PDA

View Full Version : 3g Accord and 1g Legend part compatability

smufguy
03-22-2004, 10:21 AM
Well I know of only one thread This (http://www.3geez.com/showthread.php?t=6005&highlight=legend) that even mentioned anything close to what i am talking about. I been looking at 1g legend and reading about it to see what parts of it might be compatable with our 3g for ease of part scavanging.

My interest was sparked by looking for rear disc brake swaps from an SE-i but lack of its existance in the junkyard and the abundance of the 1g legends.

These are the parts that are exact match for 89 Se-i and Legend. The Lx-i from 88-89 do benefit from this, but Dx, and Lx guys have to change respective stuff to make the following adaptable.

Brake Calipers (F.R) - ACEI (N1040-99591), Advantex (N1040-111039)

Brake Caliper (F.L) - ACEI (N1040-99589), Advantex (N1040-111038)

Fuel injector Seal kit - C1060-55539

Fuel injector Cushion ring - C1011-17609

Oxygen Sensors - NTK by NGK (C5010-62825), Bosch (C5010-51385)

Fuel Tank Cap - E2010-32821, E2010-50410

Stop Light Switch - P3055-46646

Water Temperature Sender - P4036-46668

Clutch Pedal Pad - I5010-20677

Aux. Fan Switch Seal (cooling system) - G5031-32370

Control Arm Bushing Rear Suspension lower arm (outer bushing, 2 per wheel) - KYB (L4040-35005)

Shock Bellows (Front) - KYB (L4030-108063)

Well this is so far my findings. i will update these once i get my hands on other parts.

Robs89LXi
03-22-2004, 04:59 PM
So the rear disk brakes won't work?

Mike's89AccordLX
03-22-2004, 05:08 PM
Don't forget that I'm trying to get my hands on a set of heated mirrors from the 90 legend. Expect the dude I talked to today wanted $20 for each mirror I was like no.... So I will talk to someone I normally buy stuff from.

And possibly the climate controls that I ripped out.

And don't forget the 90 legend foglights that fit our cars.

smufguy
03-22-2004, 06:55 PM
So the rear disk brakes won't work?

the only reason the front dics are different part number is because of their stud spacing. I think they are regular 4 lug rims on em but not 4 X 100 or they could be 5 lug

The rear is the same case, but i could not locate the LEGEND rear brake part number. But u know im still working on it :)

and MIke, even if u get the legend heated mirrors, you are gonna custom wire it with a relay and a timer or something?

wprocomp
03-22-2004, 07:02 PM
the legend brakes will fit...I matched them up at a local yard se-i/legend...I am not sure as of yet on the swaybar and upper joint...but the rotor and all the brackets are an exact match...so that means those of use who need porportioning valves(like me) may be able to use the legend ones...and $20 for heated mirrors each mike,shit stock accord mirrors cost that at most yards...I also want to get the mirror with the compass out of the legend...rare but they do exist!

smufguy
03-22-2004, 07:04 PM
the legend brakes will fit...I matched them up at a local yard se-i/legend...I am not sure as of yet on the swaybar and upper joint...but the rotor and all the brackets are an exact match...so that means those of use who need porportioning valves(like me) may be able to use the legend ones...and $20 for heated mirrors each mike,shit stock accord mirrors cost that at most yards...I also want to get the mirror with the compass out of the legend...rare but they do exist!

thats awsome then, how about the lug spacing on the discks tho? the diameter and thickness is not an issue, we have to see if the lugs do match up, if not then we have to get the legend hub and use that, which is a whole different story.

I wanna see how the rear Upper and lower control arms bolt up to a 3g, that would be a very easy way to do a rear disc swap

wprocomp
03-22-2004, 07:08 PM
I will be going to the yard to look to pick up a rear bumper wensday..so I will check on that too...I know its 4-lug but I am not sure on the spacing,I know of a few interchangeable stuff with the accord...like 90-93 teg rotors will fit the accord,crx struts can be made to fit the accord too

smufguy
03-22-2004, 07:14 PM
i personally dont like to make anything fit, unless they are sturdy or cosmetic. LIke the 2nd gen or the 3rd gen lude control arms for instances.

Im sure they are 4 X112.4 or something like that, they might be similar to the 4th gen accords, not sure. but double checking it would be a lot of help tho.

The struts or the coils wont fit cause the legend coils are biiger in diameter compared to our 3g cause of the nose being heavy cause of the V6

wprocomp
03-22-2004, 07:22 PM
86-91 legend 4x114 bolt pattern hub bore70mm
5x114 hub bore 72mm
thought I would go ahead and confirm that by searching :cheers:

guaynabo89
03-23-2004, 05:32 PM
I was at a local junkyard a couple of weeks ago and the 88-89 Legend rear suspension looks like it will bolt up to the accord. The legends use a rear rotor with a huge surface area and the pistons in the rear calipers are also huge.

If I had the time i would had tried it out but didnt have enough time.

Someone should try just using the 88-89 Legend as a candidate for the rear ddisc conversion. The only thing is you probably have to use the Accord hub and drill holes in the rotor cause of the diffence in bolt spacing.

I have to many projects going on to try it myself but if noone does it and i have no projects going I'll try it out myself.

Vinny
03-23-2004, 06:11 PM
Why would you have to use the accord hub??????? Just buy unilug wheels. Problem solved there LOL

guaynabo89
03-23-2004, 06:12 PM
Why would you have to use the accord hub??????? Just buy unilug wheels. Problem solved there LOL

well some of us like things done right! :owned: :kekeke:

smufguy
03-24-2004, 09:06 PM
one of the things with changing the hubs is to get the rotors vinny, its not the rims we are concerned about. The plan is to use the 1st gen as much as we can for our 3g and to do that as i mentioned, the main this is the rear brakes, and to get that components, we need to buy disks or a hub, we need to know what the lug pattern is.

Also, when it comes to rims, there are a lot more selection on a given lug pattern compared to a unilug as u mentioned.

Mike's89AccordLX
03-25-2004, 07:09 PM
And smufguy I was going to run a current draw test to see if the mirrors would need a relay. I think they would but I just want to be sure.

-Mike

smufguy
03-25-2004, 09:50 PM
they do, but do u think u really wanna do it? :D heated mirrors. dude, do the friggin pwr seats :D

bc86
08-27-2004, 03:18 PM
Any pic on what the mirrors look like?

Strugglebucket
12-14-2005, 07:15 PM
OK. time to dust this thread off.

has anyone been successful with a legend rear disc swap? i'll test it in the junkyard if anyone's interested.

one thing i didn't see mention of is that it's only the coupes that have the identical looking rear suspension. sedans are nothing like the 3g.

AccordEpicenter
12-14-2005, 08:26 PM
this is getting verrryyyy interesting

Kabuki
12-15-2005, 10:47 AM
86-91 legend 4x114 bolt pattern hub bore70mm
5x114 hub bore 72mm
thought I would go ahead and confirm that by searching :cheers:

You are combining multiple variations there... The 86-7 Legends are somewhat different than the 88-90s. The engine and rear brake setups are both different. Along with body panels and some other stuff. The bolt pattern is the same though, 4x114. Personally, I would suggest sticking with the 88-90 Rear brake setups, and yes, it DOES look like they'll work, though a camber kit may be required to get the knuckle aligned properly.

The 91-95 2G is VERY different, and NOTHING usefull swaps over tho the 3G Accord. They are the units with the 5x114 lug spacing.

guaynabo89
12-15-2005, 11:32 AM
OK. time to dust this thread off.
has anyone been successful with a legend rear disc swap? i'll test it in the junkyard if anyone's interested.
one thing i didn't see mention of is that it's only the coupes that have the identical looking rear suspension. sedans are nothing like the 3g.

its the 88-89 legend that has the suspension setup as he accord

Strugglebucket
01-24-2006, 09:49 PM
update. i started working on a rear disc swap from the legend. i say "started working" because the junkyard closed before i could bolt it all up. anyway, here's what i found out so far:

i used the rear suspension from an '87 legend coupe without ABS. the trailing arm, upper arm, and both lower arms are identical to the accord:naughty: i found that i had to swap the trailing arm bracket because the legend's is different than the accord's. i bolted up the trailing arm and the upper arm to an accord but i didn't have time to bolt the lower arms or try routing the e-brake cable before i had to leave. there may be an issue with the upper arm part of the knuckle having clearance because it's thicker, but i won't know until i go back and bolt it all up.

that's it for now.

Vanilla Sky
01-24-2006, 10:28 PM
i might pull one from the junkyard here for like $40.

just a tip: when buying rear disk brake swaps, pull the whole rearend and leave it all attached to the crossmember. by doing this, you can purchase the whole assembly as a FWD rearend, and you get it all MUCH cheaper. we're talking a $100 price difference most times.

Oldblueaccord
01-25-2006, 01:05 AM
Hey Struggle

take a look at what fastbrakes sells for rear integras. He told me thats by far his best seller. Maybe theres something there you could use.

wp

buds302
01-25-2006, 04:43 AM
i used a set of legend rear calipers for my rear disc setup. the only reason was. the calipers i got from the sei were locked up! i tried heat and hammers and all thatn and nuthin worked. so i went to the j-yard lookin for a set of prelude rear discs that i seen there before. and came across the legend whisch looked exactly the same. so i got them and they work fine. BTW!!!!! my setup is for sale. full setup both sides with brake lines and all. new rotors and pads. whole setup for 175. the only thing i dont have is the propotioning valve. if you have an LXI then you dont really need it. Anybody ??

smufguy
01-25-2006, 06:58 AM
yo Buds, i might be interested. But the shipping is the only problem. Next month around the 4th, ill be in VA in Lynchburg. Maybe i could work something out with you?

Struggle. Do know that the stud pattern is different, so the 4X100 3g rims wont fit the legend hub. But yeah, the calipers are the same part numbers, Front and rear, and hence they will fit.

Strugglebucket
01-25-2006, 05:33 PM
yeah, the legend is 114x 4. you could always swap the front suspension too...or use dual pattern wheels. if it works, these are much easier to find than the se-i.

Vanilla Sky
01-25-2006, 05:54 PM
i'd rathre be stuck with a dual pattern wheel selection than not have the rear brakes.

and would the front swap? might be another thing to look at if those rotors are bigger than the 3gee.

Strugglebucket
01-25-2006, 06:02 PM
the fronts are 11" rotors with the same calipers as the accord. pretty sure the whole thing would swap.

Vanilla Sky
01-25-2006, 06:04 PM
in that case, we may be able to just use the hubs themselves and not have to swap the whole knuckle. matter of fact, i think i saw someone on here with a hub swap and was using 4th gen wheels. anyone remember that?

Strugglebucket
01-25-2006, 06:09 PM
you probably use the hubs but the knuckle's mounting point for the caliper is extended outward and that is what allows for the larger rotor.

smufguy
01-25-2006, 06:51 PM
hubs are not hard to swap, but the problem is getting the teeth count on them to match the stock ones so that the axle could slide in. if not, then we have to use a different teeth outer CV and use a different inner CV. its just a lot of work to swap them bitches out, but its a good thing tho.

PS: When i measure the 4g accord and the 3g accord at the junkyard, the suspension points seemed to be pretty much the same, as in the upper balljoint to the lower balljoint were pretty much the same, given us more or less the same knuckle height and the lower control arm seemed to have the fork to joint to balljoint points the same. but the only difference in the suspension is the upper points. Thus the 4g shocks and spring combo is a lot longer compared to the stock 3g parts.

1g lenged would be the awsome thing to do. So Struggle, if you can get some pics up whenever u get a chance, it would be great. i wish i knew guys at honda dealership. part comparison would be a breeze.

Strugglebucket
01-25-2006, 07:09 PM
i'll definately put pics up. i have a camera now, but no internet at the moment.

i looked at the 4g suspension too, and the biggest difference was the location of the mounting point for the tie rod. it was way off compared to the accord.

Bones
11-17-2006, 07:20 PM
So did anyone ever complete this conversion? Will the 88 Legend rear disc setup bolt up to a stock 89 LXi without any major mods?

I'm already looking at doing the 11" legend front rotor conversion and found this thread for the rear and figured I'd resurect the thread.

If both of these conversions will work I'll just get 4x114 wheels all the way around and skip the redrilling steps.

MessyHonda
11-17-2006, 07:26 PM
So did anyone ever complete this conversion? Will the 88 Legend rear disc setup bolt up to a stock 89 LXi without any major mods?
I'm already looking at doing the 11" legend front rotor conversion and found this thread for the rear and figured I'd resurect the thread.
If both of these conversions will work I'll just get 4x114 wheels all the way around and skip the redrilling steps.

some one sayed that they did the rear legend swap....they had to mod a bit...the guy said he got rid of the car so he could not take pics...look at legends thread for the front. you would need 4x100 for the front and 4x114 for the rear....and i think the guy said the car sat lower but he had coil overs and 2dual pattern of rims so he was lucky

Bones
11-17-2006, 07:48 PM
In the 11" front disc conversion they mentioned redrilling the hub to a 4 x 114 bolt pattern so they could use stock or over-the-counter legend rotors instead of drilling the rotors every time they have to be replaced.

There's also an old expired thread going about bolting up stock 94 Legend LS dual piston calipers to an 89 LXi knuckle as well.

11" front rotors with dual piston calipers and a rear disc conversion would be a massive stopping power upgrade. I'd spend the dough to get some 15 or 16" stock 4,5,or 6g accord wheels from a junkyard somewhere.

Legend_master
11-17-2006, 07:54 PM
In the 11" front disc conversion they mentioned redrilling the hub to a 4 x 114 bolt pattern so they could use stock or over-the-counter legend rotors instead of drilling the rotors every time they have to be replaced.
There's also an old expired thread going about bolting up stock 94 Legend LS dual piston calipers to an 89 LXi knuckle as well.
11" front rotors with dual piston calipers and a rear disc conversion would be a massive stopping power upgrade. I'd spend the dough to get some 15 or 16" stock 4,5,or 6g accord wheels from a junkyard somewhere.

Actually I dont think redrilling the hub was mentioned in that thread. I did try a legend hub on the accord spindle. That doesnt work. The 91-95 Legend calipers will bolt right onto the 89 LX-i accord hub as will the NSX calipers, but you will still need 11" rotors.

Bones
11-17-2006, 09:23 PM
Hmmm ... I wonder if it would be possible / practical to swap the whole steering knuckle with the 88 legend piece to get the right size spindle to mount the 4 x 114 hub too?

Starting to sound like an entire legend front steering set up. I bet the front struts meant to hold up a V6 would put some serious damping power on some lowered springs too.

I gotta replace my front axel shafts soon so I'm trying to get da wife to let me do some upgrades at the same time. :-D