PDA

View Full Version : Cruise Control problem

kruddler
03-23-2004, 08:55 PM
I decided to tackle the my problems with the cruise control today. The horn also did not work either. The first thing I did was take everything apart in the steering column and clean and put back together. That did not work still no horns. So I took the bumper off, this sucked because nearly every fastener had to be drilled out. I pulled the horns out and the three out of the four terminals were broken. I went to the junkyard filled my pockets with new nut plates, fasteners and two horns. Installed the new horns still no noise. I noticed that the white/yellow wire had the wire showing thru the insulation. I replaced both of theses wires with brand spanking new wire. Viola the horns finally sounded. First time since I owned the car. I thought this would solve the cruise issue.

When I road tested the cruise light would come on after I depressed the SET button, however it would quickly turn back off and not engage.

Could it be something with the solenoid?
I got no idea at this point. Anyone else have a similar problem and fix it?
:dunno:

shepherd79
03-24-2004, 04:06 AM
ok, sounds like it is not pluged in. check the wire connections cruise control module under the hood. it is that big round thing on driver side closer to power steering.
if you need a new one, i have one somewhere. just make me and offer and it is yours.

atom1414
03-24-2004, 09:44 AM
where are the fuses that are connected to the horns. both my horn and cruise control dont work either. I figure it just a fuse, but I cant find it. I can only find horn stop

Mac
03-24-2004, 01:50 PM
where are the fuses that are connected to the horns. both my horn and cruise control dont work either. I figure it just a fuse, but I cant find it. I can only find horn stop

Under the hood in the fuse/relay box fuse #4 is for the horns and brake switch which is involved in the cruise control circuit. Then there is fuse #4 in the dash fuse box that is for the power to the cruise control.

86LXItooFAST4me
03-24-2004, 01:55 PM
hey, mine worked for like the first month i had my car and then went out, check all fuses and everything is fine. the light buy the button comes on but when i try to set it with the steering wheel nothing happens, the light in the guges doesnt even come on now. any idea? or any one have an extra cruize controle unit?

Mac
03-24-2004, 02:36 PM
Under the hood in the fuse/relay box fuse #4 is for the horns and brake switch which is involved in the cruise control circuit. Then there is fuse #4 in the dash fuse box that is for the power to the cruise control.

BTW this applies to an 88, I'm not a 100% sure that it is the same on an 89, but I think it should be. #4 under the hood is a 20 amp and #4 in the dash is a 7.5 amp.

hey, mine worked for like the first month i had my car and then went out, check all fuses and everything is fine. the light buy the button comes on but when i try to set it with the steering wheel nothing happens, the light in the guges doesnt even come on now. any idea? or any one have an extra cruize controle unit?

Some things you might want to check could be the disengage switches. The brake switch and if you have a 5 speed the clutch switch.