PDA

View Full Version : Gas light comes on right after I put $2 in the tank and my gas guage is screwed up

Dennis
03-22-2004, 10:44 AM
My gas light is always coming on and off like when I have less than 2 gallons in the tank. Isn't it suppose to come on when you can only drive like 30 more miles and then you'll be out of gas or some shit? Also, my gas guage is all screwed up I put 5 dollars in an almost empty tank this morning. It was about 3 gallons and my gas hand raised to almost half a tank. I know that isn't right but is this a common problem with our cars and how much should i expect to pay/spend on getting it fixed? :dunno: Thanks.

87accordlxi
03-22-2004, 12:58 PM
There's nothing wrong with your gas light. It's supposed to come on when there's less than 2 gallons (or 1.5 gallons, I'm not sure) left in the tank. With only a gallon or two of fuel, you're not going to go much farther than 30 miles, especially in the city. So I don't think there is anything wrong with your sending unit. The gauge itself is probably acting up, so it'll require a trip to the junkyard and a new fuel/temp gauge assembly will cost under 10 bucks. But there's really no way to tell if the gauge you get from the yard is any more accurate than the one you have now.

cubert
03-22-2004, 02:06 PM
dennis, my gauge is similar. when my guage says empty and i go to fill it up, it only takes about 10 gallons of gas. because of this ive never seen my low fuel light

shepherd79
03-22-2004, 02:57 PM
the light supposed to come on when you have 2.5 galons left in the tank.