PDA

View Full Version : idle/stall problems

coastie
07-11-2002, 06:11 PM
My car started missing slightly at idle. Every time I turn on the A/C or put it in gear the engine drops from 1600 rpm's to 100 to 200 rpm's and or stalls. The engine skips at all speeds from 10 to 75mph's and dies when I stop 50% of the time.
88 accord lx (carb)
automatic with A/C
143,000 miles
Maintenance I performed trying to fix problem are:
changed wires (twice) plugs (twice) cap and rotor, distributor and vac advance (twice), both fuel filters, electrical box under driver seat and box on the hump, checked for vac leaks, carb cleaner, fuel water cleaner, two tanks of gas.
Carried to Honda mechanic and he couldn't fix without just trying to replace parts till he could find the problem. I can do that myself, I'm just out of options where to look next. Love the car and not ready to give up yet, could really use some good advice.

shepherd79
07-11-2002, 06:25 PM
it sound like the problem i had.
i would turn AC and my car would start loosing idle. well, it didn't take long time for AC compresor to die. Check is the AC is full may be you need to charge it or recharge it.
My AC compressor locked up so i couln't even start the engine.
i just cutted the belt.

coastie
07-11-2002, 06:46 PM
even with a/c off. If I shift into gear the same thing happens. Is there some type of idle valve i need to look at. problem most noticably when engine takes a load on it.

DanG86LX
07-11-2002, 09:37 PM
Here: http://87accord.com/carbpage.html
Left side of carb view: "J" = vacuum diaphragm port, a/c idle boost
Unplug vacuum line from "j" and plug the line with a screw.

Anyway, haven't seen COIL in your "trying to fix" list.

DanG :p

coastie
07-12-2002, 05:31 PM
tried plugging the "j" line. no joy still have problem. Mechanic swap coil with used one , made no difference. thanks for the suggestions. Still open for more.

rocky2
07-13-2002, 04:25 AM
Take a look at your timing belt marks and condition of belt itself. Also did your attempt a carb idle adjustment with engine at operating tempurture? And maybe plug the larger vacum lines right at intake and then see how it runs.:)

njpeter
07-13-2002, 11:12 AM
I've got one. $300.

Of course I will first advise you to find the vac leak, your idle control system isn't working. When the A/C is switched on, the idle speed is boosted by a vac controller..adjusted with a thumbscrew. Swapping the carb is last resort...really only when the power valve is shot.

Find a mechanic that will troublseshoot with brain, not parts department..cost ya 2hr labor..+ whatever expensive air control valve you need.

Hint:check the two control valves on the drivers side of the engine, the 1/8 in vac nipples snap off..makes driving in traffic impossible. Hard to detect.

I studied the silver bible for months before I could figure out what was really going on with my weird-o idle issues.

I'd be worried that all the partswapping may now be creating other problems with incorrectly connected hoses.

My real problems turned out to be iginition coil related btw, but the plus side was that there is sothing like a smooth running carbed 3g I marvel at the way it controls the idle speed, regardless of the load..all those little elves...

coastie
07-13-2002, 07:45 PM
could you give me more information on what the two valves look like on the drivers side, I would apreciate it.