PDA

View Full Version : Wheel wont' move, and it ain't the brakes

Versanick
03-20-2004, 09:21 AM
So I have this 1989 Accord sedan, the body might have 180k on it, the motor and tranny that are in it have 65k (since it's the third motor/tranny that's been in the car already)... and I have a new transmission to replace this garbage one that just dropped (got stuck in fifth gear all of a sudden, no matter what gear you put it in, its in 5th gear... after having 5th gear get grounded away months ago... *boggle*)

And I'm trying to roll the 89 out of my driveway after sitting for about a week. It starts. OK. The e-brake hasn't frozen on on the back wheels. OK. The front brakes clearly aren't locking the front wheels. OK. Let's let it roll. pushing. nope. towing with my dads truck and a chain. nope... oh, oh wait... the front left wheel is dragging... wtf?? I jack it up, and try to turn the wheel. If I apply the brake, the wheel doesn't turn at off. When the brake clearly lets off, I only have a range of motion of the wheel of like 1/8 of a turn and it stops, going forward or backward. It seems as though the transmission is stopping it from spinning, even with the clutch in. Even in 5th gear, I could at least move the car up to 1 week ago, and had driven it back up to my house after going down the hill (to make sure its still runnin).... and had no problem. All of a sudden, that wheel won't move. And I can't get it to.

What's the biggest problem? This car has to be sold so that I can afford to fix my new car before April 12. Otherwise I'm not very well going to join my friends on vacation. Or doing much here for vacation because I'll have no MONEY!

Does anyone have any insight as to why this wheel is locked up (the front right one doesn't seem to be locked up by the way, just the front left... the clutch clearly goes in and out and lets me rev it fine when its in, and starts to drop rpm's when I let it out, just like normal)... or insight as to what on earth I can do to move this car besides a flatbed toe?

thanks guys.
I suck
paul

cruznz
03-20-2004, 11:42 PM
hmmmm......i've come across a similar experience with a mitsi.....cause was wrong type of rim,offset was to deep which caused it to jam against brake caliper.
Could be a diff. fault,try pulling the axle out on that side to move it

A20A1
03-20-2004, 11:57 PM
Differential? I dunno?

cruznz
03-21-2004, 12:29 AM
Differential? I dunno?

Was just a thought , as i've come across stuffed spider gears before

A20A1
03-21-2004, 01:30 AM
I was agreeing actually. :D

cruznz
03-21-2004, 01:44 AM
I was agreeing actually. :D

:lol: ....was the question marks on your post that had me confused... :rolleyes: :cheers:

k-roy
03-21-2004, 03:01 AM
You could disconnect the inboard CV joint so the car will roll freely.