PDA

View Full Version : Power Antenna clicking but not going! HELP!

cyclone21
03-24-2004, 04:14 AM
Link Engine Management, Version4 Wire in model with tuning via PC Link.
Mitsubishi VR4 intake fuel pump.
H22A Injectors.
Boost Gauge
Turbo Timer
Turbo RS Legacy ihi10
Intercooler Mitsubishi GSR
Filter & intake piping & intercooler piping
2.5" mandrel bent exhaust.
Custom manifold, and BOV.

I am planning/purchasing products to boost my Accord EXi, how does the setup sound, any comments on the parts I am choosing, or anything you think I will need extra?

Thanks guys!

Hi Guys,

My Power Antenna in my NZNew 1989 Accord EXi is not working.

When I push the button for it to go up and down all I hear is a "click click click" sound. I understand that I have to remove a lot of dash to get to the Antenna motor, does anyone have a how-to or pictures of what I should be looking for. :dunno:

Also once I get there will I need a new power Antenna or will I be able to re-thread the antenna into the motor. Honda NZ seem to think I will need a new power antenna which I priced up at between 50-60$.

Please help :)

Blkblurr
03-24-2004, 04:17 AM
Your antenna is bent. Try straightening it first. put a little lube on it also.

accordlxi2.0
03-24-2004, 06:34 AM
if that does'nt work just get one from the junker's.

thegreatdane
03-24-2004, 07:46 AM
If you lube it, theres just gonna build up even more filth on the antenna than there probably already is, making it even worse.

Blue Impact
03-24-2004, 08:23 AM
Have somebody pull on the antenna while you get the switch or vice versa. Once you're about to get the antenna out, see if it's bent or something. If it is, just try and straighten it out. If it's not bent try spraying some WD-40 on it. Hope this helps. Good luck.

'89AccordLX(Rus)
03-24-2004, 05:37 PM
There have been several threads about the antenna removal and repair. If you search for antenna you should find them. Hope this helps.

PsychoPaul
03-25-2004, 03:12 PM
if your antenna clicks STOP! because your going to wear out the toothed plastic thingy (yeah very technical) and then you will have to replace your entire antenna and cable. I would just try a little wd-40 and jiggle it a bit. then have someone pull on the antenna while you are pressing on the switch to extend it. (oops someone mentioned that already)
I had the same problem on my camry and then the antenna never worked.

Bloodlust
03-25-2004, 03:49 PM
Sounds like either a bent or broken antenna mast. Like others said try lubing it, and if its broken ur going to have to get a stock replacement mast or an entire new antenna assembly. New ones from honda arent cheap, I am in the same ordeal. $120 just for a mast.

'89AccordLX(Rus)
03-25-2004, 04:12 PM
if your antenna clicks STOP! because your going to wear out the toothed plastic thingy (yeah very technical) and then you will have to replace your entire antenna and cable. I would just try a little wd-40 and jiggle it a bit. then have someone pull on the antenna while you are pressing on the switch to extend it. (oops someone mentioned that already)
I had the same problem on my camry and then the antenna never worked.

There is no "toothed thingy" on these cars. The antenna cable is smooth plastic with a knot-like plastic piece clamped to the motor side. The motor is supposed to click. There is a special mechanism inside that clicks once the antenna extends or retracts fully. What happends though, is your antenna is bound up, so the mechanism reacts to the excessive resistance and clicks, basically letting the motor free-wheel.

If you antenna is not kinked, it may be slightly bent from being extended continuously or from some other reason. As mentioned before, try to help the motor by hand, and maybe straighten the antenna. Also, light oil works well for lubricating the antenna, but don't use it excessively. If this doesn't help, you may need to take out the antenna and inspect it. If it is fine, then your motor is probably dirty or worn out. One of the board members here has successfuly cleaned his antenna motor, and it worked fine afterwards.
Hope this helps.

Blkblurr
03-26-2004, 10:06 AM
If you lube it, theres just gonna build up even more filth on the antenna than there probably already is, making it even worse.
No it won't. Depends on the lube you use. I've done mine several times in 15 years and has not built up any dirt or grime. Still works fine.

DBMaster
03-26-2004, 07:45 PM
The best thing I have found to use is dry teflon spray lubricant. One can will last you for many years. I bought one a few years ago at the closest Sears service and parts center. It goes on as a liquid and when it dries leaves behind a thin coat of dry teflon.

A couple of times a year I will clean the antenna with some solvent (acetone or paint thinner) and spray it again. Mine still works (as well as these things ever did) fine after 15 years.

Busted_Blue
03-27-2004, 01:20 AM
I also have a problem similar to this, but the antennae will go up and down to a certain point. It wont go all the way down to the top of the roof. There is a little bit stuck up. WHen i try and aid it in moving down it wont budge. Any suggestions?

Blkblurr
03-27-2004, 04:29 AM
the teflon stuff is about the best to use as DBMaster said. I use something similar but I get it from our shop at work. It is teflon based as well.

PsychoPaul
03-27-2004, 06:28 AM
There is no "toothed thingy" on these cars. The antenna cable is smooth plastic with a knot-like plastic piece clamped to the motor side. The motor is supposed to click. There is a special mechanism inside that clicks once the antenna extends or retracts fully. What happends though, is your antenna is bound up, so the mechanism reacts to the excessive resistance and clicks, basically letting the motor free-wheel.

Oh thanks for clarifying that.