PDA

View Full Version : Oil Light

PsychoPaul
03-20-2004, 07:19 AM
Sorry if in wrong place...

I was bored last night so i went for a drive. Did some highway driving and went "fast". The engine was warm/hot. temp gauge was good. When i went and got off the highway to get back home the oil light kept blinking lightly when i would stop at a light for more than 30sec. But when i was driving it would be fine. I recently changed the valve gasket (old one had a crack). But that is not what is causing the problem because i have had this before i even changed it.

I will check later today to see how much oil i have and see if the valve gasket is holding up. So i'll update this thread once i have done that.

Thanks in advance...

PsychoPaul
03-20-2004, 12:51 PM
well oil is a little more than half way between the lower hole and the upper hole. I checked it when the car was cold (didn't run for the past 12 hours). I'm sure i lost some because of the valve gasket leak i had before but thats not a concern anymore.

jayp6969
03-20-2004, 05:01 PM
i dunno maybe...it might be ur oil pump

PsychoPaul
03-22-2004, 11:54 AM
Anybody else have an idea?

or should i just go have it checked out....

Blkblurr
03-22-2004, 01:20 PM
Most likely the oil pump is worn. Could also be your oil sending unit is going bad. You should measure your oil pressure witha guage so you can see if it is correct.

shepherd79
03-22-2004, 01:53 PM
it could be the oil filter.
when did you change the oil?

PsychoPaul
03-22-2004, 02:50 PM
uhhh... changed the oil in february or late january which included the filter.

sorry... i'm a bit of a noob... how do i check the oil pressure/what kind of guage do i need? and out of curiosity how much does an oil pump/sending unit cost if it's defect (US/CA)? Is the job hard to do for a noob?

Also if i decide not to fix this now (as i plan on getting a car later this summer) what kind of problems can i have?

PsychoPaul
03-27-2004, 01:28 PM
Sorry to bring this up again....

I know i ask alot of questions but i am very curious....

I just got my oil switch change (thats what the mechanic called it) and i am still having the same problem. So now am assuming it is the oil pump.

Would it be better to buy a new one, or simply change the gaskets in the pump?

If the pump were leaking would it spray oil all over the place? I have noticed it dripping under the oil pan and also on other parts under the car. Like the metal beam/frame in the center of the car and off of some parts behind the oil pan. And probably others i'm sure.

Anyway, any info would be great...

Oyvind Ryeng
03-27-2004, 01:34 PM
Go with a new oil pump! Do you know how many seconds the A20 would survive without oilpressure? How many fingers on your hand?

qh187
06-19-2004, 11:50 AM
I have this same problem what is the cause? Also today i made a hard turn around a corner and after that the oil light started blinking consistenly. I turned off the engine and then when i turned it back on it was ok. Usually I don't drive my car hard at all.

od2681
06-19-2004, 12:49 PM
wiat...you said you changed ur oil and filter in january...
what month is it now..JUNE
dude get an oil change....ur supposed to do it every 3000 miles.....or every 3 months...you should have gone trhough another oil change like in late march early april...

locknload68
06-19-2004, 03:53 PM
You're supposed to change it every 7500 miles or 6 months. Why not stick with what the engineers designed it to work with?

od2681
06-19-2004, 07:49 PM
dont know what kind of manual you have...but as far as i know...ive been changin my oil and filter every 3000 miles....i know that my bro didnt change on my moms impala for like 4500 miles...brand new car...started actin funny...so i really think 7500 miles is a way long time.....

88LXi/87CRXSi
06-19-2004, 08:35 PM
wiat...you said you changed ur oil and filter in january...
what month is it now..JUNE
dude get an oil change....ur supposed to do it every 3000 miles.....or every 3 months...you should have gone trhough another oil change like in late march early april...

Ummm... Did anyone happen to notice that this is a revived thread from back in March, and when he said " changed the oil in february or late january " it was only about 2 months later? :uh:

TheMagi
06-19-2004, 08:57 PM
[QUOTE=PsychoPaul]Sorry to bring this up again....

This happened in my 89 Nissan Hardbody. Could be the same problem, but i would check your oil pressure first, as this is a sorta big job.

od2681
06-19-2004, 09:33 PM
Ummm... Did anyone happen to notice that this is a revived thread from back in March, and when he said " changed the oil in february or late january " it was only about 2 months later? :uh:
huh :dunno:

locknload68
06-20-2004, 09:10 AM
dont know what kind of manual you have...but as far as i know...ive been changin my oil and filter every 3000 miles....i know that my bro didnt change on my moms impala for like 4500 miles...brand new car...started actin funny...so i really think 7500 miles is a way long time.....

The sticker on the airbox of carbed 3g says 7500 miles. Says it in the owners manual and factory service manual too. New Hondas say change oil every 7500 miles and filter every 15000.

sleepee
06-23-2004, 03:49 PM
my car is having the same problem with oil problem, My car almost siezed on the road a couple weeks ago, when just recently checked the oil level which was fine before the incident happend. I get the car towed home. Let the car sat for a day and Checked the oil level which was a little above normal level then I took the valve cover off and and noticed gasket was cracked and replaced that.
Then noticed the Vaccuum Advanced was in need of replacement and replaced that. Went to start the car again and when in motion i hear a grinding like popping noise, but no feedback movement from the grinding/popping noise.(like a shake) But the car wouldn't accelerate well at all I would be getting high rpms at 15mph turned the car off. I want to assume oil pump and something else causing this problem. If I get no answers off of this thread I will create another thread with the above issues..

A Day later..
Attempt to start car again, and when I let go of the gas and keep the clutch down, the car will stall but when I don't have the clutch nor gas pedal down and in Nuetral the car stays idle with no problems but once gas is put into the engine it'll attempt to stall or just stall. :sadwave:

od2681
06-23-2004, 04:48 PM
The sticker on the airbox of carbed 3g says 7500 miles. Says it in the owners manual and factory service manual too. New Hondas say change oil every 7500 miles and filter every 15000.
hmmmmmmm.....well i will keep changing my oil every 3000 miles...thats what ive been doin for a long time..keeps my car all good...