PDA

View Full Version : Rust Removal

jim89
03-23-2004, 05:27 AM
Just wanted to pass on this info .I tried this process of rust removal on some tools and it works pretty good.Example, I found a Vice Grip laying around that had rusted up,the adjusting screw wouldnt turn and the spring was trash, I oiled it and got it to work so so, when I saw this process I put the whole thing in the bucket completely assembled and it came out fine, didnt harm the chrome,I did a set of feeler gages, again it just treated the rust and left the numbers intact (I dont know if they are acid etched or painted) so if you need to remove rust this method is a lot easier and will work without damaging the metal.http://www.stovebolt.com/techtips/rust/electrolytic_derusting.htm

shepherd79
03-23-2004, 09:53 AM
cool, thanks man.

ACCORD EX
03-26-2004, 02:27 AM
so you need to put the whole thing in this water mixture !?? but what if the whole thing is rust ! nothing will be left !??
and ican't use this procedure on a car ??

Mike !

jim89
03-26-2004, 06:32 AM
[QUOTE=ACCORD EX]so you need to put the whole thing in this water mixture !?? but what if the whole thing is rust ! nothing will be left !??
and ican't use this procedure on a car ??

I just started using this process myself , so I don't claim to be an expert, as it says in the article and I have seen for myself, it will only remove the rust then the chemical reaction stops as the author says it is self limiting, but if all you have is rust, well you didn't need it anyway LOL, there is a mention in the article about using a sponge on larger objects, I guess a little experimentation is needed, CAUTION!!!! do this OUTSIDE I noticed when I was around it my throat would become a little irritated. If you're not sure about it find some rusted piece of junk and give it a try, also try something like an old chrome plated lug nut and you'll see that only the rust and not the chrome will be affected.

ACCORD EX
03-29-2004, 04:34 AM
well i am sorry i can't move this to the how to's because it's not car related and even if it is , we don't have a confirmation ! may be we will wait for more inputs on the subjects !

Mike !