PDA

View Full Version : TB, TPS, or something else?

RedneckRicer
03-22-2004, 04:01 AM
i have an 88 LXi, and its got about 203,000 on it now, i just had the head rebuilt, and i put a custom ground cam in it ( local shop ) and i also replaced the throttle body because mine was doing the surging idle thing, and it was almost impossible to start without starting fluid at times. well when it was all done the new TB seemed to help and it started right away every time. then slowly it starting to do the surging idle, and now at times it starts fine, and others it will absolutely not start until it gets the starting fluid. i have new injectors, new fuel filter, and theres fuel getting to the injectors, i also have new plugs, wires, cap, and rotor. is there something else that could be starving the car for fuel upon starting? other than that it runs great and strong, almost 30mpg w/ 17's. the only trouble it gives me is starting ( especially if i'm looking at another car ) any ideas of stuff i can try? i'm about ready to just trade it in and get screwed over for something that'll at least start reliably

shepherd79
03-22-2004, 04:13 AM
did you check the filter inside the fuel tank?
the other thing could be is that you may have a vacuum leak somewhere.

k-roy
03-22-2004, 04:25 AM
Does your check engine or PGMFI light come on?
Did you check your ECU for error codes?
Im thinking its either something to do with EGR, Vacuum lines or the Oxygen sensor.

If I were you I would go ahead and replace all the vacuum lines under the hood and clean out the EGR Valve for starters.

RedneckRicer
03-22-2004, 06:32 PM
i thought it was just the carbed cars that had the filter in the tank? no PGMFI light or codes on the ECU, and i recently had it hooked up to a machine that fills the vacuum lines up with a smoke to check for leaks,and we couldn't find any. hot days don't seem to help issues either. when i went through the top end, i cleaned up the outside of the EGR and all the places it was black with carbon, is there something i can disassemble and clean?

cruznz
03-23-2004, 01:00 PM
Main relay maybe?,if it plays up on hot days

DanLXI88
03-23-2004, 03:16 PM
I had problems with my car if I drove it to the a few stores and home it would just turn over and over without a start. I would cycle the key and wait to hear the pump kick on then it would start. Well I pulled the main relay out and looked at it and yup it had bad solder joints so I redid all the joints and she runs better then she has in years and starts up much faster then before. IMO if you have not replaced/repaired the relay DO IT!! Good Luck

NeubJ
03-26-2004, 09:29 PM
I wish I could help ..but .....

Mine is doing the exact same thing. (I have the surging idle too) Sometimes it will start right up and other times it wont start at all or start and then die immediately. I have replaced a few parts that you listed. After being changed it would start up fine then slowly it will start doing the same thing.

I replaced the main relay and igniter (as suggested) and it started fine for alittle while but starts acting up again.

I am getting pissed now ...since its happening more frequently.

Oh... what can it be?

RedneckRicer
03-27-2004, 02:45 PM
yeah, mines been doing the start and then die immediately thing too. mine has fuel in the rail, and spark, but i'm thinking that something isn't tellin the injectors to work in a start mode but its fine in a run mode, is there a way the mapping for the fuel injection could get fubar'd?