PDA

View Full Version : Anybody Still Have Their "Basic" Key?

Jonessoda27
03-23-2004, 07:19 PM
I got two 3 gee blank keys but they said its too old and they told me to go somewhere else to get it cut! They also didn't have the basic key i wanted!!! Does anybody still have their basic key??!? I really want to get a basic key, because it'd be cool to. I don't know im at least happy that i have to honda originals. Side note, the key that i have is like a cole key and it opens everything except the trunk lock inside the door and the glove box. This goes against what the owners manual said about the master key working on everything and the basic key only working on the ignition and door locks? Any thoughts? What's wrong?? :stupid:

Does anybody still have their basic key??!? :stupid:

*This same message is contained in another post*

k-roy
03-23-2004, 07:22 PM
Do you mean the valet key? Thats the more common name for it.
I still have mine, I have it hidden for emergencies.
I think dealerships might still be able to cut them for you.

BensAccordLxi
03-23-2004, 07:53 PM
I got mine. I even have the salesmans card stapled to the owners maual. I can't get the dealership to cut me a new key to my 95 Talon. They said the key is too hard to duplicate. I was told that a Chrysler dealership, Dodge dealership, and even a Mitsubishi dealership. I couldn't even get a key place to cut it because they say it needs a special adapter to cut the key right. I had Dodge try it and the key works some times and it bent from me trying to use it.

DanLXI88
03-23-2004, 08:21 PM
I have 2 master keys that unlock everything and 1 valet key. All came with the car back in 88. I also have another honda stamped master key that we had got made the day we bought the car. I LOVE that one key does it all unlike my Olds and many FORDs

dXsquared
03-23-2004, 08:50 PM
oh! i get it.. i cant open my trunk from the outside cuz i dont have the MASTER key.. i guess im usin a valet key?? its got plastic and says HONDA tho?!? wtf???

Travis

Jonessoda27
03-23-2004, 09:13 PM
open your drivers door look down and there should be a aslot for a key! put your key in and twist. Then it should work on the outside. Thats my suggestion. :dunno:

MIK3
03-23-2004, 09:32 PM
Yeup. I have a 2 master keys (Black handeled ones) and then 2 of the other kinds of keys. However, all 4 can open and turn on everything for the car, kind of nice. All 4 keys came with the car when I recieved it.

dXsquared
03-23-2004, 09:44 PM
no lock for me.. i got a hatch back... i dunno.. maybe its just broken??? oh well... the pull cord works great

Travis

Silver86LX
03-23-2004, 10:13 PM
I have 2 Honda stamped ones and 1 valet key for my '86, and my '89 has 2 Honda stamped ones and one Honda stamped one with a round handle (haven't tried it yet). I think the round handled one might be for the glove box.

87AccordsterLx
03-24-2004, 07:22 AM
All I have is one original master key. :( Some old woman owned my car before me so I am sure she lost it or just forgot to give it to me. She was the original owner though... The only benifet is that she drove the car like an old woman would. I can tell it was never abused.

Vinny
03-24-2004, 08:04 AM
Side note, the key that i have is like a cole key and it opens everything except the trunk lock inside the door and the glove box. This goes against what the owners manual said about the master key working on everything and the basic key only working on the ignition and door locks? Any thoughts? What's wrong??

The key you have is the Valet key. The difference between it and the regular master key is that the very end of the key is elongated where it goes into the cylinder. Thats why you can't lock the glove box or the trunk lock. I had the same problem with my hatch. I was only given one key when I bought the car and it didn't open the trunk. After a long talk with the Honda dealer here in town, who doesn't make keys, we came to the conclusion that I had a valet key. I took it into a local locksmith and they made me a master key off the valet that I had. He had some problems doing it though. I think he had to cut and grind down the tip of the key. Anyways they got it done and now I can open everything

XxDark_AccordxX
03-24-2004, 12:41 PM
I thought one key was supposed to open everything? At least in honda anywayz. i have one main key that i got with the car (the one with the plastic black on top and says honda) and that opens everythin including the glovebox and trunk. Then i have 2 more copies that i made for my parents and one of my friends. Its the same exact key it just doesnt have the plastic honda stuff. they're just silver. The guy told me the key was kinda old but he was still able to do it

Vinny
03-24-2004, 12:53 PM
There is a key that opens everything but there is also a key that only works in the doors and the ignition. The one that only does doors and ignition is whats called a valet key, as in valet parking. The reasoning is that if you go somewhere and use valet parking you give them the valey key rather than your whole keychain or even just your main key. That way they can park your car and you can secure any belongings in the trunk or glovebox because someone who has a Valet key can't unlock the trunk or glovebox.

XxDark_AccordxX
03-24-2004, 12:55 PM
There is a key that opens everything but there is also a key that only works in the doors and the ignition. The one that only does doors and ignition is whats called a valet key, as in valet parking. The reasoning is that if you go somewhere and use valet parking you give them the valey key rather than your whole keychain or even just your main key. That way they can park your car and you can secure any belongings in the trunk or glovebox because someone who has a Valet key can't unlock the trunk or glovebox.

ohh wow ive never heard of that. That makes sense tho. I never got the key either :burn:

Jonessoda27
03-28-2004, 09:10 PM
ill get in touch with a locksmith and try to have him make a master key for me!

DeathRat
03-29-2004, 05:41 AM
Yeah I still got my original Honda Master & Valet key too....The ONLY place I could find to cut another Master Key was the Honda dealer though....It seems the Valet key is shorter in length than the Master key. The Valet key can be cut any where it seems. the Master key will unlock EVERYTHING! The Valet key will ONLY work on the Driver's Door & Ignition though!

sporkHSP
03-29-2004, 04:15 PM
i got all three, my valet key stays in my wallet incase i ever lose my keys (again)...its useful at the junkyard when my keys fall out inside cars and i need to go back in and find them, i can leave all my stuff in the car and go in after my real keys...

Coitis1
03-29-2004, 07:17 PM
all i have is 2 valet keys. They only work the doors and ignition, kinda blows. I coulda sworn that right after i got the car, they keys would work on the lock for the trunk release, but they don't know. Can u even get master keys cut for our cars nowadays?

Coitis1
03-29-2004, 07:21 PM
wait, wait, wait; is it the valet key or the master key that has a slightly longer tip?

DBMaster
03-29-2004, 07:27 PM
I actually have two original, plastic headed keys and one plastic headed valet key. The valet key has never been used. One of my master keys has been in a drawer and I call it the "Mother Key" as it has only been used to make copies. I prefer to use metal copies because the plastic headed keys are too bulky on my key ring in my pocket.

It is really not very expensive to get a new master or valet key made at a dealership if you need one. I got one made for a used vehicle that came with no original keys. None of the copies worked very smoothly in the locks so I got one cut at the dealership from the codes. All I had to so was call the manufacturer and provide proof of ownership and they did the rest. Cost me $11.

bobsaccord
03-31-2004, 03:06 PM
i dont have the valet key wtf? so this must mean theres someone out there who has this key and can break into my car! grrrr

POS carb
03-31-2004, 05:24 PM
the only difference between the valet key and the standard key is that the valet key has a narrower cut at the tip, it doesn't matter what the key looks like physically, you can cut your honda key on a house key.
Sometimes the dealer can get your key codes from the VIN # (mine didn't work, I had a copy made)