PDA

View Full Version : Replacement Keys From Dealership!! PLEASE PLEASE READ!!!!!!!

Jonessoda27
03-21-2004, 07:33 PM
I have a 1987 honda accord LXi i recently bought from a private seller. It has a generic copied key and i was wondering how much it would cost to bring in to a dealership and have it copied as an original honda key with the logo stamped on it? I have heard that if you have the number on the key it can be done. I have a couple numbers written on the owner's manual, i just need to know how many digits it should have. Please Help! DO THEY EVEN DO IT? :dunno: :dunno: :stupid:

By the way im a newbie here, and its my first car and my first 3 gee!!!
I LOVE IT SO MUCH!!!! :rice:

Thanks!

zero.counter
03-21-2004, 07:39 PM
Welcome, and to answer your question...I don't know. You can buy a honda logo stamped blank off of e-bay...

Dennis
03-21-2004, 07:58 PM
Welcome to this site. Use the search button and read the FAQs. :cheers:

lightbulblxi
03-21-2004, 08:05 PM
yea man, just buy a blank key and bring it to a hardware store, they usually copy keys

Jonessoda27
03-21-2004, 11:10 PM
i searched ebay and they dont seem to have any key blanks for 3 gee's!!!!
Any further suggestions?? i dont think you can get a more modern accord key blank. It wont work. I dont know!!! HELP! :crying:

neoblue89lxi
03-21-2004, 11:18 PM
Yes the dealership will make you an original key. All you need is your car vin number and proof that it is yours like registration.

SteveDX89
03-22-2004, 03:08 AM
I had a new one made because the plastic part at the top broke and it wouldn't stay on my key ring. The cost was $3.00 and it was $2.00 for the cut.

Jonessoda27
03-22-2004, 08:01 AM
Thank you neoblue for the reply. I am going to check and see if i can get it done at the dealership. I appreciate the reply. I can sense that there are very cool people on this message board. Thanks to everybody that replied! :rofl: :lock: :rofl:

Mike's89AccordLX
03-22-2004, 10:22 AM
I just got keys made for my 94 lude si and I just had to give them the VIN# and then they cut them for $5 total. I found out by asking them at the dealership and was amazed that it was only $5 for a perfectly cut key. Let me tell you this, the key that I had when I bought the car didn't look like the keys I got from the dealership. It was a little different. But after 10 years of use that's ok. I did notice that opening my D.S. door was a pain b/c it had to be just right. But now with the new keys it opens so smooth and easily.

Don't spend money on the ebay keys just goto Honda.

zero.counter
03-22-2004, 02:56 PM
i dont think you can get a more modern accord key blank.
http://search.ebaymotors.com/search/search.dll?MfcISAPICommand=GetResult&cgiurl=http%3A%2F%2Fcgi.ebay.com%2Febaymotors%2Fws %2F&siteid=100&from=R8&s_partnerid=2&categorymap=6000&category0=6000&SortProperty=MetaEndSort&ebaytag1=ebayreg&query=honda+blank+key

whyterice
03-22-2004, 05:38 PM
Yes the dealership will make you an original key. All you need is your car vin number and proof that it is yours like registration.

I saw a special on 20/20 where they had one of the reporters stand out in the parking lot with this little scanning device to scan the frequency of the remote codes when people would lock they're doors and go into the stores....then the same reporter wrote the VIN number down from the car they just got the remote signal off of and went to a dealership and got a spare key w/o any proof of ownership!

adams86lxi
03-22-2004, 08:50 PM
yep 5$ for a original, I had one done at the honda dealer about 2 months ago and it didnt work at all he spent a good hour until the key actually worked in my car! :cool: :rolleyes:

Jonessoda27
03-22-2004, 09:43 PM
did you even have the original 4 digit number? Why was it so hard for him to figure it out?

blazin3gen
03-22-2004, 10:27 PM
ehh yea

btw please stick to original black font lol those other fonts suck balls!

o yea welcome to 3geez :D

adams86lxi
03-23-2004, 04:15 PM
did you even have the original 4 digit number? Why was it so hard for him to figure it out?

i had the original 4 digit number on it but for some reason the key that they gave me was far from what mine really was. so they kinda just tried to copy my origial key (which was pretty worn down) so it was real hard for them to do it TOOK FOREVER FOR THEM TO GET IT RIGHT! Maybe the guy at the dealership just didnt know what he was doing? :dunno: :cool:

Jonessoda27
03-23-2004, 06:58 PM
I got two 3 gee blank keys but they said its too old and they told me to go somewhere else to get it cut! They also didn't have the basic key i wanted!!! Does anybody still have their basic key??!? I really want to get a basic key, because it'd be cool to. I don't know im at least happy that i have to honda originals. Side note, the key that i have is like a cole key and it opens everything except the trunk lock inside the door and the glove box. This goes against what the owners manual said about the master key working on everthing and the basic key only working on the ignition and door locks? Any thoughts? What's wrong??