can see you pulling out yer hair everytime you read his posts... lol.

BKKLoppenborg, you need to be a little more... well, serious with your posts. HP gain of "this and that" product is nothing... tuning the parts and making them work together is the only way to get good numbers. You should first figure out what motor you are going to use... if you're not sure run a search... since there are a few member already with the B16 and plenty of info on the swap... and there is more then enough info on the A20. So yeah just choose one engine... pick the direction you want to go... Turbo, or Naturally aspirated. You need a plan for us to point you in the right direction, not a whole bunch of questions regarding how much hp... we're not a 24 hour dyno genie.
As you can see with Elijah... we want to help you... but you sorta need to help us... and yourself too.

Elijah
03-20-2004, 12:29 AM
We are here to help.You just have to let use know what you want to do.There are many options.Do some research and lots of reading.Trust me we all never always had the knowlege we have now.It just takes some time on reading.

Elijah
03-20-2004, 12:30 AM
A20A1 u know it's not easy.I'am sure you have read his threads.Some drive you nuts lol.

BKKloppenborg
03-20-2004, 09:30 AM
Elijah, I can see you pulling out yer hair everytime you read his posts... lol.

BKKLoppenborg, you need to be a little more... well, serious with your posts. HP gain of "this and that" product is nothing... tuning the parts and making them work together is the only way to get good numbers. You should first figure out what motor you are going to use... if you're not sure run a search... since there are a few member already with the B16 and plenty of info on the swap... and there is more then enough info on the A20. So yeah just choose one engine... pick the direction you want to go... Turbo, or Naturally aspirated. You need a plan for us to point you in the right direction, not a whole bunch of questions regarding how much hp... we're not a 24 hour dyno genie.
As you can see with Elijah... we want to help you... but you sorta need to help us... and yourself too.

damit i know when my engine blows i will get the 160 HP one, with the turbo. But until then i am just gonna have to stick with my present engine adn just do all mods i want except the engine and turbo, so i pretty much know what i wanta do i dont know how much more power i can get with all mods except engine and turbo and then when i get those then what will i have. From all those boxes thats what i am going on right now for example flowmasters or magnaflow add 10-15 more horsepower to your engine or cold air intakes add 15-20 more horsepower to your engine and etc. I am just gonna trust my uncle who jacked up and rebuilt cars because he know how to do it, and Actually wants to Answer my questions and doesn't avoid them because i am a "newbie". So i am never gonna post again just to make your guys happy. :lock:

pimp86LX
03-20-2004, 09:47 AM
Never posting again is fine. Like the previous posts have stated, we are all here to help eachother out. A20A1 is 100% right when he speaks of how all your 'bolt-on' mods must work together. the actual term is 'synergy' where as the result is greater than sum of the parts. A number of bolt on mods will of course make your engine work better, but a real performing engine will need to be properly tuned from top-to-botton.

However from your breif replies it appears your not open minded or willing to listen to any of these experienced and knowledgable people.

BKKloppenborg
03-20-2004, 10:05 AM
Never posting again is fine. Like the previous posts have stated, we are all here to help eachother out. A20A1 is 100% right when he speaks of how all your 'bolt-on' mods must work together. the actual term is 'synergy' where as the result is greater than sum of the parts. A number of bolt on mods will of course make your engine work better, but a real performing engine will need to be properly tuned from top-to-botton.

However from your breif replies it appears your not open minded or willing to listen to any of these experienced and knowledgable people.
:bs: :bs: :bs: :bs: :bs: :bs:
I love to learn especally if i dont know anything about it like cars i dont know jack shit about them compared to most. Because of this site i learned that i will have to but a b16 engine in my car to make it faster and i should put a turbo on that. I would like to thank the people who acually hepled me like BensAccordLxi , Sean, and some other people. They have acually showed me more about cars and people like you just forget you were once i the same position as me, Until other people taught you about cars. Dam now you got me all pissed off, and i have a baddd temper i have goten i fights, and broke a cell phone, computer, cd player, and a whole shit load of stuff because people are dumb and piss me off because they think they are perfect. Damn thats alot i wrote all those 10 page papers at school must have helped me write more. Anyways damn some ppl on this form are Assholes, but all the other ones are nice. I love to learn and i hope you remember that you were once in my postion so with that i quit posting and learn by my friend who will help me build the damn thing. :burn: :burn: :burn: :burn:

pimp86LX
03-20-2004, 10:16 AM
Of couse i remember that i was once in your position. Everyone has to start from somewere. Of course no one is perfect, but there is a big difference between you and I. I am more willing to listen to other people rather than 'get pissed' off. Mabe I have a good point to make? mabe I don't, however it seems you are too quick to judge simply because you have heard something unplesant. Im not trying to say you dont know anything, or that your friends dont, rather just give those that you disagree with a chance.

Mabe you didn't break all that neat stuff because people piss you off. Mabe its because you are too rash when dealing with other people.

EDIT: I've been reading some of your other posts and i see your taking some slack from everyone, so I can understand where you are coming from...sort of.

BKKloppenborg
03-20-2004, 10:23 AM
Of couse i remember that i was once in your position. Everyone has to start from somewere. Of course no one is perfect, but there is a big difference between you and I. I am more willing to listen to other people rather than 'get pissed' off. Mabe I have a good point to make? mabe I don't, however it seems you are too quick to judge simply because you have heard something unplesant. Im not trying to say you dont know anything, or that your friends dont, rather just give those that you disagree with a chance.

Mabe you didn't break all that neat stuff because people piss you off. Mabe its because you are too rash when dealing with other people.

I am welling to listen to peple why do you think i learned about what new engine to put in my car, etc? Do yo think i got it from no where? I am soaking up all the info on cars i can. and I hate this site now just now someother asshole replay to one of my forms and said some stupid stuff and he also pissed me off and thought i was only 13-14 years old and wasn't even smart enough to check my profile. He also called me a moran, and said i have picked up a car magazine. damn i love this form. :bs:

KoNEY
03-20-2004, 12:15 PM
well, then listen, just simply build up the A20, there's a thread around here somewhere with a link to a vid of an A20-powered prelude with dual carbs (not turbo, or CAI, or anything) and its runnin 11's and if u watch the video, there's a shot from inside the car, and that thing is hella fast.....so just build smarter, not harder

BKKloppenborg
03-20-2004, 12:18 PM
well, then listen, just simply build up the A20, there's a thread around here somewhere with a link to a vid of an A20-powered prelude with dual carbs (not turbo, or CAI, or anything) and its runnin 11's and if u watch the video, there's a shot from inside the car, and that thing is hella fast.....so just build smarter, not harder

So do that until engine blows up then do bigger one? Because i have about 100,000 miles left until org blows up maybe. or should i always just keep that engine in car even if it dies?

Dennis
03-20-2004, 12:36 PM
Just a friendly reminder... :cool2:

It's better to get pissed off then to get pissed on.
:kekeke:

Cheeseburger
03-20-2004, 12:40 PM
just a quick question, dont get mad but why do you keep on saying that your engine ig going to blow. and a 100,000 is alot of miles.. i havent read any of your other post but how many mailes do you have on your car. o ya and where is La Mesa at is it close to la?

BKKloppenborg
03-20-2004, 12:57 PM
Just a friendly reminder... :cool2:

It's better to get pissed off then to get pissed on.
:kekeke:

LOL thats true.

just a quick question, dont get mad but why do you keep on saying that your engine ig going to blow. and a 100,000 is alot of miles.. i havent read any of your other post but how many mailes do you have on your car. o ya and where is La Mesa at is it close to la?

No its not even close, its in San Diego um kinda near El Cajon...

A20A1
03-20-2004, 12:58 PM
damit i know when my engine blows i will get the 160 HP one, with the turbo. But until then i am just gonna have to stick with my present engine adn just do all mods i want except the engine and turbo, so i pretty much know what i wanta do i dont know how much more power i can get with all mods except engine and turbo and then when i get those then what will i have. From all those boxes thats what i am going on right now for example flowmasters or magnaflow add 10-15 more horsepower to your engine or cold air intakes add 15-20 more horsepower to your engine and etc. I am just gonna trust my uncle who jacked up and rebuilt cars because he know how to do it, and Actually wants to Answer my questions and doesn't avoid them because i am a "newbie". So i am never gonna post again just to make your guys happy. :lock:

I never avoided your question... mods will not put out the advertised HP numbers the instant you bolt them on, so giving you numbers is useless.

Why wait for your motor to blow... get the B16 and mounts from place racing... buy an engine stand and get to work building the motor... then once your A20 dies or you get tired of it, slap in the B16, turboed or otherwise.

BKKloppenborg
03-20-2004, 01:01 PM
I never avoided your question... mods will not put out the advertised HP numbers the instant you bolt them on, so giving you numbers is useless.

Why wait for your motor to blow... get the B16 and mounts from place racing... buy an engine stand and get to work building the motor... then once your A20 dies or you get tired of it, slap in the B16, turboed or otherwise.

Ya thats a possible two of corse it depends how much money i save up. One last question work on the biggest stuff first like engine and turbo or the little stuff first?

A20A1
03-20-2004, 01:24 PM
Depends what you mean by little stuff...

You can always buy mods that will work with both motors... like an intake (be careful of the filter, some filters don't hold up well with a turbo), at the moment you are carbed... so you'd need to adapt an intake to the stock carb.

Exhaust upgrades would be hard... unless you settle with a 2.5" but usually what works well on Naturally aspirated motors will be more restrictive with a turbo. And what works well with turbo could hurt the flow on N/A motors.

Universal Ignition wires are a good investment, buy a set ment for a V8 motor so you could use one set of 4 for the A20 and if you decide to turbo the A20 then you could use the second set for that.

I'd settle on an Apexi N1 turbo for a muffler... they are pricey... but I've installed those on turboed cars and they sound nice. And I know what it sounds like on an A20, cause one of the members here has one. If you want to quiet the exhaust down you might consider adding a second inline muffler/resonator.

BKKloppenborg
03-20-2004, 01:50 PM
Depends what you mean by little stuff...

You can always buy mods that will work with both motors... like an intake (be careful of the filter, some filters don't hold up well with a turbo), at the moment you are carbed... so you'd need to adapt an intake to the stock carb.

Exhaust upgrades would be hard... unless you settle with a 2.5" but usually what works well on Naturally aspirated motors will be more restrictive with a turbo. And what works well with turbo could hurt the flow on N/A motors.

Universal Ignition wires are a good investment, buy a set ment for a V8 motor so you could use one set of 4 for the A20 and if you decide to turbo the A20 then you could use the second set for that.

I'd settle on an Apexi N1 turbo for a muffler... they are pricey... but I've installed those on turboed cars and they sound nice. And I know what it sounds like on an A20, cause one of the members here has one. If you want to quiet the exhaust down you might consider adding a second inline muffler/resonator.

K ty for info, i so you would just keep the A20 and just upgrade it alot insteed of getting a B16, so save up money and do sean upgrades right? :cool:

Dennis
03-20-2004, 02:34 PM
Ya thats a possible two of corse it depends how much money i save up.
:argue:
when will the madness end? :rant2: I remember in one of many posts you said you had 8 or 9 grand you were wanting to spend on your accord. now you're saying it depends on how much money you save up. :bs: what the hell is wrong with you dude? :dunno:

:burn:

sorry but you've got to understand... :kekeke:

BKKloppenborg
03-20-2004, 03:58 PM
:argue:
when will the madness end? :rant2: I remember in one of many posts you said you had 8 or 9 grand you were wanting to spend on your accord. now you're saying it depends on how much money you save up. :bs: what the hell is wrong with you dude? :dunno:

:burn:

sorry but you've got to understand... :kekeke:

I am gonna save up about 8-9 grand it just depends if i can work my ass of at summer and earn that much money and still have some money left for collage.

Dennis
03-20-2004, 04:16 PM
Um... it's spelled college. :idea: And college is going to cost you more than 8 or 9 grand.

Elijah
03-20-2004, 04:18 PM
K ty for info, i so you would just keep the A20 and just upgrade it alot insteed of getting a B16, so save up money and do sean upgrades right? :cool:

I dont know if you where talking about me in some of ur previous posts.But I was trying to be nice and answer some of ur ?'s.And if ur so worried about the a20 blowing up then rebuild it with all upgraded parts.Diamond pistons ect.The a20 is a much stronger motor then the b16 and it has some tourqe.It has more tourqe then the b16 stock for stock.And remember hp sell's cars and tourqe wins races!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

BKKloppenborg
03-20-2004, 04:53 PM
I dont know if you where talking about me in some of ur previous posts.But I was trying to be nice and answer some of ur ?'s.And if ur so worried about the a20 blowing up then rebuild it with all upgraded parts.Diamond pistons ect.The a20 is a much stronger motor then the b16 and it has some tourqe.It has more tourqe then the b16 stock for stock.And remember hp sell's cars and tourqe wins races!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

k thanks for help i will keep the a20 engine and just mod it.

speedpenguin
03-21-2004, 12:05 PM
silly goose, it's spelled torque...

k thanks for help i will keep the a20 engine and just mod it.

awesome!
after extensive use of the search feature (you might have heard about this) over the past fall, i too have decided to turbo my A20. here are some reasons perhaps not posted in your threads.

1. It's stronger.
the B16 has an aluminum block, the A20 has a cast-iron block, which do you think will last longer? this means that...
2. It's cheaper.
this is because it already fits in your car, no custom mounts required. also, you do not have to sleeve it, cuz it's cast iron. plus, if your old A20 dies before you rebuild it, you can still pull one off a junkyard car for less than $200. as opposed to what you will have to pay for a B16 (upwards of $1000).

since this is my only car, and i have to get to work, i'm just rebuilding a separate A20 with turbo anyway. that way i can work on it in my spare time, and when it's done i only have to pull one out and put the other one in. (plus i can abuse the old one cuz it's coming out of the car anyway)
just in case you feel bad about your decision. there's some reasons not to. the other one is the excessive power you can get from that engine. you'd be surprised at the stats of some of these cars. (drools)

BKKloppenborg
03-21-2004, 12:40 PM
silly goose, it's spelled torque...

awesome!
after extensive use of the search feature (you might have heard about this) over the past fall, i too have decided to turbo my A20. here are some reasons perhaps not posted in your threads.

1. It's stronger.
the B16 has an aluminum block, the A20 has a cast-iron block, which do you think will last longer? this means that...
2. It's cheaper.
this is because it already fits in your car, no custom mounts required. also, you do not have to sleeve it, cuz it's cast iron. plus, if your old A20 dies before you rebuild it, you can still pull one off a junkyard car for less than $200. as opposed to what you will have to pay for a B16 (upwards of $1000).

since this is my only car, and i have to get to work, i'm just rebuilding a separate A20 with turbo anyway. that way i can work on it in my spare time, and when it's done i only have to pull one out and put the other one in. (plus i can abuse the old one cuz it's coming out of the car anyway)
just in case you feel bad about your decision. there's some reasons not to. the other one is the excessive power you can get from that engine. you'd be surprised at the stats of some of these cars. (drools)

What are your mods or what mods you gonna put on it?

speedpenguin
03-22-2004, 03:43 PM
i'm building a street-legal road racing setup, so...
right now it's completely stock. money and time is the main issue.
in spring when it gets warmer the upgrades will start. here is my plan...
remove the AC and power steering. i have a DX, so i'm putting in the rear anti-sway bar from an LX-i or SE-i
and an SE-i brake conversion (swapping to rear discs)
dropping it, adding a camber kit, bigger wheels, strut bars, etc.
going to build the AEM CAI from the how-to section.
the hardest part will be converting from carb to PGM-FI, but after that's done i will swap the new engine it, which will be turboed and feature a new crank, new pistons, new valves, new rings, etc...
of course there will be a new exhaust and manifold.
that's what i have in mind for now, anyway.

BKKloppenborg
03-22-2004, 04:24 PM
i'm building a street-legal road racing setup, so...
right now it's completely stock. money and time is the main issue.
in spring when it gets warmer the upgrades will start. here is my plan...
remove the AC and power steering. i have a DX, so i'm putting in the rear anti-sway bar from an LX-i or SE-i
and an SE-i brake conversion (swapping to rear discs)
dropping it, adding a camber kit, bigger wheels, strut bars, etc.
going to build the AEM CAI from the how-to section.
the hardest part will be converting from carb to PGM-FI, but after that's done i will swap the new engine it, which will be turboed and feature a new crank, new pistons, new valves, new rings, etc...
of course there will be a new exhaust and manifold.
that's what i have in mind for now, anyway.

cool well gl.

BensAccordLxi
03-22-2004, 05:15 PM
BKKloppenborg, Please get this one thing right for my sake. I have no problem with your posts but if I see K&M instead of K&N again I'm gonna screem. K&N is the filter you are talking about, not K&M.

BKKloppenborg
03-22-2004, 05:21 PM
BKKloppenborg, Please get this one thing right for my sake. I have no problem with your posts but if I see K&M instead of K&N again I'm gonna screem. K&N is the filter you are talking about, not K&M.

Damn i did it again i have no idea why i put K&M filter when i know its K&N filter wtf :wtf: is wrong with me? :help: Sorry about that, i knew that though i even went to go look at them at autozone. :werd: