PDA

View Full Version : Power Steering

atom1414
03-22-2004, 06:22 AM
lately my car has been having problems with power steering. Its not giving out or anything. just when you turn the wheel when your hardly moving you can hear this squeek. I dont know if its the cold. I dont think it is just cause of having warmer days. Is there any reason I sould be worried, if I should what should I check?

it's paid for
03-22-2004, 06:58 AM
The belt to your p/s pump needs replacing or tightening . . . the p/s system is under greatest load when you're turning at full lock and the engine is idling, thus, this is why sometimes you'll only hear the squeal/squeak at this time . . .

. . . if your belt doesn't need replacing or retensioning, something in your p/s system is probably bad - like the p/s pump or the rack . . .

. . . have you poked under the hood & checked the level of the p/s fluid in the reservoir? It's very easy to do - just look at the plastic can with the green lid in the front-left corner - just behind the headlight (that's what it looks like & where it's located on my car) . . . it's always a good idea to check for p/s fluid leaks from the pump to the reservoir and to the rack and back . . .

good luck & happy Honda-ing,

IPF

Blkblurr
03-22-2004, 10:21 AM
gotta be your ps belt.