PDA

View Full Version : Vacuum At Throttle Shaft

ELM'sLX+CHL'sDX
03-21-2004, 10:36 PM
Hi Guys:

Just replaced the carburetor on my 89 Accord. Still had a rough idle and now it idles very high. I can't get it to drop below 1200-1300RPM. Took it to the dealer to diagnose. The guy says I have a vacuum leak at the throttle shaft. Makes me suspicious because I sprayed everywhere and the idle never changed.

Anyways, now after I drive the vehicle for a while 30-45 minutes continuously, the idle will drop way below the standard 800-850RPM. It stays around 200-300RPM, but the engine never dies. The next day as it starts it will be back around 1200-1300RPM until I drive it for a while. I do see my tack bounce a bit. Could this be an electrical problem? Think the guy at the dealer screwed up on the Diag?

Thanks
Claude

A20A1
03-21-2004, 10:56 PM
Hmm, well for one I would be very suspicious...

I doubt it's a throttle shaft... and by the test you did if it was leaking then for sure it would have jumped the idle some.

It's usually electrical if the sound of the motor doesn't change but the tach still jumps.
and considering you can idle at 200 rpm is kinda pointing your problem in that direction.

It's probably some misrouted vac hose or electrical bug... there is something simmilar to what he said that just came to mind... a vacuum leak to the Throttle Controller / Throttle Diaphragm can cuase idle to fluctuate.