PDA

View Full Version : What would it take?

BKKloppenborg
03-21-2004, 08:01 PM
I finally decided this is the config i want, after all those damn threads.
i want about 200 HP out of My 89 Honda Accord LX 98 HP. I DO not want a bigger engine, just upgrade and update it. I know i will need a turbo, Cold air intake, K&N filter, good muflers, new sparks plugs, roater, ignition, racing clutch, and convert engine to Fuel Injection. Will this get me to 200HP or close to it and about how much does this cost? p.s. please tell me about any other mods i should add that i forgot without a engine swap. thanks, brian

Dennis
03-21-2004, 08:09 PM
Until you do that, why don't you remove the vacuum lines?

BKKloppenborg
03-21-2004, 08:11 PM
Until you do that, why don't you remove the vacuum lines?

Ya thats true i will work on that first. I got a repair mannual for my car today and i will start fixing everything that is wrong with it and upgrade it. And about the paint job i wanted, my uncle is a good painter and said he will do it for however much the paint costs thats all. (: he did he own car and it looks nice better then macco.

zero.counter
03-21-2004, 08:18 PM
I finally decided this is the config i want, after all those damn threads.
i want about 200 HP out of My 89 Honda Accord LX 98 HP. I DO not want a bigger engine, just upgrade and update it. I know i will need a turbo, Cold air intake, K&N filter, good muflers, new sparks plugs, roater, ignition, racing clutch, and convert engine to Fuel Injection. Will this get me to 200HP or close to it and about how much does this cost? p.s. please tell me about any other mods i should add that i forgot without a engine swap. thanks, brian
You are in the right forum, PERFORMANCE. Sean is the guy with stickys all over you will want to find. It sounds like you have been doing some reading and have applied some of what you have learned. You are missing an upgraded ECU/M engine management, intercooler (not required, but helps quite a bit), custom piping, BOV, exhaust manifold with appropriately welded flanges for the turbo, downpipe, oil drain fitting for the pan from the turbo, possible cooling solutions upgrades...for starters that is (keep in mind I am applying general turbo specs and recommendations here, some apply and some don't). You might want to consider the costs of doing this as well.

But for sure, search all of sean, justin, johnny o, The "K" modified guy and more's threads...

Oyvind Ryeng
03-21-2004, 08:57 PM
intercooler (not required, but helps quite a bit)
If you don't lower the compression ratio you will only be able to run a little boost before knocking occurs without an intercooler. Especially if you pick a small turbo (from lets say an Volkswagen 1.9 TDI) that har 40% efficiency and cooks the charge-air up to 200 degreees @ 8 psi.

zero.counter
03-21-2004, 09:07 PM
If you don't lower the compression ratio you will only be able to run a little boost before knocking occurs without an intercooler. Especially if you pick a small turbo (from lets say an Volkswagen 1.9 TDI) that har 40% efficiency and cooks the charge-air up to 200 degreees @ 8 psi.
I am not challenging the validity of your statement, but I have turbocharged 2 KA24e engines from a 240sx without the usage of an intercooler with relatively low boost, under 8psi. Hence my statement," intercooler (not required, but helps quite a bit)".

I can point you to some info if you would like????

HondaBoy
03-21-2004, 09:10 PM
heh, my friend just wrecked his GTI 1.8T a few weeks ago. brand new, 180hp. wonder if the engine and tranny was ripped out yet. anyway, as for 200hp out the A20, i'd like to see that. well can you say double the power? i know a fi set up sounds good, but im probley going to stick with the old carb. maybe later on i will see what can be done. maybe to stick some more power to the ground, use a prelude tranny, i think the 2nd gen is the one you get? the 2.0Si, old style.

Oyvind Ryeng
03-21-2004, 10:19 PM
zero.counter: I was not undermining you, just wanted to show-off my knowledge! :D

I wonder if the original pistons/rods will hang in there @ 200 whp? And isn't the gearbox weak in our cars? And what about getting the power into the ground (think of 200 whp where the inner wheel is desperately looking for some traction accelerating out of a turn in the wet). Any LSD-options for the 3G?

shepherd79
03-22-2004, 04:11 AM
the original pistons will hold up to 8psi with no problem.
Sean has GM EFI conversion and it has knock sensor build into it.
he ran 12psi on stock motor with no problem, and i am not mistaken he was laying down 220whp at that time with his clutch slipping.
the compression in our cars are low enought to run 8psi boost safly, it is the fuel/air mixture you need to worry.

BKKloppenborg
03-23-2004, 03:41 PM
the original pistons will hold up to 8psi with no problem.
Sean has GM EFI conversion and it has knock sensor build into it.
he ran 12psi on stock motor with no problem, and i am not mistaken he was laying down 220whp at that time with his clutch slipping.
the compression in our cars are low enought to run 8psi boost safly, it is the fuel/air mixture you need to worry.

K ty all for help.

NXRacer
03-23-2004, 03:50 PM
i would be willing to bet you could get close to 200hp on a N/A motor that was built up right. ESP with seans high performance head package. Maybe a little extra shot of juice for shits and giggles.

Justin86
03-24-2004, 10:31 AM
i would be willing to bet you could get close to 200hp on a N/A motor that was built up right. ESP with seans high performance head package. Maybe a little extra shot of juice for shits and giggles.
Yea that could be quite possible, high compression, B16 intake, head work, cam, ECU upgrade and a 50 shot on top of that and you will be kicking ass. :D

pip
03-24-2004, 12:40 PM
well ur definatly going to need more than that, u need some rods, pistons, screw injection, keep it carbed, all bolt ons, I/H/E, msd ignitions, high volume fuel, pressure reg. , clutch
i say keep it carbed because u can manually control your A/f mixture with the mixture screw, fuel injection does this automatically but it is only designed to control upto a certain point , while if u have a performance carb u can tweak it to get extra power, if u lean out ur going to get too much heat

BKKloppenborg
03-25-2004, 05:41 PM
well ur definatly going to need more than that, u need some rods, pistons, screw injection, keep it carbed, all bolt ons, I/H/E, msd ignitions, high volume fuel, pressure reg. , clutch
i say keep it carbed because u can manually control your A/f mixture with the mixture screw, fuel injection does this automatically but it is only designed to control upto a certain point , while if u have a performance carb u can tweak it to get extra power, if u lean out ur going to get too much heat
K ty,i plan to start working on my car on Sat.

Morpheus
03-25-2004, 05:45 PM
maybe 200 N/A hp out of the A20 with the 50 shot of juice.

speedpenguin
03-26-2004, 12:27 PM
the carb advice is true, but i seriously would not recommend staying carbed if you wanna go turbo.
carb is actually better for drag racing, often because of tighter A/F controls, but if you wanna wider powerband for anything else, EFI is the way to go.
or maybe i'm talking out of my ass, but if i am, someone will correct me pretty quick.
good luck on sat.
i'm starting to put in my new clutch that day, too. and stripping out the AC. maybe the PS, too, but we'll see