PDA

View Full Version : Headlights not working on low beam

Luis 89LXi
03-22-2004, 03:45 PM
My low beam went out yesterday nigth. I turn the switch on first position and side and tail ligths turns on, turn the switch on second position for low beam and the pop-up opens but no ligths, the high beam works when i push it.

I have to drive all nigth long from Sout Padre Island on TX to Mexico on high beam whit a paper piece to hold the high beams on.

did somebody has this same problem ? i was thinking on the switch but the pop-ups work when i turn it, all other ligths works good just no low beam.

Luis Z

Mike's89AccordLX
03-22-2004, 03:54 PM
That happend to me about a year ago and it was the combo switch.

Luis 89LXi
03-22-2004, 03:55 PM
you have that same problem, pop up works but no ligths ?
i was readin the FSM and i think on the Control Unit input/output or the Running Ligths Relay

Mike's89AccordLX
03-22-2004, 04:00 PM
I had that problem yes. Same symtoms and everything. I replaced the healight switch and it solved the problem. You could possibly take your switch off and clean the contact and try it b/c they might be just dirty. I didn't think of that when I did mine. I just replaced it with a donor car from the wreckers :)

Oh and Honda wanted to charge $150 for the part and $60 for labor. So don't even think about going that route.

Luis 89LXi
03-22-2004, 04:07 PM
thats a good idea, i'll take it out and clean the terminals before think on get another switch from a junk yard.

thank you mike.

Blue Impact
03-22-2004, 11:12 PM
You might wanna check your headlights before the combo switch. It happened to me twice when I still drive the 3G. First time was the headlights themselves. Can you believe both low beams going out at the same time? And then it was the combo switch the second time.

Luis 89LXi
03-23-2004, 12:43 PM
I change the combo switch a couple hours ago, that solve the problem, the old swicho has burned terminals. Ligths are OK now.

both combo switches has plastic screw holes broken the ones that hold the combo to the steering column, and moves when i move turn signals, its appear to be kind of common prob on combo switches.
Thank you for your replys

Luis

hatchback_racer
10-02-2004, 05:48 PM
I am having the same problem. but I checked the wires in teh fuse box with a light tester, and it shows power commin on. I have changed the relays, the fuse box, looked under the hood and the headlight mains fuses are getting power, I did a jump wire and they come on fine.. but with the switch, no lights!!

Mac
10-02-2004, 06:29 PM
Does the dash lights come on? Do the headlights extend and retract? Is both the high beams and low beams not working?

The fuses under the hood are before the combo switch. The relays are for the retract motors.

With combo switch in low beam position you should have voltage on fuse # 6 & 7 in the dash fuse box. With the combo switch in high beams you should have voltage on fuse # 8 & 9 in the dash fuse box. This is for 87 and 88, but I think it's the same for an 86.

rally88lxi
10-02-2004, 06:56 PM
I had the same exact problem. If I fiddled with the switch a little the lights might flash on and off. I just replaced the entire combo switch because it eventually broke permanently from all the fiddling. Look on Ebay, there are like 5, i just bought one for $40 and installed it myself(it was easy). Honda wants like $300. :rockon:

hatchback_racer
10-02-2004, 07:20 PM
Does the dash lights come on? Do the headlights extend and retract? Is both the high beams and low beams not working?

The fuses under the hood are before the combo switch. The relays are for the retract motors.

With combo switch in low beam position you should have voltage on fuse # 6 & 7 in the dash fuse box. With the combo switch in high beams you should have voltage on fuse # 8 & 9 in the dash fuse box. This is for 87 and 88, but I think it's the same for an 86.

they have power.. so, I am goin to replace the switch tomorrow.. hope it works

maka_RTH
10-02-2004, 07:24 PM
have you checked to see if the light itself works? if those fuses are getting power(and the fuses are good), then that should mean the combo switch works..., if i understood correctly

bobafett
10-02-2004, 07:24 PM
i rewire my headlights cause my lows werent working, i tested the fuse and it tested good. my brilliant mother suggested changing the fuse anyway (after i rewired it and it still didnt work) and low and behold it worked... fucking fuses

TheSummoner101
10-26-2004, 03:59 PM
I had that problem yes. Same symtoms and everything. I replaced the healight switch and it solved the problem. You could possibly take your switch off and clean the contact and try it b/c they might be just dirty. I didn't think of that when I did mine. I just replaced it with a donor car from the wreckers :)

Oh and Honda wanted to charge $150 for the part and $60 for labor. So don't even think about going that route.
i had a similar problem with my windshield wipers, cleaned those things with some "q-tips" and worked fine after that...