PDA

View Full Version : How to replace Throttle Position Sensor! Help!

kirobei
07-11-2002, 05:04 PM
My engine check light came on and i ran the code from the computer and it came back as the Throttle position sensor. Car ran shitty with it messed up anyway and i tested the sensor myself and i have concluded that it is bad. I went to replace it and i realized a problem when i was at the junk yard. The a-holes at honda decided to rivit the damn thing to the throttle body. I need some advice as to how i should go about replacing it. I was thinking of using a rotozip or dremal and grinding off the heads of the rivits and then swapping the bad sensor for the good one and then drill holes and run screws in the rivit holes. Will this work? :burn:

damackz
07-12-2002, 06:17 PM
dunno man u might just want to get a tb from the junkyard instead :pimp:

Sean
07-12-2002, 08:57 PM
i would do what i did tap those f'ing rivet holes and use fine thread screws. now you can adjust yr tps. this is a fast easy way to richen/lean the engine a smidge for your i/h/e

smufguy
10-27-2002, 11:33 AM
someppl usually pull the whole dame front off the tb and get another one like that with the throttle spring/spiral linkage.

damn..... this is liek 3 months olddddddddddddddddddddd.

kirobei
10-27-2002, 03:11 PM
I found out that i just used a rotozip wizard and made screws out of the so called rivits and used a flat head screwdriver to just take them out. they were just screws without heads. Problem solved.

AccordEpicenter
11-25-2002, 06:40 PM
Maybe you could go to a yard and yank a similar throttle body and use the one from the yard instead, sure beats messin around with rivets and sensors, prolly save you alot of headaches, but youd need a new gaskey prolly. If you do that, be real careful, the 86/87 and the 88/89 throttle bodies are very different, as are the intakes

Kevin
12-15-2002, 07:19 PM
ok, i did that removed those gay rivit things and repalced them with skrews!!! How do you adjust the A/F ratio???

anchovies
12-16-2002, 02:55 PM
Originally posted by Kevin
How do you adjust the A/F ratio???

With a variable resistor. But I'm not an electronic guy.

cruznz
12-16-2002, 03:52 PM
hmmmm....tps is a variable resistor.....are you asking...how to set tps to specs?

bobafett
12-16-2002, 04:12 PM
uh oh, i have a b16 manifold that i need to get a throttle body onto.... if the 86/88 TB's are way different i can only imagine the difference between and a20 TB vs. a b16 TB... any pointers? could a stock b16 TB work, or would it be incompatible for any reason?