PDA

View Full Version : Muffler hanger

AC439
03-22-2004, 07:26 AM
I am about to change my broken muffler and I'd like to put something bigger. The original muffler has two "hooks" welded at the back of the muffler to connect to two rubber hanger for supporting the rear end of the muffler. But what aftermarket mufflers, they don't have those (well, they expect you to weld it, I guess).

I have very little money to spend so I need to DIY. Years ago, I installed an aftermarket direct fit muffler so it came with the welded "hooks". But it is now 3 times expensive than before. Also, I want to take this chance to do a minor upgrade (from 1 3/4" to 2 1/4", I know I need adaptors) for the muffler. I have done some research and the only thing stuck now is how to hang the muffler if I don't have a welding machine. How do I attach those "hooks" at the back for hanging or what is the alternative/mod to get the job done with a generic muffler?

Thanks !
- Alex

it's paid for
03-22-2004, 08:02 AM
What about a quick trip to your local Walmart . . . they sell that round tubing that goes from the clothes dryer to the outside vent - grab some of that . . . & then snatch a box of aluminum foil (to seal everything up real tight & professional like) . . . an, I jus use a wire coat hanger to hang it from . . .

. . . are you having prollems with anything else?

SteveDX89
03-22-2004, 08:04 AM
If you doing a muffler change, you might as well redo the pipe from the cat back. The smaller pipe is what gives it that annoying fart pipe sound. There isn't really any other way to hang the muffler except for those hangers. You'd have to get extremely creative on holding that thing up. You should be able to get pipe bent at a muffler shop and have a muffler you've provided put on for $100-150.

A20A1
03-22-2004, 01:03 PM
http://www.3geez.com/showthread.php?t=30470
I was selling a muffler with hangers in that thread.

Blkblurr
03-22-2004, 01:16 PM
I am about to change my broken muffler and I'd like to put something bigger. The original muffler has two "hooks" welded at the back of the muffler to connect to two rubber hanger for supporting the rear end of the muffler. But what aftermarket mufflers, they don't have those (well, they expect you to weld it, I guess).

I have very little money to spend so I need to DIY. Years ago, I installed an aftermarket direct fit muffler so it came with the welded "hooks". But it is now 3 times expensive than before. Also, I want to take this chance to do a minor upgrade (from 1 3/4" to 2 1/4", I know I need adaptors) for the muffler. I have done some research and the only thing stuck now is how to hang the muffler if I don't have a welding machine. How do I attach those "hooks" at the back for hanging or what is the alternative/mod to get the job done with a generic muffler?

Thanks !
- Alex

Here's what you need to put on your car!!!
This makes me laugh everytime I see it. HA HA :kekeke:

AC439
03-22-2004, 05:01 PM
Thanks for all the replies. I really don't have over $40 to spend. So I think I'd need to be creative to get some kind of hanging devices attached to a generic muffler. Maybe need to go Walmart to get some wire coat hangers to modify them....... For the one that A20A1 is selling, it looks cool but really doesn't fit my style. I prefer something that is much lower profile (not eye catching). The pic by Blkblurr is so dramatic !!!
Tks ! - Alex