PDA

View Full Version : Leaking rack fitting

AZmike
07-11-2002, 03:35 PM
About two weeks ago I replaced my rack (terrible leaking from both ends). My guess is that the previous owner can't read instructions and put ATF or something into the system and it ate my seals. I did drive it for a couple of weeks with manual steering and decided that I wanted the PS working again. I put in a rebuilt rack and all seemed well. Before I put the control valve cover back on I noticed The fitting that connects the pressure hose from the pump to the rack was leaking. It was already pretty tight and I'm concerned about stripping the threads on the alumunium housing. I've heard that the PS fluid would get past pretty much any sealant. I'm considering teflon tape, but I doubt it would work well either. The place where I got the rack thinks it must be the problem, but I was hoping I could fix it without pulling the nwe part right back out. Could it be the hose? It's not a bad leak, but it's really aggrivating to spend a bunch of money and a day tearing the whole front end apart and not have it work right.

Any ideas on how I can stop this leak?

shepherd79
07-11-2002, 05:31 PM
dude do not overtight them. they will strip.
see if you can get a new a new hose. you should not use the any type of teflon stuff.
i don't know how much it cost.
but i would just get another hose.